How do you structure your QA (QMS) Manual? A Historical Discussion

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C
DuDu,

The easiest way I have found (I have done this 4 times) is to copy sections 1 through 8.5 of the standard, VERBATIM, then use the edit/replace function to replace all references to "the organization" with your company name. You will not be able to cut and paste from the electronic version of the standard, so someone will need to manually type the manual. After you are done this go through each section and wordsmith to fit your organization. Be careful when deleting anything. This makes it virtually impossible for a registrar to give a nonconformance for the manual not fitting the standard. Let's face it, the only reason you are writing the manual in the first place is to pass your audit and possibly send to a customer. It serves no real purpose, so make it easy on yourself. The last manual I wrote took a total of 4 hours for someone to type and about another 4 of my editing.

Good luck,

Carl-

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
-> copy sections 1 through 8.5 of the standard, VERBATIM,

For most companies this is fine. Many smaller companies bring their 'main' procedures into the manual its self (such as the 'required' 6). But the theory is correct. Don't over do your quality manual into a 2 month project.

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is it really that simple to make a manual like this? If that's all it takes I think I will write a new one for 9K2K. Then use a matrix to our present procedures etc.? And fill in the gaps? Am I just making it too hard?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I'll betcha that's been said here in at least 50 different threads from time to time.

Yes - it's that simple. ISO9K gives - what - 3 things you have to have. As far as your procedures, it says "...or reference to..."

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I guess they could get nasty, but since there are probably thousands of companies which have written their manuals this way, I doubt the ISO folks would take a chance at pissing off a whole lot of companies by bringing an action against one. I'll tell you what, there would be an interesting (to say the least) debate if they (the ISO folks) actually did take a company to court over copyright violations in the company's quality manual.

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
Just want to thank Carl and Marc for the ideas on making the QM for 9K2K. You were right on the money, took me about 4 hours to complete it. Already had it typed into Word, so that made it easy to copy and paste until I was satisfied with it. I think it will fly!

Russ...with his eyes wide open

A

Al Dyer

Russ,

Good for you!

Just make sure that it doesn't "just fly", but that it is a functional document that has buy-in from all involved.

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rvin59 OHSAS 18001 - QMS - EMS Combined Manual Structure help Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
P Japan MHLW Ordinance No 94. (QMS structure Regulation) Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
D Divisions delay QMS Certification due to un-modified Organization Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
O QMS (Quality Management Systems) Team Structure & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
U IT Process is Taken From company and Added to Corporate Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDR Technical File Structure Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
E Department Plan for QA and HSE (profile, plans, structure, goals, etc.) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
R How to create a Work Breakdown Structure? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
F Business expanding - Campus vs Multi Site Certification Structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Technical file structure/content requirements for Class IIa devices & new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E High level structure - Planning and operation control Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
S Has anyone created a Turtle Diagram reflecting the new ISO 9001:2015 Structure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M ISO 13485 and the High Level Structure (HLS) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
P Is the next revision of ISO 15378 following the High Level Structure? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
M Kinds of plastic for molded parts in a main frame as structure Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Organizational Chart - Organizational Structure example wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
P Do I need to Register with FDA? How shall my structure of processes look like? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
F Quality Manager - Conflict of interests in organisational structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S How to Add Water to a MDS Tree Structure RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J Setup/structure of IDE in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R ISO 14001 - EH&S Reporting Structure & Products and Process ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
T Quality Department Structure in a Small Medical Device Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
E Is GHTF Classification Structure similar to EU MDD Calssification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M ISO 9001 Work Instruction Structure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Please help to change the numbering in level 3 of structure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Information and Structure for Technical Documentation for Firmware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Internal Audit Structure and Focus Internal Auditing 7
Marc ISO 9001:2015 Structure - Top Level Clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
insect warfare How is the Management Review structure of your company set up? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 5
J How to structure a DHF when all manufacturing is done by Contract Maufacturers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
JodiB Structure and Content of Job Descriptions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Organisation Structure and Responsibilities - Clarification Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
G Structure and Method behind the Planning of 8.2.2 Internal Audit Internal Auditing 6
B Controlled document training requirements and structure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Company Structure for OHSAS Certification - Holding Company with Subsidaries Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
Q Minimum Organization Structure to support TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D New Structure for ISO-14001 and other Management System Standards ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
R Registering Medical Device in Brazil ANVISA - Fee Structure Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
AmandaMusser Documentation Confusion - Agile BOM Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J QA Organizational Reporting Structure for a sample Food Operation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
V Corporate Quality Management System - Structure, Pros and Cons? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Please critique my Organization Structure Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Interviews? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 7