How long does your company take to close an 8D on average?

How long does your company take to close an 8D on average?

• 0 - 5 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 - 30 days

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 31 - 60 days

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • 61 - 90 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • > 90 days

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Corrective Actions are too diverse for an average to be significant.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Your results will probably vary significantly based on the industry. For example, automotive will put a much greater sense of urgency on closing an 8D than say the commercial products industry.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm still waiting on a corrective action for a complaint RFCA I sent to Sears on a kitchen range I bought in 2005 or there abouts... :notme:

Hard to say. It depends so very much on what the problem is, and the product involved. Sometimes you can get to grips with it fairly easily, and on other occasions extensive lab tests may be necessary.

AYDOSE

Involved In Discussions
Hard to say. It depends so very much on what the problem is, and the product involved. Also clear definition and evidences about the problem that were supplied by customer. So it is difficult to give exact day for this question

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
In addition to the diversity in complexity and urgency it depends on what is meant by closing an 8D. Some people will close a corrective action will simple correction and a guess at cause for a 'permanent' solution...this can be done fairly quickly. Although it usually isn't usually very effective.

I'm curious tho: what is prompting this question?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
I am with Bev on this. To "close" a 8D, many organization may interpret it differently. I have a client who considers completion of corrective action as the "close date" as the timelines for preventive actions vary on a case to case basis.

Kiran Walimbe

Involved In Discussions
As an experienced implementer and now, a trainer, of Global 8 D method, most 8 D projects in Automotive industry take, in my experience, between 75 to 90 days to fully and conclusively close the cases.

Last edited:

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
I’m in the “Corrective Actions are too diverse for an average to be significant” camp, although that said, it doesn’t stop some of my customers placing a hard 30 day deadline on “closing out” an 8D regardless of its complexity. These are the same customers who throw away the packaging and traceability labels the minute the product comes through their door, that would have really aided the process in identifying the root cause. But what would I want to know what machine, shift and operator(s) made the component and what batch of material it was made out of anyway? I am just using convenient excuses to delay the 8D process (their words not mine :).

It’s maddening, but I don’t get this with my non-automotive customers, and I often wonder how they achieved and maintain IATF without maintaining traceability of their incoming components.

Last edited:
Top Bottom