How does AS 9100D correlate or differ from NADCAP accreditation?

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
From my understanding, the AS 9100D is a prerequisite for NADCAP, and it serves as a more "high level" certification whereas NADCAP AC7110 accreditation serves as a more "low level" accreditation of processes within the company.

Are there any resources that show the link between these two, or if anyone can highlight where these two need to correlate/overlap? My focus will be on the NADCAP AC7110/14

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
From my understanding, the AS 9100D is a prerequisite for NADCAP, and it serves as a more "high level" certification whereas NADCAP AC7110 accreditation serves as a more "low level" accreditation of processes within the company.
AS9100 certification is NOT a pre-requisite for Nadcap accreditation. From Accreditation

The Aerospace Quality Systems Task Group recognizes the industry developed Aerospace Quality Systems standard 9100 and 9110. In, addition, Nadcap recognizes ISO/IEC 17025 for testing laboratories, including nondestructive testing laboratories. The ISO/IEC 17025 scope of accreditation must cover the Nadcap scope of accreditation and be from an approved NACLA / ILAC accreditation body.

Suppliers who have an 9100 or 9110 registration / certification from an IAQG approved Registration / Certification body, as listed on the IAQG Oasis website do not require an additional quality systems audit through Nadcap. (See PD 1100)

At the time of the audit, when a supplier does not hold a current approved quality system in accordance with PD 1100, an assessment to the Nadcap AC7004 is required.

So, the organization seeking accreditation for their welding/brazing processes in accordance with AC7110, needs to have a quality system in place, either via an ICOP recognized AS9100/9110 certificate or, via a Nadcap audit against AC7004.

Good luck.

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the info, so basically the company will need an approved quality system first and then for a NADCAP auditor to accredit them via AC7110/14.

Reading over AC7100/14 audit criteria I notice many requirements that match the various quality systems standard requirements. Is there no document that shows the correlation between these two?

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Which NADCAP certification are you looking to pursue? Some of the NADCAP stuff is incredibly specific, not like a generic QMS at all.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Sorry I skimmed that too quickly while doing a couple things here. My experience with NADCAP is limited to the special/outside process side of things. I've yet to run across one that required a QMS, but I also never needed to dig in that far so it might very well. But you can contact them and they'll get you great info.

When I was setting up a zinc phosphate line I shot an email asking about NADCAP requirements (I wasn't even doing NADCAP phos yet) and they got me the web portal for all phosphate process that allowed me to find the actual audit checklist for zinc phosphate. So I bet you could ask them for info on QMS requirements and they'd let you know.

Big Jim

Admin
As I understand it to become NADCAP Accredited you need to be certified to AS9100 or AS9110 and if not you need to be assessed to NADCAP AC7004. AC7004 is somewhere between ISO 9001 and AS9100. Basically some of the aerospace enhancements have been stripped out. AC7004 audits are administered by PRI who also administers NADCAP audits. From what some of my NADCAP clients have told me the NADCAP auditors add a day to their NADCAP audit to audit AC7004.

I have never looked through the AC7004 Standard, but I'm told it is similar to AS9003, which is also a very abbreviated version of AS9100. AS9003 is interesting of itself in that you can get registered to it but you will likely have a hard time finding a registrar that will actually do it. Boeing used to use it to evaluate suppliers they really needed that were not AS9100 registered. Evidently they still do but it is much rarer than in the past.

My personal comment is if you really care about your quality management system, go for AS9100 and not AC7004.

Top Bottom