How I should process previous non-conformities on documents or records?

N

newblues

Hi,

Could you advise me how I should process previous non-conformities on documents or records?

There are cases that you find that you have errors in previous records/documents.
Corrective action may be quite simple, such as to set a clear requirements on SOP not to repeat such error. However, correction is sometimes impossible when you need to search for thousands of previous records in archive and correct them one by one.
Is there requirements or guidelines for such a case?

Thank you.

newblues

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,

Could you advise me how I should process previous non-conformities on documents or records?

There are cases that you find that you have errors in previous records/documents.
Corrective action may be quite simple, such as to set a clear requirements on SOP not to repeat such error. However, correction is sometimes impossible when you need to search for thousands of previous records in archive and correct them one by one.
Is there requirements or guidelines for such a case?

Thank you.

newblues
newblues,

Kindly describe the nature of the nonconformity that concerns you most.

If the historical record is inaccurate then are the inaccuracies:

1. Significant, if so in what way?
2. Isolated or chronic?

If these inaccuracies are worthy of corrective action, instead of just correction, how was your management system changed to:

A. Stop inaccurate recording (possibly with automation)?
B. Help users to get their records right?

If the inaccuracy is systemic but analog then a global note may suffice provide the record cannot be accessed without making the user aware. If the inaccuracy is systemic but digital then a script may be developed and run to correct all the records with this inaccuracy.

Whatever you decide to do it should be proportionate to the risk and the old record should not be replaced with the corrected record; both should remain visible.

But all this depends on the nature of the nonconformity which is usually expressed as the opposite of the requirement.

John

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Records:
You must not resort to records correction in secrecy, but set your records generating process more robust.
The errors in records can be trivial to serious to legal issues and must be carefully assessed based upon the risks. There are methods for records correction that one must follow including records correction approvals. Older the records, less are the chances that you need to look into.

Documents:
When the activities are correct, but the document is not, errors have to assessed and planned revisions and approvals can be made. Again depending upon the risks one can prioritize the correction activity.
When activities are being done per the document, and there are errors, these are high risk areas where a document change activity must be immediately taken up. Again the priority depends upon the risk levels.

N

newblues

Hi John,

Thank you.

It's our rework instruction, related to my another thread I posted today.
"Reason for determining no adverse effect on reworked product"

On our rework instructions previously issued, only Yes or No (as a determination for adverse effect) has been stated, and we don't have any reason for determining No.

I can't say it's significant or not because each rework activity varies. In some case it might be significant. And of course it's chronic. Also they are all analog.

What kind of rework was to be done is stated on the rework instruction, so probably reason for each determination can be documented by reviewing previous records. Yes, it depends on how I consider the risk. I'll discuss with my colleagues.

Rgds,

Yoichi

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi John,

Thank you.

It's our rework instruction, related to my another thread I posted today.
"Reason for determining no adverse effect on reworked product"

On our rework instructions previously issued, only Yes or No (as a determination for adverse effect) has been stated, and we don't have any reason for determining No.

I can't say it's significant or not because each rework activity varies. In some case it might be significant. And of course it's chronic. Also they are all analog.

What kind of rework was to be done is stated on the rework instruction, so probably reason for each determination can be documented by reviewing previous records. Yes, it depends on how I consider the risk. I'll discuss with my colleagues.

Rgds,

Yoichi
Yoichi,

Repair is usually more significant than rework.

After all, repair is a design change.

Capturing this decision and its significance usually requires a cross-functional team including the product's designer or design representative.

And yes, it is important to record the reasons for the decisions. You may find that the decision-makers used criteria and that these criteria should form part of the record if not part of the procedure itself.

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Supplier Approval Process – Should the Quality Department be Excluded? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Y The challenge of why should we have ISO9001 and process audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Should I have Process or Product Focus in PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
Q Sales, different products/path to client, should be pictured each in Process Maps? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q How detailed should Process Maps be? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
L Design Validation Process Owner - Who should be the process owner of validation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A ISO 9001 Recertification Process - How should I prepare for it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
H What should be included in a Machining Process FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Process Objectives and Metrics - Should every documented process have objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Should prices be included in customer related process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Certification Body - Should I contact them before Documentation Process or After? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Where should I reference my sample Process Diagram ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Bilijaf Should we have a documented finance process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
I Poll: Should auditors promote the process approach? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 331
D Inspection for Process Approval - How many batches I should test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
B Process Flows/Turtles and ISO9001 - How and when they should be used ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Who should "own" the Risk Management Process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C DFMEA (Design FMEA) and PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Who should lead? FMEA and Control Plans 14
B What other activities should be included in a Continuous Improvement process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Should the process be documented ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Should "missed process step" be filled in PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T How should I define a process-The use of the Active Voice Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 14
M Customer is also my supplier - Should I perform an audit to his process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Paul Simpson Which of these are Processes and should have Process Maps and why? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 133
F Who should Sign Supplier PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) documents? APQP and PPAP 13
W What is meant by Process Approach Auditing and What questions should be asked? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 11
D At what stage should we proceed with manufacturing process audit? General Auditing Discussions 6
N Should a Process Map have all the Core Processes? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
E Should Inspection Be A Step in Process Flow? FMEA and Control Plans 17
O Which reliablity items should be tested for backside metallization process? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
B Should 1st Piece Process be a Control or a Line Item in the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
M Supply and Delivery - How should I approach the work for a specific process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Process Capability Data (TS16949 8.2.3.1) - How often should it be reviewed? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
Sidney Vianna Should the billing process be part of ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 99
Crusader Process Approach beef - Registrar says that we 'should' use the process approach General Auditing Discussions 20
P TS16949 - Should specific process notes be considered a controlled document. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Keeping a Stable Process for a company, any suggestions? Should I being doing more? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S How should we track a process for Quality System Studies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Tool Approval Process - Should we be using Cmk for tool validation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Manix How comprehensive should a process flow be? Production Operation Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
J Should "process maps" be challenged? Does TS 16949 require process maps or not? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
L Where should the Process Failure Form reside? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Process FMEA - Should FMEA be done for all processes? FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Cp and Cpk - Cpk is an index that should be applied to a stable process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1