How does a Business use the 4 pillars of Quality Management

T

terryNg

I just wondering how does a business use the 4 pillars of quality management which is quality control, quality assurance, quality improvment and quality planning ?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: 4 pillars of Quality management

Welcome to The Cove, terryNg! :bigwave:

That is a big question. Let me see if I can give you an answer in less than 20 minutes, heh.

Quality planning is a business planning its activities so as not to make mistakes. Plan.

Quality assurance is the set of activities that make up the planning; Wikipedia says "All those planned or systematic actions necessary to provide enough confidence that a product or service will satisfy the given requirements for quality." Do.

Quality Control is a business looking at its process outputs to make sure they are good. Testing, inspections, and checks are developed so a business can know if what it's doing is accurate. Check.

Quality improvement is looking at the results of all these things working together and putting in place changes that will help the business make fewer errors than before. Act.

Thus these four pillars--Plan, Do, Check and Act are repeated in cycles, with the intended benefit of fewer problems each time.

I hope this helps!

T

terryNg

thanks jeniffer..ur answer do help me a lot. Beside that do u have any idea how's the ISO 9001 address customer satisfaction in general ?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

At a minimum, customer satisfaction is called out in 5.2, which says Top management shall ensure that customer requirements are determined and are met with the aim of enhancing customer satisfaction

5.6.2 calls out a requirement for customer feedback. What sort of feedback you use is your choice, so long as it is effective.

5.6.3, 6.1, 7.2.1 and 7.2.2 require the business to know what its customers require.

7.2.3 involves communications with customers, and 7.5.4 deals with safeguarding any customer's property used in your business's processes.

8.2.1 and 8.4 talk about monitoring and analyzing customer satisfaction. 8.5.2 deals with handling customer complaints.

8.3 deals with nonconforming material, including the customer's role in its release (if any).

In short, ISO gives some requirements for understanding what the customer wants, designing the processes to make sure it happens, knowing if you've done it well, dealing with the results, asking for and responding to feedback, and controlling the product and anything they've lent you (such as special inspection equipment) to do all this.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

I hope Terry lets Jennifer know how well she scored on the test.:mg:

B

bchang

How do the 8 principles of Quality assist in ISO-9001? In what way are they addressed in ISO 9001?

The 8 principles will be:

1. All business processes have an outward customer focus wanting to understand and deliver their customer’s current and future needs.

2. Leadership at all levels toward achieving the organisations objectives – role model; shared values; shared vision.

3. Fully involve people in accomplishing the organisation’s aims.

4. Use well defined processes to meet the needs of interested parties by applying resources to perform activities that produce the required outputs.

5. Systematise to coordinate and manage interrelationships and interactions amongst the processes to maximise efficiency and effectiveness.

6. Adopt continual improvement as a regularly repeating requirement in order to seek improved performance, new targets, reduced variation, and new products.

7. Make decisions based on facts using analysed data collected by method and equipment whose integrity can be relied upon.

8. Establish mutually beneficial supplier relationships that reflect the interdependence of suppliers and supply chains to the organisation.

Thanks for the answering.

Randy

Super Moderator
May we ask why this is necessary for a student? Your post as well as others from Perth look a bit suspicious and we really wouldn't be guilty of doing your assignments for you.

B

bchang

Oh, it has nothing to do with assignment. It is just part of the lecture notes that we do not really understand. We need some idea on which clause of the ISO9001 to look for, regarding those 8 principles [as future reading before the class].

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Oh, it has nothing to do with assignment.
I feel much better now....
naughty.gif

Randy

Super Moderator
You'll find pieces and parts of those 8 Principles addressed throughout ISO 9001.

There is no "Classics Illustrated" version. The entire document is about achieving customer satisfaction and the things necessary to do so within a QMS.

Top Bottom