How far do you commute to work?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I got up this morning and was browsing and found this article on the USA Today web site (I know, 'News for Kids'...). Any way, how far do you commute to work? How long does it take? How bad is your commute? How early are you out the door, and how does it impact the rest of your day?

While this specific article is about the US, feedback from anywhere in the world is appreciated.

USA Today said:
As commutes begin earlier, new daily routines emerge

By Larry Copeland, Haya El Nasser and Paul Overberg, USA TODAY - 12 August 2007

SMYRNA, Ga. — Harold Shaw leaves his home in suburban Atlanta at 5:30 a.m. to drive the 34 miles to his job at a fiber-optics cable plant. He gets there early enough to eat breakfast and read the newspaper.

"The traffic is not as busy this time of day," Shaw, 60, says after whipping into a QuikTrip store Monday to use the ATM and get a drink. "It's not as stressful if you don't have to deal with a lot of congestion."

But Shaw's reliable pre-dawn commute forces sacrifices in his personal life. He used to turn in after catching the first few minutes of the 11 o'clock news. He'd walk or jog in the mornings. Now, he goes to bed at 9 p.m. and rolls out at 4:30 a.m. "If I leave home after 6 and there's an accident," he says, "I'm late for work."

Americans are leaving home earlier and earlier to beat the rush and get to work on time. Census data released today document the ever-lengthening commutes: In 2000, 1 worker in 9 was out the door by 6 a.m., the new data says; by 2006, it was 1 in 8. That might not seem like a big change, but it has put more than 2.7 million additional drivers — for a total of 15 million — on pre-dawn patrol.

This "commuting creep" is changing the lives of tens of millions of Americans. It affects everything from the breakfast-food industry to television viewership trends, from traffic-signal timing to newspaper delivery times, from carpooling patterns to personal fitness routines. Increasingly early commutes also are altering workers' relationships with their families.

"What we're seeing now is this tremendous amount of traffic even before 5 a.m. It seems there's a big lifestyle change here," says Alan Pisarski, author of a wide-ranging study on commuting in the USA

(broken link removed)

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
20.2 Miles. I also leave early and eat breakfast at work. Otherwise I'm stuck behind school busses and wouldn't make it on time. Even leaving when I do, it is a half hour drive with no delays, but during the school year I run across the routes of no fewer than 10 school busses with pick-ups during that time frame.

T

Ted Schmitt

Luckily I´ve always lived near to where I work... today it takes me about 5 min to work (3 kilometers)... my daughter´s school is also very close so I can leave work at 5PM and still pick her up from school everyday at 5:30 (she studies from 1pm to 5:30 - in Brazil you can choose if you want to study in the morning or afternoon)... and since I HAVE to get her at school, I don´t get bogged down with staying late because of work !:tg:

M

Mr Niceguy

26 miles and 40 minutes through a national park. Very light traffic and nothing much to delay except sheep or cattle crossing sometimes. Shorter would be better but close to ideal with beautiful scenery.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
10 to 30 miles is the range that most people commute daily over here. Less than 10 is considered near.

D

Dean Frederickson

This job 7.2 miles each way. For 3 years I had a job that was only 1.1 miles each way. After that job I drove 77 miles each way for 2.5 years, it was worth it. Interesting topic, thanks for asking Marc.

Steve McQuality

Quality Engineer
Hey Marc:

Up until 1-1/2 yrs ago, I traveled 37mi door to door. It took between 45-50 mins. PennDot (PA Dept of Transportation) opened a "by-pass" around the town I was driving through, which shortened my drive time to about 40 mins. with no mileage change.

Now, I have a 3.5mi door to door commute and it takes about 10 mins. I find myself travelling the speed limit now - 25mph for 1/2 and 35mph for the other half. The old commute was 55mph limit for most of the trip, but like most commuters I tempted fate every morning by driving 65mph.

The old drive was rural and I never minded having the time to "wind up" in the morning and "wind down" in the evening - but now that my commute is 10min, I'm quite able to deal with the easier commute! It also allows me more family time - which is wonderful!! Plus, the new job's pretty great too! Lucky me :agree1:

-Steve

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
My commute is 22.6 miles each way, and very light traffic as it is mostly rural. I drive up and over the mountain, crossing a very scenic canyon along the way which is part of a natural preserve. Breathtakingly beautiful, especially in the fall with leaves changing colors. Definitely the most beautiful and scenic commute I've had in 20 years (when I lived in Mesa, AZ and had the Superstition Mtns either in front of me or in my rearview mirror most of the time!).

Like Steel, there are the daily school bus routes to watch out for, especially when I'm a little late in leaving for work. It takes about 20-30 minutes each way, depending on tractor-trailer traffic since this is a major route for most trucking companies....

W

wmarhel

My drive is 62 miles one way, which can be pretty tedious some days.

Wayne

Top Bottom