How do you prove you need resources?

L

lday38

I need help in the quality department. I have thought of logging my time and such, lisiting duties, etc.. None of which I have time for. I am not the only deparmtent that has been left too thin. We are trying to get QS-9000 registered and this company has been operating as a MOM and POP shop

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi Iday,

Not an unusual situation in the era of anorectic organisations… I think many of us recognize the feeling.

I may not be able to provide you with an answer as it would depend on your companys culture and size, but I can ask a few questions:

I have seen quite large companies where the quality dep. consisted of just one person. So… what I’m really asking is if you may be stuck with matters that could/should be handled by other parts of the organisation?

As for the QS-9000 registration: Getting it creates an extra work load, apart from the ordinary job. Is it possible for you to turn it into a project with a budget of its own?

/Claes

A

Al Dyer

Part of getting your own budget might entail details of your job and where you allocate resources.

I have found that keeping track of time is not all that time consuming. Design a spreadsheet of your choice (I don't know the details) and track how much time is spent on each individual activity. From there you can quantify where and when time is spent and where time is lacking.

Possibly

Excel spread sheet with duties and work along the left column with some type of score along the horizontal bar noting where and when your activities are pointed.

You might be surprised! I did this onece and found out I was spending 42 minutes a day getting and drinking coffee, and/or soft drinks.

With Mom and Pop shops we all wear multiple hats and the most beneficial thing to learn is time management.

:)

L

lday38

thank tou all for your responses. Yes, they do want to run this as a one Quality Manager department. This company about 40 employees is actually owned by a large corporation known for its thriftyness. It is true that I seemed to have other duties that should be another's department such as document control consisting ofd customer part pritns and pan tags. it's also true that soemtiems I get up and just walk around tryign to ease my frustration but more lost minutes.

Hi again,

I have tried to keep track of my time in the same way as Al did. Actually, I do it every now and then, and yes: It can be quite revealing, and even downright embarrassing at times. (The first time I did this I ended up doing a major “house cleaning”: Clearing the desk, tidying up the structure in the PC, and scrapping a lot of the stuff in the bookshelf. My log had showed me that I used far too much time looking for things… :eek: Errrr).

Please, don’t get me wrong, iday, I’m not saying that this is your problem. It’s just such a good and simple way to gain a bit of extra time. However, Al’s discovery about the coffee and your getting up and walking around a bit may not be such a waste of time after all. It can’t be all bad to leave your desk every now and then to let your head clear itself a bit. After all, we’re not machines, are we?

Finally, I’d like to share this link with you: http://www.mindtools.com/ . I keep coming back to that site. It is very good, sporting lots of well explained methods suitable for (probably ) every imaginable situation. Time management is just one of the topics.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Do we have to prove a link between the mill and our raw material supplier? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
P How to Scientifically Prove the Importance of a Process - CMMI Process Areas Software Quality Assurance 7
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C UDI Label Verification - How do we ensure the barcode is correct and prove it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S How to Statistically Prove 2 Dimensions are Related Using Minitab Software 18
U Sample size to prove parts are good with 99.73% confidence Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L What needs to be done to prove compliance with RoHS and WEEE EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Is MSA useful to prove a Measurement System after Relocation? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P How to prove that Cr oxide makes a stent biocompatible (e-polished 316LVM) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
P Testing a US device in Europe to prove Equivalence in a ?head-to-head? Study EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Reliability Prove-out, Pass-Fail Testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
K What would you give up to prove conformity and honesty? Internal Auditing 21
S ISO 17025 requirements not enough to prove NIST Traceability? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
I Prove or disprove that a cube can be cut in 27 smaller cubes in less than 6 cuts Brain Teasers and Puzzles 14
M How do I prove I don't receive a controlled product? Ractopamine Hydrochloride Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Clinical Data to Prove Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
U Can anyone prove that: 2x2=5 ? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 63
D Testing an Inspector to Prove Competency in Visual Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
S Lean System Developer - How should I work to prove myself? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
D How to Prove and Explain to Consultant (Internal Auditor) and Manager? Internal Auditing 7
M Planning requirement 5.4: How should the management prove compliance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J How to prove that we conform to legal requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
L Is there any way to prove a process is in control other than with a control chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
H How do we prove that we are improving the continual improvement process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
J Finished Goods Testing - Using historical test data to prove finished goods OK Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Contract Review - How do you prove it? Contract Review Process 16
K Statistical Hypothesis Testing to prove signficant quality improvement or decline Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
G Need resources / tutorials about OPS (Operation) for ISO IT (Information Technology) Service Management 8
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Do we need to QA cert? We only plan to supply reagents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0