How does one get into the Quality Control (Quality Management) field?

S

SirLancelot

Hello, This is my first post here.

I am currently a University student about to graduate with a business degree...however, I have had a course in quality control, and several courses in statistics and programming (python), and am strong in math. I have an excellent GPA.

I would really like to work in quality management. I find it fascinating.
But it seems many job openings only require a high-school diploma.

Now, I'm fine with that, but I don't want to sell myself short either. I don't really have any work experience at all, so I'm willing to work from the ground up.

However, I'm wondering if there are no other opportunities, which focus more on the statistical/analysis side of things, yet are still entry level, and don't necessarily need an engineering background.

Perhaps I ask for too much.

I would love it if anyone could elaborate on the opportunities. Thank you very much.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

Re: How does one get into the quality control field?

From my personal experience:
1. Get an entry-level job in an industry that fascinates you
2. Care more about the quality of the products (or services) than your co-workers
3. Openly criticize management for their uneven attention to quantity over quality (this is especially effective when done at a company-wide meeting to introduce the new Quality Manager)
4. Welcome yourself to QA when they ask you to join that department

(Results may vary.)

P

PaulJSmith

...and, welcome to The Cove, SirLancelot!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

Key are statistics and math, not to mention good problem solving ability.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Welcome to the Cove SirLancelot!

These days there is more QA work for mid-manager level people than past days when QA people were within a division and did their Jedi work behind closed doors.

I can advise taking Six Sigma courses if you can get a hold of them. The practice is rather controversial, but the DMAIC and Design of Experiments subjects are good for anyone interested in quality as I define it: doing things well.

I also suggest looking for an Alliance for Excellence chapter near you. You might enjoy the volunteer work as Examiner; I use mine as a resume bullet and the experience was very positive.

Within these outlets you will get more exposure of a sort that could help you gain entry to quality management, even though you might only start as an Improvement Associate based on your having no industry experience yet.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
T

True Position

Hello, This is my first post here.

I am currently a University student about to graduate with a business degree...however, I have had a course in quality control, and several courses in statistics and programming (python), and am strong in math. I have an excellent GPA.

I would really like to work in quality management. I find it fascinating.
But it seems many job openings only require a high-school diploma.

Now, I'm fine with that, but I don't want to sell myself short either. I don't really have any work experience at all, so I'm willing to work from the ground up.

However, I'm wondering if there are no other opportunities, which focus more on the statistical/analysis side of things, yet are still entry level, and don't necessarily need an engineering background. <snip>
Your best bet is to play up the statistics and try and get an entry level quality engineering job. If you interned at a large corporation try and work any contacts you have.

The earlier advice to pick an industry is also a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SirLancelot

Re: How does one get into the Quality Control field?

I should have been more clear :bonk:. I think what I'm more familiar with is QA. I've learned about Statistical Process Control, and designing statistical tests. The course I took was more or less Quality Management:

Quality Management - Wikipedia

I'm also familiar with the philosophical side of quality, i.e. I've written academic papers on Juran, Deming, etc. Very academic, but useful nonetheless. I have also read several books incorporating economics, competitive advantage, and business strategy with quality.
I hope that makes it more clear.

Thanks again for all your responses so far! :thanks:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The bottom line is experience is preferred for a higher position in a company. As the others have been saying experience is important, but if you're willing to settle on a near entry level position you will get experience and "move up" as time goes on.

I have rarely seen a person just out of school with a BA do very well other than essentially entry level. You might want to consider going for your masters if you want to do an entry level in mid-management.

S

Shoes

Welcom to the Cove,

Have you considered Software Quality Assurance? Computers are a permanent part of our personal and professional lives.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Who does a QC (Quality Control) Auditor report to? General Auditing Discussions 11
T Does your Quality Dept Control Procedures Outside the Scope of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Does a Quality Manual need to be issued a Control Number Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 29
B Who does QC (Quality Control) report to? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
B Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
J President does not know what the Quality Policy means ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q What is a Quality Charter and how does it differ from a Quality Plan? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C Where does Quality Authority come from? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
J What does "effective implementation of quality management system" mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Does a process map satisfy 21 CFR 820.20(d) (Quality Plan)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Does someone has experience with a Supplier "Quality Watch" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
P Why does a SQA (Software Quality Assurance) standard be implemented in our company Software Quality Assurance 4
D Does the Quality Policy have to be controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M How Does Your Organization Measure Cost of Quality? Benchmarking 14
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K So confused with AQL - How does AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) fit with my company AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
S Does the Company Quality Policy have to be posted in the Facility? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
P Does the Quality Manager have to be a Senior Manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Does the KFDA need our distributor to have a copy of our Quality System ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M What is a Quality Engineer? What does a Quality Engineer do? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J Quality Organization - Does it matter where it reports to? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
Q Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Explaining what a Quality Administrator does and Ballooning Prints Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
Ajit Basrur Does anyone have a 30-60-90 day quality improvement plan? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Does overdue preventive maintenance require an evaluation on product quality? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Y Definition Does "quality planning" include "establishment of quality objectives"? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
M The Quality "Policy" - How does it differ from other company policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
A What is ISO 9001 Certification and how does it relate to Product Quality? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S ISO 17025 Quality Manual - How elaborate does the quality manual have to be? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
T R Chart use - What does "general quality level" mean? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E Quality System Software with TS 16949, Does it good? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Why does production see quality negatively? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 34
eternal_atlas NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - Does it add value to an audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
M The Customer does not Audit to their own Supplier Quality Manual General Auditing Discussions 16
T Organizational Charts - Where does the Quality Assurance Manager fit in Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
N Quality Program Plan - How much detail does the customer want? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
J Delivery statement in quality policy - Does it warrant an NC? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Does the Quality Manual Need to be Distributed to All Employees? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 20
T How does a Business use the 4 pillars of Quality Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
N Which SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle) phase does Quality Assurance Participate Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
quality1 Hired to Improve Quality but Company does not care about Quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 58
H Does The Company We Rent Space To Fall Under Our Quality System? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Does Quality Engineering have a role in QFD (Quality Function Deployment)? APQP and PPAP 1
M How many Quality Manuals does your company have? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
C Does auditing improve a Quality or Business System? Internal Auditing 7
J Does your Quality Assurance Department have its own Independent Budget? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 19
Wes Bucey Where does your hospital rank on quality? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 20
Q How many sentences does your Quality Policy statement contain? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 119