SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

How Many Companies Pursue the Baldrige Award?

O

Old Quality Gal

Hi My Trusty Team of Experts!
I am doing some research on the Baldridge Award, requirements, who has won, why they pursued it etc.
The one factoid I am coming up empty on is how many companies are actively competing?
I see several repeat winners and given the narrow offering of award categories I am trying to determine if this is because the mechanisms in place drive progress towards excellence, the examiners are biased by a comfort factor, or is the pool of competing companies small or is it another factor?
Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I am fine with just gut impressions or aiming me at other information resources. Three of my clients are past award winners and the two I contacted Dana Spicer Drive Shaft and Motorola could not really answer my question which also surprised me.
They do have strong positive opinions about the value of the system, criteria and pursuit of the prize.
Looking forward to your answers and info as always!
Regards,
Mary

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Pflanz

Re: How Many Companies Pursue the Baldridge Award?

It is my understanding that the pool of actual applicants is very small because there is a lot of work that is needed for the supporting documentation. Baldrige tries not to focus on the applications as much as the value derived from using the concepts. They sometimes report their successes as not how many organizations applied for the award recognition but how many have applied the criteria. Balridge also routinely hypes how much value the organization gains even if they never apply for the award. I realize this approach could lead to erroneous support if all that is counted is how many organizations requested the application forms.

Bill Pflanz

O

Old Quality Gal

It is my understanding that the pool of actual applicants is very small because there is a lot of work that is needed for the supporting documentation. Baldrige tries not to focus on the applications as much as the value derived from using the concepts. They sometimes report their successes as not how many organizations applied for the award recognition but how many have applied the criteria. Balridge also routinely hypes how much value the organization gains even if they never apply for the award. I realize this approach could lead to erroneous support if all that is counted is how many organizations requested the application forms.

Bill Pflanz
Bill,
I certainly didn't mean it was a negative that the pool is small.
We are making a business decision whether we need to add a version to our compliance software configured to address Baldridge specific requirements ( gap analysis, checklists, documentation templates etc). Part of that decision and only part of course is the potential market size.
The other factor that we have satisfied ourselves with is that the changes would likely have some interest to nonbaldridge companies. Thanks for you input!
Regards,
Mary

R

ralphsulser

What is the actual benefit of achieving the Baldridge Award?
Obviously it wasn't monetary for Dana because they filed for banckruptcy last October. I think others look at it and say "How is this going to help profitability?" It is a lot of work if no return is realized on the bottom line.

Just do a good job, make an acceptable profit, and keep your customers happy.

O

Old Quality Gal

What is the actual benefit of achieving the Baldridge Award?
Obviously it wasn't monetary for Dana because they filed for banckruptcy last October. I think others look at it and say "How is this going to help profitability?" It is a lot of work if no return is realized on the bottom line.

Just do a good job, make an acceptable profit, and keep your customers happy.
If my memory serves me right the GM Cadillac division that was one of the first ones to win was also one of the least profitable.
I always think that there is a cross point between quality and price, a 200 dollor paper clip , no matter how great will not sell.
Also Dana has really struggled but they are doing a bit better now. They are a monster of a company with some parts doing well and some still finding their way.
Regards,
Mary

M

Madfox

Dear Ms. Quality Gal:

Since you know so much about the Baldridge perhaps you can clarify something for me. Last year I contacted the local Baldridge organization to become an examiner...
a) I had to attend their multi-day class...OK
b) I had to pay $400 for it...(?)
c) I would have to remain "on alert" 24/7 to conduct multi-day audits, gratis,
on short notice

Are examiners:
a) retired
b) unemployed
c) rich
d) crazy

The confused Madfox

B

Bill Pflanz

Bill,
I certainly didn't mean it was a negative that the pool is small.
Regards,
Mary
Mary,

My real intent was to point out that the number of award winners and applicants may be small but the hope is that organizations will try to use the Baldrige guidelines even if they never apply. Even partial use of the guidelines is better than no formal quality systems.

I thought one of the reasons for the ISO 9000 - 2000 standards upate was to make it more in line with Baldrige.

Bill

O

Old Quality Gal

Dear Ms. Quality Gal:

Since you know so much about the Baldridge perhaps you can clarify something for me. Last year I contacted the local Baldridge organization to become an examiner...
a) I had to attend their multi-day class...OK
b) I had to pay $400 for it...(?)
c) I would have to remain "on alert" 24/7 to conduct multi-day audits, gratis,
on short notice

Are examiners:
a) retired
b) unemployed
c) rich
d) crazy

The confused Madfox
Hi There Madfox,
I know very little about Baldridge actually. That is why I placed the post. I just know what I have read over the years and I have a soft spot because I once sold Malcolm Baldridge a horse ( true story). I used to raise quarter horses and the name sake of the award bought a nice little mare from me.
He was a competitive calf roper and actually died in a riding accident ( horse stepped on him). I think he is even in the rodeo hall of fame if I remember correctly.
I have clients that have competed for the award and won but I was not involved directly in their efforts although our software played a part.
I have a couple of clients that have asked for some specific changes to our software to facilitate some of their specific needs. If we decided to make those changes I would likely be asked to educate myself in a hurry. My input has been to pass on the changes because with less than 100 companies competing in recent years it isn't enough market share to pursue. I am more interested in using precious developer time for addressing other standard specifics such as AS 9000 and TL 9000.
So I couldn't tell you much about the personal habits of the examiners. My guess is they are just hard working quality folks like the vast majority of us.
Regards,
Mary

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N MDSAP Participants 2019 - How many companies are participating YTD? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
M How many companies are required to capture Nonconformance Costs Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
K How many companies are AS9100 certified? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q How many companies have lost their ISO 9001 registration involuntarily? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Howard Atkins How Many Companies Are TS 16949 Registered? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc How Many Companies Are Really Registered to ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
J How many companies have really benefited from ISO 14000 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
C How many companies world wide are registered to ISO 9001 and QS-9000? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
T How many companies are giving up ISO9000 registration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B ISOI 9001 Registration statistics - How many companies loose their registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
B How many nonconformances have you received on average during IATF audits? General Auditing Discussions 24
G Too many customer complaints Customer Complaints 16
I How many gauges in a Go/No Go Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Watchcat How Many Notified Bodies are "Enough" Already? EU Medical Device Regulations 23
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
M Informational From RAPS – Operating System Vulnerabilities in Many Medical Devices, Germany’s BfArM and Device Firms Warn Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Validation of Medical Device Hardware containing Software - How many to Validate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K How Many Samples to send for Chemistry Testing Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
J Supplier choice limitation - Many of them dont have PSCR, VDA or even ISO 9001 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
O Clean room performance qualification (pq) - How many times can I do each test? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G How many samples you require to test during PQ for validation of a equipment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D IATF 16949: Do we have too many processes? Are they all the same? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
D QMS Performance Based on how many NCRs were generated month to month Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
S How many QMS processes and procedures? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L How many of you are Certified to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G How many Uncertainty Measurements for Micrometers and Calipers? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
R How many Corrective Action Request can be Issued by DCMA for a single issue? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A Training Program Help - Old docs, new docs, so many docs... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M How many Pieces to Test - Sterility Testing USP EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Are we an outlier for so many variations of Change Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
S How many times do you have the term 'Requirements' in your Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L How many working hours to required to implement ISO 14001 ? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
B ISO/TS16949 Internal Auditing - How many auditors? Internal Auditing 4
R Training Production Employees When We Have SOOO Many SOPs Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
P Scope Extension Audit - How many days? Do I audit all AS9100 requirements? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J How can I manage Occurence Rates in FMEA efficiently when I have many processes? FMEA and Control Plans 9
V How many times the quality agreement has been invoked? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C How to document many document control systems with one Document Control Procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A How many laboratories are accredited to ISO 17025 in the USA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
R Is it possible to randomly select samples from 1 column to many column Using Minitab Software 2
L How many ISO Standards are there and time allowed for Closing NCs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S How many mandays are required for QMS audit? Internal Auditing 5
Ajit Basrur FDA - "We Moved Forward on Many Fronts This Year" - Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
F AS9100 - How many times can the same auditor audit your system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1