How do you manage Customer Specific Requirements (CSRs)?

M

MarkPiotrowski

Plant with ~140 employees, 4 in the Quality Assurance dept. My boss the QA mgr does very little with the QMS system. As the QMS Supervisor I have primary command and control of all things TS-16949. We have a Production Inspection Supervisor who must spend 1/2 his day with direct supervision of various production inspection issues. He is helpful and knowledgeable, but is time constrained to say the least. We have 1 clerk who we share between the 3 of us. I have essentially no internal Quality Audit Team save the clerk and Production Inspector and 1 other supervisor who does some decent auditing. I am new to QA and am as green as they come, but did pass the AIAG RABQSA Lead Auditor TS16949 training (which I now affectionatley refer to as my 4.5 day affair in "beautiful" Southfield, MI).

So the question... I am inheriting a dreadful mess with regard to 5.2 Customer Focus since we have done a very poor job of managing CSRs. Some are old, most are not reviewed and many are not even remotely integrated into our system at the level I'd like to see. At first glance I'm looking at 35-40 subscribing customers... Anyone have any good ideas besides updating my resume?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Plant with ~140 employees, 4 in the Quality Assurance dept. My boss the QA mgr does very little with the QMS system. As the QMS Supervisor I have primary command and control of all things TS-16949. We have a Production Inspection Supervisor who must spend 1/2 his day with direct supervision of various production inspection issues. He is helpful and knowledgeable, but is time constrained to say the least. We have 1 clerk who we share between the 3 of us. I have essentially no internal Quality Audit Team save the clerk and Production Inspector and 1 other supervisor who does some decent auditing. I am new to QA and am as green as they come, but did pass the AIAG RABQSA Lead Auditor TS16949 training (which I now affectionatley refer to as my 4.5 day affair in "beautiful" Southfield, MI).

So the question... I am inheriting a dreadful mess with regard to 5.2 Customer Focus since we have done a very poor job of managing CSRs. Some are old, most are not reviewed and many are not even remotely integrated into our system at the level I'd like to see. At first glance I'm looking at 35-40 subscribing customers... Anyone have any good ideas besides updating my resume?
A convenient way to identify and manage your Customer Specific requirements (CSRs) is to develop a CSR Matrix.

See my post + attachment. The matrix is an older version of CSRs, but can be easily modified to meet your needs.

Hope this helps!

Stijloor.

X

xpcids

Your situation are almost like me. I'm new to QA to about just 2-3 year after switch from process eng. In my current company I work, contribution/involvement of top management towards ISO activity are very poor. Regarding about CSR. I have lot of old CSR and we manage it manually.

I did call for a meeting with factory side (Production & QC) to review which product already discontinue and mark its status on CSR master list.

During TS 16949 audit last November, the auditor ask When we receive CSR? Who reviewed it? When it was reviewed? When we reply the CSR to customer?

Then they suggest us to make a stamp with 3 column (received, reviewed,reply).

Hope this will help you and I'm sorry if my English are bad.

S

silentrunning

I like Stijloor's matrix and may try to adapt it in the future - time permitting. For now our company keeps all Customer Requirements on our mainframe. All our people involved with product realization have access to the mainframe. We have each customer's name on the mainframe and the employee can pull up any NC record as well as the customer Quality Requirements. This would probably be cumbersome if our company was larger, but seems to work well for us now.

AgnieszkaSz

Involved In Discussions
We have a column "CSR" in Customer Responsibility Matrix, which links directly to a subfolder with documents related to each customer. There is only a question to locate all documents in dedicated place. In case of CSRs placed on customers portals, there is a person who does monthly checks and informs the relevant people about any changes (in form of change memo). We have around 80 different customers and, frankly speaking, the real problem lies in keeping the CSRs up to date. They are identified at contract review stage and - at least in theory - the sales should review these informations at least yearly.

M

MarkPiotrowski

Thank you for the responses.

I guess I should have given a bit more detail. We are already in the process of creating a matrix. It's one thing to collect the Supplier Quality Manuals and CSR's. Once you get your hands on it, you then have to go line by line, match it up to the TS clause and see where the customer requires something additional/special. So once this exercise is completed, you then have to assure the entire document pyramid reflects these CSRs. I guess my thought is the actual matrix itself is maybe 10% of the actual work which seems to be where most of the answers pointed. How is everyone accomplishing the other 90% and how should I proceed in doing this with my current resources.

I have attached what we have so far...

Attachments

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you for the responses.

I guess I should have given a bit more detail. We are already in the process of creating a matrix. It's one thing to collect the Supplier Quality Manuals and CSR's. Once you get your hands on it, you then have to go line by line, match it up to the TS clause and see where the customer requires something additional/special. So once this exercise is completed, you then have to assure the entire document pyramid reflects these CSRs. I guess my thought is the actual matrix itself is maybe 10% of the actual work which seems to be where most of the answers pointed. How is everyone accomplishing the other 90% and how should I proceed in doing this with my current resources.

I have attached what we have so far...
There is no need to retype all the CSR's in the Matrix, not unless you want to. The CSR Matrix that I developed just refers the "headers/titles" of the applicable CSR's and aligns them with ISO/TS 16949:2009.

The Matrix has two main purposes:
  • Demonstrate that all applicable CSR's have identified.
  • Preparing for a process audit.
  • Demonstrate that the CSR's are indeed addressed during an internal audit.
My Process Matrix (another tool) refers to the ISO/TS requirements that apply to each of the determined QMS Processes. In preparation for a process audit, all you need to do is look at the requirements and CSR's that apply to each of the processes. Voila, no duplication of effort! Most of the CSR's overlap anyway...:notme:

Best!

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q How to manage with customer % failed product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G How do OEM's manage Special Customer Requirements from its End Customers? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Z How to Manage Customer?s Needs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marco Bernardi Finding a flat or not modeling distribution: how to manage it? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 24
A How to manage the QMS system and SOP during the transition from MDD to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
silentmonkey Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
L How to manage a Metrology Department or Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Who shall manage PPAP process? APQP and PPAP 4
B How do you manage your project? Data Conversion and Digitization Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
Q Is ISO 9001 fully enough to manage a business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
D Any Elsmar members using Traqpath to manage CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J IMDS: How to manage same Raw Material from Two Suppliers? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
Q Efficient way to manage different country Medical Device Regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
L How do you manage your Inspection Drawings? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Q Conflict Management - Systemic way to manage conflicts within Teams Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
S How to track and manage all uncertainty budgets - Database? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
J Anyone here use Paradigm Sofware to manage compliance with ISO standards Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
J How can I manage Occurence Rates in FMEA efficiently when I have many processes? FMEA and Control Plans 9
T Best place in QMS to manage Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L How to manage prolongation of Calibration Period on Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
drgnrider Definition of "Manage" as used in ISO 14001 related Documents ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
G How to manage/control critical items and key characteristics? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B The best way to manage changes to the documentation of PCB files & BOM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Looking for software to manage ISO 9001:2008 system Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
D Ticketing System to Manage Five Service Lines for proposed QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Records Control - How do you Manage tons of Paper Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
F How to manage Intermediary Sales Agents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q What are the Product Realisation processes that manage Finances? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Suggestions for a practical way to manage Contract Review Contract Review Process 5
G How to manage a problem Overseas Tooling Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
T How to manage Suppliers in accordance with ISO 13485 Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
T Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of improv? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M How to Manage Employees (Operators) - Training for specific Jobs Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
V How do you manage the Review Comments post to Approval of a Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C I asked myself a question 'What does a Management System Manage?' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Sidney Vianna OASIS Modification To Manage Auditor Type (AEA/AA) For Each Authentication AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W How to manage drugs during a manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Software that will manage my APQP documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
S How to better manage files on a personal computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
P How to manage loose Pin Gages without Identification on the machining floor Calibration Frequency (Interval) 19
Marc What software (if any) do you use to manage your quality system? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 57
Chennaiite How to manage Variation among Auditors? General Auditing Discussions 8
A Competency Records Management - How do you manage your training/competency records? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
K How to Manage / Drive your Internal Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
J Software or template to manage first piece, in process and final inspection reports Software Quality Assurance 2
S How to manage (control) a copy of ISO 9001:2008 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
E Quality Software - Who uses software to manage your Quality System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2