How long does your company take to close an 8D on average?

How long does your company take to close an 8D on average?

• 0 - 5 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 - 30 days

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 31 - 60 days

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • 61 - 90 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • > 90 days

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Corrective Actions are too diverse for an average to be significant.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Your results will probably vary significantly based on the industry. For example, automotive will put a much greater sense of urgency on closing an 8D than say the commercial products industry.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'm still waiting on a corrective action for a complaint RFCA I sent to Sears on a kitchen range I bought in 2005 or there abouts... :notme:

Hard to say. It depends so very much on what the problem is, and the product involved. Sometimes you can get to grips with it fairly easily, and on other occasions extensive lab tests may be necessary.

AYDOSE

Involved In Discussions
Hard to say. It depends so very much on what the problem is, and the product involved. Also clear definition and evidences about the problem that were supplied by customer. So it is difficult to give exact day for this question

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
In addition to the diversity in complexity and urgency it depends on what is meant by closing an 8D. Some people will close a corrective action will simple correction and a guess at cause for a 'permanent' solution...this can be done fairly quickly. Although it usually isn't usually very effective.

I'm curious tho: what is prompting this question?

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
I am with Bev on this. To "close" a 8D, many organization may interpret it differently. I have a client who considers completion of corrective action as the "close date" as the timelines for preventive actions vary on a case to case basis.

Kiran Walimbe

Involved In Discussions
As an experienced implementer and now, a trainer, of Global 8 D method, most 8 D projects in Automotive industry take, in my experience, between 75 to 90 days to fully and conclusively close the cases.

Last edited:

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
I’m in the “Corrective Actions are too diverse for an average to be significant” camp, although that said, it doesn’t stop some of my customers placing a hard 30 day deadline on “closing out” an 8D regardless of its complexity. These are the same customers who throw away the packaging and traceability labels the minute the product comes through their door, that would have really aided the process in identifying the root cause. But what would I want to know what machine, shift and operator(s) made the component and what batch of material it was made out of anyway? I am just using convenient excuses to delay the 8D process (their words not mine :).

It’s maddening, but I don’t get this with my non-automotive customers, and I often wonder how they achieved and maintain IATF without maintaining traceability of their incoming components.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Medical Device New Product Design & Development- How long does this process take you? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
W AS9100C registration - How long does the system have to run before initial audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
R Does long-term body worn medical monitoring device need to meet IEC 60601-1-11? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
C How long does AS9100 QMS need to be in place before the Audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A How long does it take US FDA to issue a Warning Letter Close Out Letter Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C How long does it take to get the ISO 9001 certificate after passing the audit? Registrars and Notified Bodies 21
Y Why does it take so long for a Food Recall to come out? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E How long does it take to certify a scope extension? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C How long does it take to clear back ground checking? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
R How long does it take for registrar to issue certificate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
L CE Mark - FDA - Class I traction systems - What is involved and how long does it take EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Watchcat How long is this going to take? (UK & ventilators) Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
R How long to wait for Notified Body Response - Potentially significant change to a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
1 How to measure straightness on a HEX Long Bar Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
M FDA News Statement from USFDA on steps to strengthen the long-term safety oversight of the Essure device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Class I medical device and Category III PPE - Long length gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T How long will ISO 9001:2015 Recertification Take? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J How long should I have to correct an audit finding? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
A How to systemically improve product quality in short-term and long-term basis? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
B Control of Duplicate Documents - Limited Scope (long) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Long length measurement of 18" up to 100" with an accuracy of .005 min General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
SteveK Long time for NB to review to change the classification of one of our products! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Is calibration from long ago still valid on never used pipettes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Sean Kelley How long should it take to get new TS 16949 certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M How long should AS9100 Certificate issuance take? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Marc A silk casing enables long-lasting, implantable Wi-Fi medical devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
G SDS (Safety Data Sheets) Records - When and how long? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
B Long Term Process Capability from miltiple Machines and Fixtures Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
O Takt Time Calculation for Long Runner Product Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
M Corrective action on Non-conformances from a long time ago ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Pre-clinical Animal Studies for long term implantable medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Long Range OC Curves - Acceptance Sampling Switching Rules Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
kedarg6500 Sample Size for Short Term & Long Term Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
V How long can a development stage incident be open? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S What documents/records should we be retaining and for how long? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
AnaMariaVR2 Dirty Medicine - Long-term criminal fraud at Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
Wes Bucey Discrimination against long term unemployed Career and Occupation Discussions 2
5 5S Coordinator (Long-winded) Job Title Career and Occupation Discussions 8
B Management Review Meetings too Long - How to Shorten and Improve Effectiveness Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7