How long should I have to correct an audit finding?

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
A customer audited us to VDA back on November 23rd. Mind you, we had 3 customer audits before the VDA, so needed to answer those findings as well. Plus we were preparing for our IATF audit in the middle of December at our main plant, with another IATF at our secondary plant in the middle of January. The auditor is complaining that we don't have all of our findings addressed. I tried to ask for an extension, explaining to her all of the above, but the auditor didn't seem to understand why we couldn't get them corrected. We ended up with a "B" and 18 issues that we have to corrects..

Doing the audit on November 23rd with all of the other audits PLUS Thanksgiving and Christmas thrown in for good measure, what would be an acceptable timing to resolve these findings?

I'm used to having 90 days, maybe I'm just wrong..

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I'm mot a fan of any timeframe. Some issues take 10 min and some 6 months.

90 days would seem "normal." Usually I have seen a 30 and 60 update as well.

I'm sure they are getting pressure to "close" it out. Maybe just give them a plan.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
what would be an acceptable timing to resolve these findings?
For internally identified nonconformities, I agree that timeliness to resolve the issue with correction and corrective actions should be flexible, depending on issue complexity and risks involved.

For externally reported corrective action requests, such as customer audits and 3[sup]rd[/sup] party auditors, they normally provide you a "fixed" timeframe to respond.

"The auditor is complaining that we don't have all of our findings addressed. I tried to ask for an extension, explaining to her all of the above, but the auditor didn't seem to understand why we couldn't get them corrected."

Customer auditors will do what they will, depending on their competency. Sadly, this and many others are clearly incompetent. I'd be very interested to know the actual content of the audit findings - that is often a clue to the timeliness of their closure. If I were a betting person, I'd wager they didn't amount to a hill of beans...

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I'm STILL dealing with this.. so here are some of the findings. The auditor is an employee of the customer.

We don't (and haven't for 30 years) forced OUR suppliers (raw aluminum billet) to do PPAPs.. The auditor wants this done going forward.

We keep some of our base bulk material outside (overflow), probably a couple weeks, covered I plastic. The auditor doesn't understand why we do that when we have a warehouse for it "maybe you can expand your warehouse".. wtf?

Some of our PPAPs were not signed off by the auditor's company. We have changed this in our APQP, so that no material can be shipped to THIS company without having signed warrants. This has never been a problem for as long as we've been submitting PPAPs. Although, I can see her point, but some customers want their material NOW, they tell us we can send the PPAP later.. oh well..

We have our raw material in rows with signs hanging over them stating what they are. The signs were placed 20 years ago prior to using computers and barcodes for traceability throughout our process. One row has bulk material we use for a certain customer. It has labels and barcodes and cannot be used in the process because the barcodes are scanned, if it is the wrong bulk material it is rejected and cannot be use.. finding: it isn't identified as well as the other rows.. :(

The method we use for training is not clearly defined, mainly how new employees are introduced to quality and continuous improvement system.. So now I have to make a presentation for new employees..

Some stuff the auditor found was good and we're addressing it but some of them are low low risk that we have addressed but the auditor didn't like how we addressed it..

Golfman25

Sounds like you are in a world of hurt. What happens if you "push back" and say these finding are BS, let me talk to your boss?

Not being identified "as well as" is not a non-conformance. Neither is storing stuff outside. Maybe they can pay for the warehouse expansion. :)

Good luck.

Ron Rompen

It sounds to me like the auditor is actively looking for an excuse to write a finding - what standard (if any) is he using for the audit?

Although it's a little late for the past audit, it is PERFECTLY acceptable to ask an auditor what clause of the standard your process is nonconforming to; if he can't show it to you, then it's a matter of HIS personal preference, and should not be subject to a nonconformance.

I have disputed (successfully) audit findings in this manner previously, and if it keeps your workload down, it's worth at least considering.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
Sean Kelley How long should it take to get new TS 16949 certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M How long should AS9100 Certificate issuance take? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
S What documents/records should we be retaining and for how long? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V How long a CV (Curriculum Vitae / Resume) should be? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
R Customer Complaints Processing - How long should it take??? Customer Complaints 15
C How long should you have to close out a major TS 16949 audit finding? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D Life of the part - How long should I keep processing data, powder, raw material tests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Watchcat How long is this going to take? (UK & ventilators) Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R How long to wait for Notified Body Response - Potentially significant change to a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
1 How to measure straightness on a HEX Long Bar Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M FDA News Statement from USFDA on steps to strengthen the long-term safety oversight of the Essure device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Class I medical device and Category III PPE - Long length gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T How long will ISO 9001:2015 Recertification Take? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
A How to systemically improve product quality in short-term and long-term basis? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
B Control of Duplicate Documents - Limited Scope (long) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Proud Liberal How long does your company take to close an 8D on average? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
D Long length measurement of 18" up to 100" with an accuracy of .005 min General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
SteveK Long time for NB to review to change the classification of one of our products! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Is calibration from long ago still valid on never used pipettes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Marc A silk casing enables long-lasting, implantable Wi-Fi medical devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
L Medical Device New Product Design & Development- How long does this process take you? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
G SDS (Safety Data Sheets) Records - When and how long? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
B Long Term Process Capability from miltiple Machines and Fixtures Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
O Takt Time Calculation for Long Runner Product Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
W AS9100C registration - How long does the system have to run before initial audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Corrective action on Non-conformances from a long time ago ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Pre-clinical Animal Studies for long term implantable medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Long Range OC Curves - Acceptance Sampling Switching Rules Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
kedarg6500 Sample Size for Short Term & Long Term Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
V How long can a development stage incident be open? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
AnaMariaVR2 Dirty Medicine - Long-term criminal fraud at Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
R Does long-term body worn medical monitoring device need to meet IEC 60601-1-11? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Wes Bucey Discrimination against long term unemployed Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C How long does AS9100 QMS need to be in place before the Audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
5 5S Coordinator (Long-winded) Job Title Career and Occupation Discussions 8
B Management Review Meetings too Long - How to Shorten and Improve Effectiveness Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7
L How long can the sample for Bio-Burden Test be kept? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
D ECG Electrodes - Duration of Use (How long they are expected to stay on the patient) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C Help a beginner in the CE Marking world! (Semi long post) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2