SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

How do you phrase your internal audit questions?

We have audit checklists that have pretty specific questions to make sure we're hitting every required point of the QMS, which I suppose is standard practice.
What I understand is that this checklist should be used more as a guide to your internal audits and that asking an auditee a broad question can answer multiple points.
For example, "Can you explain your process from start to finish" can usually get me answers for "Is there an established process?" "Are reviews performed at suitable stages?" "How is XYZ verified?" etc. Then I would ask more questions if I feel like I need more details (who, what when where, why or "can I get a copy of this?").

My partner, on the other hand, just reads off the checklist and to me it sounds very technical. Answers tend to overlap so sometimes it sounds repetitive, too. I suppose it's not technically wrong to do this, but I feel like it might come off a bit as an interrogation and the questions too closed-ended.

How do you ask your questions and how does your checklist look like?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
An internal audit should not be an inquisition, and (imo, of course) a checklist should be used only as a mnemonic device--to provide reminders of what needs to be done. There should never be a time when an internal auditor asks an auditee to explain an entire process. Auditors should be reasonably familiar with processes before auditing. The first stage should be to gather the relevant documentation and review it, then observe the process in operation. Sometimes audits may be completed without talking to anyone. Anyone who asks prepared questions from a checklist probably needs training.

An internal audit should not be an inquisition, and (imo, of course) a checklist should be used only as a mnemonic device--to provide reminders of what needs to be done. There should never be a time when an internal auditor asks an auditee to explain an entire process. Auditors should be reasonably familiar with processes before auditing. The first stage should be to gather the relevant documentation and review it, then observe the process in operation. Sometimes audits may be completed without talking to anyone. Anyone who asks prepared questions from a checklist probably needs training.
Thanks for your reply! I liked your phrasing.

We're both pretty new at this so all advice is welcome. We're still learning how the company itself runs.
Also, since I started a few months ago I've noticed some of the procedures/work instructions/forms are outdated, so asking people to walk me through what they're doing that day helps me see how accurate the documents are and address it with the managers. I figured once I see how things are done, future audits would be easier to perform.
Is this a good way to go about it, or should I try something else?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
There's nothing wrong with asking for help, especially if you're relatively new to the company. You should do everything you can to get people to understand that you're there to help, and not to give quizzes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Using the phrase "herein referred to" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Interpretation of phrase - "Direct Authority" EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
Le Chiffre Using the phrase "Approved by FDA" in Marketing and Advertising Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 19
ScottK How to phrase a DFARS compliance statement Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
Jim Wynne A Helpful Quality Phrase Translated into 40 Languages Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
D How to phrase transportation contract requirements for EMS? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
S Cost of Quality - Philip Crosby coined the phrase - Seeking More Information Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
C First Round of QMS Internal Audits - Ethical Dilemma Internal Auditing 7
T How to conduct combined internal audits (9001 and 13485) Internal Auditing 1
Q Easy CARs for Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Internal audit plan and processes for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
C API Q1 internal audit report Internal Auditing 3
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Must a company be 17025 accredited to perform internal calibrations? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
P Filled in F48/F49 for internal audit ISO 17025:2017 Internal Auditing 1
A ISO 9001 Internal Audits - No production right now due to furloughs Internal Auditing 5
J Internal audit random sampling methodology Internal Auditing 2
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 13
M IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span Internal Auditing 4
Thee Bouyyy Internal NCR - API Q1 5.4.2b - API 16C Clause 4.1.3 Internal Auditing 9
Q ISO 9001-2015 Internal audit finding Internal Auditing 12
lanley liao How to understand this words that the planning of internal audit shall take into consideration the results of previous audits? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
A Add MDSAP to Internal Audit Schedule Medical Device Related Regulations 0
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
M ISO13485:2016, MDSAP and Internal Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Would this be a second site for the purposes of internal and third party audits? General Auditing Discussions 4
V Internal Auditor Competency KPI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J ISMS - Internal Audits Internal Auditing 5
M ISO 13485:2016 internal audit checklist Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
S ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditing Internal Auditing 8
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Documented Information in Internal Audits Process (9.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
salaheddine96 Internal audit planning Internal Auditing 2
D CB and customer audits considered as internal audits? General Auditing Discussions 9
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
E MDR internal audit Internal Auditing 1
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
F Internal transfer of work from one line to another? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 11
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7