How do you put confidence bounds around bimodal data?

debun

Starting to get Involved
Summary
I am receiving product from a supplier that falls outside of our tolerance spec. The inspection shows a real bimodal distribution and from the sample I would like to put a 95% confidence bounds around it. The data is not normal, what method should I use to create confidence bounds?

Boring details yet important.
The feature they are struggling with is a drilled hole. The tolerance is 10.1-10.35mm (for those that like inches over 0.012”) They are drilling between 10.1-11.1 WTF right? There challenge is the material is very abrasive and drills to not last long so are replaced often. The span on part is large and I suspect chattering so in these areas the holes are lager hence the bimodal distribution. When the drill bit is replaced you get a repeat of this pattern and it never becomes normal.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
are you looking for:
  • confidence intervals around the mean?
  • 'confidence intervals' around the individual values?
  • confidence intervals around the defect rate?

debun

Starting to get Involved
I am looking for confidence around the mean, so that I can see the range of values we would expect.

In response to mdurivage this is a bimodal, not binomial distribution. I have two distinct peaks in the data.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Can you post some sample data to look at?

Has anyone pondered doing a two step drill/ream or hone? You may be able to get better control than just drilling. Drilling is not precision machining, and its capability is very limited - even with easy to drill materials.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
just for clarity: your statement can be interpreted as wanting confidence intervals for spread or range of the individual values around the mean. Is this what you want? (I hate to ask again, sorry) If this is what you want there is no straight forward way to calculate these intervals. There are few ways that will be useful for you, but as Bob requested it is best if you post your data so we can look at what may be the best answer for you.

If you are looking for confidence intervals of the mean (the amount of 'accuracy' or precision of the estiamte of the mean) then the distribution of the individuals doesn't have to be Normal. The confidence intervals are not based on any assumption of Normality in the distribution of the individual values.

debun

Starting to get Involved
Please see the attached data. Each part has 18 holes, each row is a part. Some parts don't have all 18 holes measured. Holes were measured by pin gauges. Below is a histogram of the data where you can see the bimodal distribution. This bimodal distribution even exists in the individual parts. If it were normally distributed you could use a student t an put a confidence interval around the data, but this data is not normal. I was thinking you could treat this as two separate distributions and use the tails to get the full range, but what would happen if there was an intersection of the data and not 2 distinct groups.

Attachments

D

Dave Mac

If I understand you correctly the small holes are in area "A" of the part, and the large holes are in area "B" of the part (area B is where there is a long standout on the tool, thereby causing chatter, so the hole is getting enlarged)

If this is the case (or something similar) - i.e. you have a rock-solid system to split between the small and the large holes, then you could consider this as 2 normal distributions, and do the standard analysis for each distribution. - If you do not have solid reasoning to split the data ie the data is too muddy - you cannot do this.

It might be interesting to take the part drawing and mark up each individual hole on the drawing with it's mean size/min size & max size and send this back to your supplier so he can review his m/cing process.

Also the Confidence Interval on the mean will tell you with 95% confidence that the mean lies between 2 values. I'm not sure that this is what you are looking for.
If you are looking for the range of values that you would expect to see from the process this is something different, I think it is called a tolerance interval -
Link here to a calculator here (You'll have to remove the spaces from the link) - http: // statpages.org / tolintvl. html - Note: I cannot vouch for this calculator.
Cheers

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
If I understand you correctly the small holes are in area "A" of the part, and the large holes are in area "B" of the part (area B is where there is a long standout on the tool, thereby causing chatter, so the hole is getting enlarged)

If this is the case (or something similar) - i.e. you have a rock-solid system to split between the small and the large holes, then you could consider this as 2 normal distributions, and do the standard analysis for each distribution.
I would agree - and if so, I would treat them as two separate issues, and look to control each individually.

As an evaluation of the probability of what you would see as an overall effect, you could do this analysis:
I was thinking you could treat this as two separate distributions and use the tails to get the full range.
But, by blending the issues, it would not provide an answer on how to better control the issue - just a gross view of the impact.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Options at this point:

Can you split apart the bimodal into the two underlying distributions? Even modeling by estimating two normal distributions, and a random split between the two (maybe 50-50, maybe not).

There is alway "non-parametric" analysis, up to and including the Tchebychev inequality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Z Do we still have to put UDI if we have DI and lot number seperately on our product ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D QMS Documentation Process - I want to put all the Process SOPs to a QMS system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
D When Quoting an ISO Standard should I put the quote in italics? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
somashekar How to put in place a Risk Assessment of Vulnerabilities & Corruption... Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A Two Identical Medical Devices put in different Classes - Class I and Class II 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L RAPS RAC EU Certificate: is anyone going to put hands on? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Crusader Certificate of Compliance - Put a form number on it or not? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D Multiple Discrepancies put on one SCAR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
I ISO 9001:2008 4.2 Documentation - Where to put a Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
D What Information to put on an Internal Chemical List Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
AnaMariaVR2 Why modern maps put everyone at the centre of the world Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S What Spill Containment to Put at Dock Door Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
T What should I put on my Quality Notice Board? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T What should I put on my Environmental Notice Board? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
I What do you have to put in place for Sterile Procedure Packs? MDD Article 12 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
M MSA - According to the formula cg how much tolerance should be put in place? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
M Trying to take current documentation and put it into ISO forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Equipment Lifetime: Put in operation manual or a individual document/declaration Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M AS9101 Appendix D question - What to put in Box 8 ?Process Name? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
B Do we need to put the box around the SN symbol listed in EN 980? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Wes Bucey Put some zip in your resume or cover letter Career and Occupation Discussions 1
V Is it OK to put 2 Part Numbers on 1 PSW (Part Submission Warrant)? APQP and PPAP 12
B Urine Reagent Strips - Which directive should I put on the declaration? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Can we put two Manufacturer's address in IFU (Instructions For Use)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
E Where to put QMS Definitions, e.g. forms, policies, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Suggestions on what to put on an Employee ISO 9001 Intranet page ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Marc The Future - G.E.?s Breakthrough Can Put 100 DVDs on a Disc After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J Suppliers for labels to put on medical device cables Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
K Where to put Product and Process Characteristics on the Control Plan. FMEA and Control Plans 1
K Where to put product and process characteristic in PFMEA (AIAG Manual 4th edition)? FMEA and Control Plans 6
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
bobdoering Isuzu, Toyota Put Clean Diesel Engine Project On Hold. World News 1
J Metrics to be put in place in our Test department - First Pass Yield and Paretos Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
R Continental put the boot in.... Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
N Yields & Through Put Rates - Food processing industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Should I put Warehouse under Manufacturing Department? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
T How to put some teeth into a Non-Conformance Program Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
B Is there a need to put symbols into every steps of the Process flow diagram In HACCP? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
Marc Robert Heinlein Archives Scanned and Put Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2