How important is using the "correct" GMDN?

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions
Good Morning All

About a year ago I took over as the Quality lead for a company making x-ray emitting medical devices. I have recently reviewed our GMDN account and technical file and found what I believe to be a potential discrepancy.

Without giving specifics (and getting in trouble for quoting the full details of the GMDN codes) there are two GMDN numbers that only differ by the final sentence "the main body of the unit is mounted on wheels" or "the main body of the unit is fixed" all other text for the code is identical. The rest of this is a number of sentences describing the device and its function/

Our technical file states that all of our systems fall under the second "the main body of the unit is fixed" GMDN number, however, one of our systems could be argued to have "the main body of the unit mounted on wheels".

What should I do and how would this impact country registrations where we have stated a GMDN number for the system that could potentially be incorrect?

I'm fairly new to the regulatory side of stuff and would appreciate some advice, thanks. Please let me know if I've not been clear or you would like any clarification.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I'll weigh in to hopefully provoke discussion - but unfortunately don't have a definitive answer.

My feeling is that it probably doesn't matter. In many cases (save going through a process of requesting new codes), the description you select is usually just "best fit". In previous threads I'd expressed my scepticism of the value of GMDN. Despite all the claims from the GMDN Agency of the codes facilitating data exchange and inventory management, I've yet to see where these codes are actually employed in practice (that adds value).

Can anyone with more knowledge of GMDN use kindly weigh in on the risks?
  1. What is the risk if your selected GMDN code is not the "best" fit (i.e. there is another code that could potentially describe more accurately)?
  2. What is the risk that a mistaken/misapplied code is ever identified (especially in cases where it's pretty close)?
  3. If the wrong code is used, what is the potential consequence?
I'd love to know. Please, someone sell me the value of GMDN codes. I'm sick of being so cynical about them! :p

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions
Thank you. It does not seem like an overly popular topic or something that people want to weight in on. Your comment of it not mattering too much, is pretty much where I had got to. As I have only recently been exposed to the joys of GMDN, I did not want to make that assumption without farming the question out to the wonderful people here.

I would be really interested to see what others opinions on your questions are. Hopefully, someone will feel compelled?!

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Good Morning All

About a year ago I took over as the Quality lead for a company making x-ray emitting medical devices. I have recently reviewed our GMDN account and technical file and found what I believe to be a potential discrepancy.

Without giving specifics (and getting in trouble for quoting the full details of the GMDN codes) there are two GMDN numbers that only differ by the final sentence "the main body of the unit is mounted on wheels" or "the main body of the unit is fixed" all other text for the code is identical. The rest of this is a number of sentences describing the device and its function/

Our technical file states that all of our systems fall under the second "the main body of the unit is fixed" GMDN number, however, one of our systems could be argued to have "the main body of the unit mounted on wheels".

What should I do and how would this impact country registrations where we have stated a GMDN number for the system that could potentially be incorrect?

I'm fairly new to the regulatory side of stuff and would appreciate some advice, thanks. Please let me know if I've not been clear or you would like any clarification.
FAQ - GMDN Agency

What if I choose the wrong GMDN Code?
If the User wishes to change the GMDN Code selected for a particular product, it is recommended that the User discusses this with their Regulator or Conformity Assessment Body. Please contact us if you have any concerns. If users no longer want us to monitor a Term in the their 'My Terms' list, this can be moved to their 'My Archive' list.

moounir

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Somashekar for the FAQ from GMDN Agency.

Same as for Mark, I don't think this has a big impact. But lets discuss it.

Usually GMDN are used by Notified Bodies when they need to audit us. This is helpful for them to choose the right auditor with the right knowledge of the product.

This is also used for the registration and see to which category this products belong to.

I would say that what you describe is really a minor discrepency as the product is the same and the difference is between fix and mobile.

I would recommand to update that on your files and inform the Notified Body. But don't forget to include that on your QMS (Open a CAPA, NC or just information on the Management Review).

The auditor will check if there is an impact on the risk for the product. So a quick risk assessment should be done saying that there is no risk identified.

I know this can look a lot but it's only 1 letter, 1 announcement on your quality system and the information to the Notified Body.

Why?

Because it depends on your Notified Body and Auditor. If they discover it, they can raise an observation because your product identification is misleading, or they can say that your QMS was not used correctly to catch the issue and solve it or...

Auditors are human, so it can be nothing on the best case or at the extreme it can be a proof that your system is not working. I know stupid but I've met some auditors that were a bit too picky on anything. So I prefer you be on the safe side by performing a preventive action.

I hope this helped.

med_cert

Involved In Discussions
Some regulatory agencies require only one GMDN code. We are not able do define only one code for our product as there are at least three GMDN codes that alltogether cover intended use of our device...
Should we coose the GMDN code that covers the "main" intended use, should we insist on three GMDN codes,....?? Its really confusing... GMDN agency does not have solution, however they don't want to change/modify their GMDN terms.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G How important is using the current QCI study primer revision for preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
D What are the important things to keep track of in product audit checklist? Software Quality Assurance 3
B The most important criteria of IEC 60601-1 medical devices safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M How important is a Quality Manual - ISO 9001:2008 to 9001:2015 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 95
R Which of the following indicators is important for Operations - Ppk, Cpk, or Cpm? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
B How important it is to select Parts that represent the Process Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Is a Job Title important? Career and Occupation Discussions 28
M Important procedures and clauses for company which provides equipment rental Service Industry Specific Topics 1
somashekar Link to important websites within the Cove Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
M Accountability for all product - Why it is important? Intent of 7.5.1 g) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
E How important is External Verification of Corruption Prevention Programs? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
J Late CA (Corrective Action) excuse or I'm too important or no response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
arios Important Regulatory changes in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A What is more important - Head office OR Factory? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Can a project have multiple Ys that are interrelated and important to the process? Six Sigma 5
H Beautiful, Graphic, Process Map examples wanted - Graphic design is important Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
G Short TQM training - Choosing of most important points Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
D An important travel tip Imported Legacy Blogs 4
O I need a process map for ISO 9001 important processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M The 3 Most Important Tips to Starters Implementing a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
A Most Important Knowledge in the Quality Assurance field - What to Learn Career and Occupation Discussions 11
Q What are the most important documents to maintain with your audit package Internal Auditing 15
Jim Wynne Why it's important to have clear specifications Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
M What are the most Important Areas that Concern the External Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Is Accreditation of Auditor Training Important? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 29
S Are Teeth Important in Making Good First Impressions? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 31
S Why historical data & benchmark data is important in APQP planning phase APQP and PPAP 6
Statistical Steven Accuracy vs. Precision - What is more important for Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 55
R TQM Project - Books on important TQM books The Reading Room 5
N Is safety in chemical industry an important requirement to be ISO certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
W How important the QMS could be in our work - Seeking presentation for colleagues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D "Shop-Floor Work Instruction" ? How important they are? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Marc Which is more important to a Quality Professional - MBA or Six Sigma Black Belt? Professional Certifications and Degrees 44
C IATF Guidance for TS 16949:2002 - Course Instructor says it's important ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
Y Why are the principles of controlled documentation important to a QMS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A Decreasing our Ppm! Important and effective point to decrease ppm level Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
WALLACE Is Training Important to Your Organization? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 22
J Industry codes: how important? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Quality Culture - Teaching Quality is as Important as Safety Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
S Quality Objectives. What? How? And How important to the organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Quality not Important for British Companies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
S What is the life cycle costing? Why so important? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Is calibration of digital panel important in any semicon company? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Z Linearity of Bias in MSA - Why is it important? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
Tagin Evaluating nonconformances for escalation using Bayesian methods? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12