Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

How do ISO 9001 Requirements apply to 2 sets of specifications to 2 separate vendors?

K

k_imber_ly

Hello, this is my 2nd post to the Cove. How do ISO 9001:2008 Requirements apply to 2 sets of specifications to 2 separate vendors for the same part? We outsource the fabrication of one of our parts. The foundries have different available processes for depositing metal on our part. The result from both vendors is the same part with the same final specifications being satisfied. Due to our long standing relationship with the primary vendor, we have to spell out specification benchmarks that must be reached along the fabrication process to ensure that the final product meets our specifications. I know they should figure this out for themselves, but our best result is for us to supply them with different process specifications than the secondary vendor.

For primary vendor: Part = 1003218 Rev A2, Specification Document = 1003218 Rev A2

The question is, for the secondary vendor, what does ISO require from us?

my proposal:
For secondary vendor: Part = 1003218 Rev B1, Specification Document = 1003218 Rev B1

Then, when/if we must make dramatic changes to our primary vendor's specification document, we will up it to 1003218 Rev C1. Right?

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Re: How do ISO 9001 Requirements apply to 2 sets of specifications to 2 separate vend

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you saying that your part number is 1003218, and you want to maintain it at two different revision levels? Aside from ISO 9001 requirements, this sounds like trouble to me, unless I've misunderstood you.

K

k_imber_ly

Re: How do ISO 9001 Requirements apply to 2 sets of specifications to 2 separate vend

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you saying that your part number is 1003218, and you want to maintain it at two different revision levels? Aside from ISO 9001 requirements, this sounds like trouble to me, unless I've misunderstood you.
We are trying to figure out how we can satisfy ISO 9001:2008 when we have the same product number but 2 different specification requirement documents going to 2 different companies for the same part. Any ideas?

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator

We are trying to figure out how we can satisfy ISO 9001:2008 when we have the same product number but 2 different specification requirement documents going to 2 different companies for the same part. Any ideas?
If you invoke control that makes sense, you will have satisfied ISO 9001 requirements. You should be able to demonstrate that for each supplier, configuration control (in this case, ensuring that each supplier has the right documentation) is effective. If you can do that, you can do pretty much whatever you want to do with numbering.

Top Bottom