How does your registrar handle 2 certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I want two certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001. Each with slightly different scopes to differentiate the requirements for my non aerospace customers The registrar wants to charge me double. Does anybody have a similar situation? How does you registrar handle this?

AndyN

Moved On
Re: How does you registrar handle two certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO900

I want two certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001. Each with slightly different scopes to differentiate the requirements for my non aerospace customers The registrar wants to charge me double. Does anybody have a similar situation? How does you registrar handle this?

We wouldn't charge you double! We don't have 'extra' fees like that.

J

Jason PCSwitches

Re: How does you registrar handle two certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO900

Agree with Andy...don't fall victim to this, it's unnecessary and a rip-off. Virtually the same thing. If they persist, then you should be persistent!!

S

Sorin

If the scopes are different does that mean they are auditing you two times?

Other than that, I see no reason for paying a double fee.

D

DrM2u

I suggest that you shop this around a little, including your current registrar. You will be surprised of the price difference from registrar to registrar. One thing to be aware of: make sure you compare apples to apples. Each registrar will quote the same services in their own way so ask them to quote based on your criteria and break-down. If a price is too good to be true then either it is just that or the registrar did not understand your criteria. You can realize additional servigs (travel costs) by asking for an auditor qualified to audit both standards and ensuring that both are audited at the same time. Many of the management and support functions are common to both standards and scopes, so the audit time should also be reduced as opposed to having two separate audits. Good luck!

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

We have 3 certificates - ISO9001, Pressure Equipment Directive Module D, and Transport Pressure Equipment Directive Module D.

We have the same registrart/Notified Body for all three.

They audit for all three in one shot since there is so much overlap.

As far as I can tell from their strange billing system there is no extra aside from a fairly small processing fee.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Andy, my registrar told me that. The difference in the scope was minor. I wanted my AS 9100 Scope to distinguish the Aerospace and Defense work for the same type of product. BTW, when I originally started on this project to get AS registration, I inquired and was told that I could have two certs. I would expect that I would have to pay a nominal fee , but not double. I'm not happy about this turn of events. I'm in the midst of a stage 2 audit this week and spoke to the QA Manager at the Registrar today about this. He's the one who told me it was double.

Last edited:
J

Joy

Re: How does your registrar handle 2 certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001

I understand that you are being exploited by your CB as you are not in a position to change them at this moment.You could have decided and get an offer on this issue before selecting this CB.Now,you cannot go back and do that.So try to find out a solution.

As you mentioned that in your AS9100 certificate you want a mention of aerospace,is it something like this?

Machining of metal components for aerospace and defense application-AS9100
Machining of metal components-ISO 9001:2008

If this is the situation,an ethical CB should not charge double for two certificates,may charge few USDs for paper and printing.

Just ask the CB whether they would charge double if the scope is like this in both certificates?
Machining of metal components for aerospace,automotive,general engineering,ship building and defense application
.You can have a hint from this and change your certificate scope statement accordingly to meet all customer needs.

Friends working with CBs in USA can suggest whether you can lodge a complaint with ANAB.

Optimistic view of this situation-Do you know that your combined certificate will be obsolete after July 2011,as per IAQG's original transition schedule?If you have a seperate ISO 9001:2008 certificate,it may live it's full granted life-3 years.This may be the reason of charging double by your honest CB:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: How does your registrar handle 2 certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001

We manage 3 with the registrar ., ISO 9001; ISO 13485 with CMDCAS; MDD.
It is in a single audit cycle and the scope is defined. The audit mandays set is in accordance with the scope (and any scope expansions) and headcount that is taken from us based on a client updation form that we fill and send prior to the audit. I am surprised if you say that the cost is x2 .. ?

D

DrM2u

I understand that you are being exploited by your CB as you are not in a position to change them at this moment.You could have decided and get an offer on this issue before selecting this CB.Now,you cannot go back and do that.So try to find out a solution.
I am not sure about other countries but in US you can change your registrar as you please. Remember, you are the customer and the registrar is a supplier of a service (registration & accreditation). You can always change your supplier if you are not happy with the value they provide. The only obstacles should be specified in the contractual agreement wuith your registrar.
Friends working with CBs in USA can suggest whether you can lodge a complaint with ANAB.
To the best of my knowledge ANAB (or any other accreditation body) has nothing to do with how a registrar structures their fees and have limited direction on how the services are provided. Their only concern is if the registrar complies with the applicable standards and regulations or not.

Top Bottom