How long should I have to correct an audit finding?

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
A customer audited us to VDA back on November 23rd. Mind you, we had 3 customer audits before the VDA, so needed to answer those findings as well. Plus we were preparing for our IATF audit in the middle of December at our main plant, with another IATF at our secondary plant in the middle of January. The auditor is complaining that we don't have all of our findings addressed. I tried to ask for an extension, explaining to her all of the above, but the auditor didn't seem to understand why we couldn't get them corrected. We ended up with a "B" and 18 issues that we have to corrects..

Doing the audit on November 23rd with all of the other audits PLUS Thanksgiving and Christmas thrown in for good measure, what would be an acceptable timing to resolve these findings?

I'm used to having 90 days, maybe I'm just wrong..

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I'm mot a fan of any timeframe. Some issues take 10 min and some 6 months.

90 days would seem "normal." Usually I have seen a 30 and 60 update as well.

I'm sure they are getting pressure to "close" it out. Maybe just give them a plan.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
what would be an acceptable timing to resolve these findings?
For internally identified nonconformities, I agree that timeliness to resolve the issue with correction and corrective actions should be flexible, depending on issue complexity and risks involved.

For externally reported corrective action requests, such as customer audits and 3[sup]rd[/sup] party auditors, they normally provide you a "fixed" timeframe to respond.

AndyN

Moved On
"The auditor is complaining that we don't have all of our findings addressed. I tried to ask for an extension, explaining to her all of the above, but the auditor didn't seem to understand why we couldn't get them corrected."

Customer auditors will do what they will, depending on their competency. Sadly, this and many others are clearly incompetent. I'd be very interested to know the actual content of the audit findings - that is often a clue to the timeliness of their closure. If I were a betting person, I'd wager they didn't amount to a hill of beans...

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I'm STILL dealing with this.. so here are some of the findings. The auditor is an employee of the customer.

We don't (and haven't for 30 years) forced OUR suppliers (raw aluminum billet) to do PPAPs.. The auditor wants this done going forward.

We keep some of our base bulk material outside (overflow), probably a couple weeks, covered I plastic. The auditor doesn't understand why we do that when we have a warehouse for it "maybe you can expand your warehouse".. wtf?

Some of our PPAPs were not signed off by the auditor's company. We have changed this in our APQP, so that no material can be shipped to THIS company without having signed warrants. This has never been a problem for as long as we've been submitting PPAPs. Although, I can see her point, but some customers want their material NOW, they tell us we can send the PPAP later.. oh well..

We have our raw material in rows with signs hanging over them stating what they are. The signs were placed 20 years ago prior to using computers and barcodes for traceability throughout our process. One row has bulk material we use for a certain customer. It has labels and barcodes and cannot be used in the process because the barcodes are scanned, if it is the wrong bulk material it is rejected and cannot be use.. finding: it isn't identified as well as the other rows.. :(

The method we use for training is not clearly defined, mainly how new employees are introduced to quality and continuous improvement system.. So now I have to make a presentation for new employees..

Some stuff the auditor found was good and we're addressing it but some of them are low low risk that we have addressed but the auditor didn't like how we addressed it..

Golfman25

Sounds like you are in a world of hurt. What happens if you "push back" and say these finding are BS, let me talk to your boss?

Not being identified "as well as" is not a non-conformance. Neither is storing stuff outside. Maybe they can pay for the warehouse expansion. :)

Good luck.

Ron Rompen

It sounds to me like the auditor is actively looking for an excuse to write a finding - what standard (if any) is he using for the audit?

Although it's a little late for the past audit, it is PERFECTLY acceptable to ask an auditor what clause of the standard your process is nonconforming to; if he can't show it to you, then it's a matter of HIS personal preference, and should not be subject to a nonconformance.

I have disputed (successfully) audit findings in this manner previously, and if it keeps your workload down, it's worth at least considering.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
but the auditor didn't like how we addressed it..
Explain to her that you have MANY CUSTOMERS and can not run your company at the whim of a single individual that wants to micromanage suppliers. Just find a way of saying that in a tactful and diplomatic way....;)

Top Bottom