How do you know you actually need to seek ISO 13485 certification?

M

MichelleMcR

Hello Cove. :bigwave:

I have spent much of this last week logged in and searching The Cove and other resources for answers for top management at my company. They have asked me to research what it would take to add 13485 to our existing 9001:2008 certification. Primarily, however, my question is how do you know you actually need to seek 13485 certification?

Here is some basic background information about our company: We are an EMS provider that manufactures circuit boards primarily for industrial and agricultural products. We have not done any Design outside of DFM and are exempt (under 9001) from all parts of 7.3, but 7.3.1, 7.3.2, and 7.3.7. We have only been involved in medical devices through the production of circuit boards used in the analysis of medical samples (cell analysis devices, sample preparation devices, lasers).

After some research on The Cove, I've found multiple resources and tools that delineate the differences between the two standards that have been quite helpful. I also found a document (of which I didn't keep a copy & that I have, of course, been unable to find again) that stated that it may be unnecessary for circuit board manufacturers to be 13485 certified as long as our device is a part of a greater assembly and does not come into direct contact with a customer? If this is true we'll just need to educate our sales team on how to respond to that question in a sales call, but my knowledge is very limited beyond 9001.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, outside of a specific customer request/requirement, when does it benefit a circuit board manufacturer to seek 13485 certification?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
ISO 13485 is a voluntary standard. There is no legal requirement to be registered.

If your medical customers aren't asking for it and are happy with your ISO9001 reg then there really isn't a compelling reason to get it, in my mind.
Maybe there are potential customers that would see it as a plus so it could be a marketing concern?
I would be more concerned with what parts of the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 applies to your medical business... I'm not familiar with electronics so I can't say specifically.

R

Reg Morrison

So, I guess what I'm asking is, outside of a specific customer request/requirement, when does it benefit a circuit board manufacturer to seek 13485 certification?
Many contract manufacturers like to have as many badges as possible in order to attract new business. So, it would be natural for a contract manufacturer trying to expand on the medical device sector to seek certification to ISO 13485. If you are deemed a critical supplier to an OEM, their Notified Body might "expect" you to have the certification or be subjected to audits by them.

If you are seeking certification for marketing purposes, be aware: due to the new IAF MD9 document, you would be looking at much longer and costlier audits compared to ISO 9001. Check Annex D of the document.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Many contract manufacturers like to have as many badges as possible in order to attract new business. So, it would be natural for a contract manufacturer trying to expand on the medical device sector to seek certification to ISO 13485. If you are deemed a critical supplier to an OEM, their Notified Body might "expect" you to have the certification or be subjected to audits by them.
In the medical devices context, "Contract Manufacturer" usually refers to a manufacturer of finished devices. This doesn't seem to be the case of the OP. They may be subject to NB surveillance through the auditing of their clients, but there shouldn't be an expectation for ISO 13485 in that. Sure, NBs may "expect" anything and everything, but I wouldn't recommend making business decisions based solely on that, especially when one is not the party hiring the NB's services.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Looking at what you say what you do, and reading into ISO13485, 3. Terms and definitions, and in particular the 3.7., you are nowhere a medical device manufacturer.
But, the need for certification is market driven, as said by others.
If your customer is more clear about ISO13485, and you are strong about your ISO9001, (which in itself is so good to any industry when implemented in its true spirits) there is no need of an ISO13485 for you.
You and your customer can however interpret the 3.7 to be applicable to you, and your CB will be more than willing to help you get the ISO13485, which adds to his business, and you take away also the ISO9001 for free ....

M

MichelleMcR

I don't have a copy of the standard, yet. Can someone tell me what Terms and Definitions 3.7 says or where to find it online, for now? I have found all sections starting at 4 online somewhere, but none of the first 3 sections (although, I do know what the titles of the sections are).

Also, I am confused by the classifications of the devices. I have found definitions of Class I, II (a & b), and III devices issued by the FDA. Are these the classifications everyone is using?

V

Vthouta

Hi Michelle,

It would be a wise idea for you to go ahead and get ISO 13485 for your manufacturing facility. Since, you are already doing well on the ISO, you can add this medical certificate by taking the help from CB you are currently enrolled with. This will help your sales team to boost for medical devices. Majority of the time the customers look for companies that have certified for ISO 13485, as part of the supplier qualification process for circuit board manufacturers.

The FDA medical device class and IPC-class for circuit boards are bit different. Don't be confused, as we EMS associates use class for IPC.
FDA -medical classes device:
Go on FDA and check for Frequently Asked Questions About
Medical Devices -

Section 3.7:
medical device
any instrument, apparatus, implement, machine, appliance, implant, in vitro reagent or calibrator, software, material or other similar or related article, intended by the manufacturer to be used, alone or in combination, for human beings for one or more of the specific purpose(s) of
? diagnosis, prevention, monitoring, treatment or alleviation of disease,
? diagnosis, monitoring, treatment, alleviation of or compensation for an injury,
? investigation, replacement, modification, or support of the anatomy or of a physiological process,
? supporting or sustaining life,
? control of conception,
? disinfection of medical devices,
? providing information for medical purposes by means of in vitro examination of specimens derived from the human body,
and which does not achieve its primary intended action in or on the human body by pharmacological, immunological or metabolic means, but which may be assisted in its function by such means.
This has been published by ISO 13485 online and just do a quick search on google.

I couldn't post any links, as the forum doesn't allow me, as I'm pretty new to elsmar.

Since you have started research you can buy the Quality standard for your firm to get full access to all sections.

Hope this clears some of your questions.

Vikram

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D IATF 16949 FAQ 24 (8.4.2.2 Countries of Destination) - How is this actually being interpreted? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
SteveK Does anyone know what a healthcare GDSN data pool actually looks like? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
R Are the ISO Standards actually required for health product registration on ANVISA? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
T ISO Auditor Training - What online training is actually value added? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S What does "review" of records actually mean? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
S What the Product actually is - Software Technologies to optimize Telco ?stuff"? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Verifying Calibration of Hardness Gauge vs Actually Calibrating It General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Who is ACTUALLY measuring your parts for nonconformities? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E Certification of ISO 28000 Lead Auditors - Which organisations are actually qualified Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
S Licensed Quality Engineer - Which states actually license "Quality Engineers"? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 22
Chris Ford So it actually is Friday today... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc Who in your company actually 'uses' the Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 33
W Can Process Validation actually be Design Verification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M ANSI-Y14.5M vs. ASME-Y14.5M - Does an ANSI-Y14.5M-1994 document actually exist? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
B Does the ISO/TS 16949 standard actually require the title "QUALITY POLICY" to be used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Does anyone actually do a Pareto of the Top 5 (highest) RPN's of PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 8
D Zero Acceptance Sampling - Is anyone is actually using this? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J TFRR - What is actually required to be TEST FAILURE RESOLUTION REPORT Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
V Product Audit - What is actually required to be audited during product audit? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Manix Staging Process - Some confusion about what this stage actually is Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
Marc Call Center Quality - This Call Actually Is Being Monitored For Quality Assurance World News 5
J Pursuing certification to ISO 13485 (actually 13488) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
Marc Inspection Criteria - ISO 14253-1 is actually a disguised guardband Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Do I need a qualified compiler for class B software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Proof of Concept Studies - Do we need to comply with SAE reporting? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
G Need resources / tutorials about OPS (Operation) for ISO IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Do we need to QA cert? We only plan to supply reagents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3