Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

How does one get into the Quality Control (Quality Management) field?

S

SirLancelot

Hello, This is my first post here.

I am currently a University student about to graduate with a business degree...however, I have had a course in quality control, and several courses in statistics and programming (python), and am strong in math. I have an excellent GPA.

I would really like to work in quality management. I find it fascinating.
But it seems many job openings only require a high-school diploma.

Now, I'm fine with that, but I don't want to sell myself short either. I don't really have any work experience at all, so I'm willing to work from the ground up.

However, I'm wondering if there are no other opportunities, which focus more on the statistical/analysis side of things, yet are still entry level, and don't necessarily need an engineering background.

Perhaps I ask for too much.

I would love it if anyone could elaborate on the opportunities. Thank you very much.

P

PaulJSmith

Re: How does one get into the quality control field?

From my personal experience:
1. Get an entry-level job in an industry that fascinates you
2. Care more about the quality of the products (or services) than your co-workers
3. Openly criticize management for their uneven attention to quantity over quality (this is especially effective when done at a company-wide meeting to introduce the new Quality Manager)
4. Welcome yourself to QA when they ask you to join that department

(Results may vary.)

P

PaulJSmith

...and, welcome to The Cove, SirLancelot!

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin

Key are statistics and math, not to mention good problem solving ability.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Welcome to the Cove SirLancelot!

These days there is more QA work for mid-manager level people than past days when QA people were within a division and did their Jedi work behind closed doors.

I can advise taking Six Sigma courses if you can get a hold of them. The practice is rather controversial, but the DMAIC and Design of Experiments subjects are good for anyone interested in quality as I define it: doing things well.

I also suggest looking for an Alliance for Excellence chapter near you. You might enjoy the volunteer work as Examiner; I use mine as a resume bullet and the experience was very positive.

Within these outlets you will get more exposure of a sort that could help you gain entry to quality management, even though you might only start as an Improvement Associate based on your having no industry experience yet.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
T

True Position

Hello, This is my first post here.

I am currently a University student about to graduate with a business degree...however, I have had a course in quality control, and several courses in statistics and programming (python), and am strong in math. I have an excellent GPA.

I would really like to work in quality management. I find it fascinating.
But it seems many job openings only require a high-school diploma.

Now, I'm fine with that, but I don't want to sell myself short either. I don't really have any work experience at all, so I'm willing to work from the ground up.

However, I'm wondering if there are no other opportunities, which focus more on the statistical/analysis side of things, yet are still entry level, and don't necessarily need an engineering background. <snip>
Your best bet is to play up the statistics and try and get an entry level quality engineering job. If you interned at a large corporation try and work any contacts you have.

The earlier advice to pick an industry is also a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SirLancelot

Re: How does one get into the Quality Control field?

I should have been more clear :bonk:. I think what I'm more familiar with is QA. I've learned about Statistical Process Control, and designing statistical tests. The course I took was more or less Quality Management:

Quality Management - Wikipedia

I'm also familiar with the philosophical side of quality, i.e. I've written academic papers on Juran, Deming, etc. Very academic, but useful nonetheless. I have also read several books incorporating economics, competitive advantage, and business strategy with quality.
I hope that makes it more clear.

Thanks again for all your responses so far! :thanks:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
The bottom line is experience is preferred for a higher position in a company. As the others have been saying experience is important, but if you're willing to settle on a near entry level position you will get experience and "move up" as time goes on.

I have rarely seen a person just out of school with a BA do very well other than essentially entry level. You might want to consider going for your masters if you want to do an entry level in mid-management.

S

Shoes

Welcom to the Cove,

Have you considered Software Quality Assurance? Computers are a permanent part of our personal and professional lives.

Top Bottom