Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

How does each element of OHSAS contribute to management of work place safety & health

S

sajeesh salim

How does each element of OHSAS contribute to a systematic management of work place safety and health?

Last edited by a moderator:

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: How does each element of OHSAS contribute to management of work place safety & he

Because it requires management to think it about it requires, identify what they do to comply with it, or need to do to meet it. It requires them to determine what documentation is or may be required for it and what records are or need to be generated and where those records are maintained.

This also applies to any standard you care to name.

OHSAS is a safety management system. Management systems are tools management uses to achieve business objectives.

Colin

Re: How does each element of OHSAS contribute to management of work place safety & he

By OHSAS I assume you refer to OHSAS 18001? Either way, this is a very broad question, almost the type you would be asked to complete as part of a training course or an assignment.

Why don't you narrow it down into more specific questions and you are more likely to get more specific responses? e.g. how does having a H&S Policy contribute ....?

S

sajeesh salim

Actually the question is contribution of 5 elements

1.Policy
2.Planning
3.Implementation
4.Checking and corrective action
5.Management review

If i have to answer this,I would write more than two pages about it.Because its a broad area.All elements Other than policy and management review contains a number of sub elemnts.So i am confused, how i would make it simple and precise?

For example, implementation contains.

1. structure, responsibility and authority
2.in house rules
3.training
4.consultation
5.documentation
6.control document and the rest.

How should i explain that contribution of each sub elements to a systematic workplace health and safety without going very details about each items?

Colin

Thanks for the clarification. You are right, it would take a lot of effort to explain in detail - or you could just send a copy of OHSAS 18002!

Seriously, you could give a very brief summary of each e.g. Responsibilities & Authority - if everyone knows who is responsible for which activities it makes it easier to avoid gaps and overlaps and to ensure that everyone knows who does what to ensure a safe and healthy work environment in order to prevent injury and ill health.

kgott

Actually the question is contribution of 5 elements

How should I explain that contribution of each sub elements to a systematic workplace health and safety without going very details about each items?
All the elements play a role in creating a tool that management uses to manage safety. eg

Document Contorl ensures that business documents are effectively controlled, and all information is up-to-date and is at all points where its used or accessed.

Why are they citing 18001 and not 4801??

Hello !

Sajeesh SalimHow, I am affraid nobody understand really what you need. I myself don't understand you want write how each element of this british management system contribute to management of occupationnal health ad safety... Why does you want write this ? For who want you write this ? Who are you ? What is you job ? In which position ? etc... What is tour real situation and need asking this in this forum ?

But I can perhaps make this comment: a management system is a "system". This means that it is a set of interrelated and interacting elements, which are jointly referred to a common purpose. In a sense, contrary to your question, we could say that no single element contributes alone and directly to the common purpose (here OSH). But all the elements of the system fcontribute and ulfill together the desired purpose.

Bye.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

It is about a systamatic and planned approach to OHS management.
If follows the PDCA (Plan Do Check Act)
Implementation is the Do part.
If your plan is good, you will do good.
You Check what you Do against your Plan in the Checking and Corrective action
Decisions and actions based on Check are coming from Act (The Management review)
In this process you continually improve by PLANNING DOING CHECKING AND ACTING with the intention to excel in the OH and S.
The subelements in each are the finer aspects you focus your attention and perform to the requirement of your organization

Top Bottom