How many gauges in a Go/No Go Gauge?

imwilliam

Involved In Discussions
Hello Everyone,

So I'm thinking about one of those handles that holds a "go" pin and a "no go" gauge pin. Is this really two gauges or just one? Should it be entered in a gauge log as one or two?

It would be convenient to stick a gauge number on the handle and to count it as one, but I'm wondering if this will create any problems down the line. So for instance, what if I replace either or both of the pin gauges? Does the "gauge" number stay the same? What does that do to traceability? I could end up with a gauge number/name in my system that doesn't actually track back to the pins used to check a particular job since the pins could have been replaced, perhaps multiple times.

I'm curious how others handle this.

Thanks,

Billy

imwilliam

Involved In Discussions
Hey Ron,

Well, I 'm hoping I'm over thinking this but It seems to me that traceability is an issue.

I'm wondering if I couldn't use a single gage number but then log the changes in that gauges log. So a note that says on 6-10-2020 .125+ pin replaced in Go/No Go Gauge 123456.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Billy,

I treat my GNG gauges like Ron, and like your suggestion if any repairs or replacements happen to a gauge I simply keep a log in each gauges Excel sheet and date and state what happened. It's simple.

However I'm in the world of automotive so I cannot comment if you require more in whichever field you're in.

imwilliam

Involved In Discussions
Hey Johnny,

That's probably the way to go, you wouldn't want to completely disassociate the two ends of the gauge, but this would fix the traceability issue, at least it would make it less likely to assume a trail that really doesn't exist . . . sort of.

I'm wondering now about a version number for a composite gauge like this.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW, I think that a Go-NOGO gage is one gage with multiple elements...it is used to measure one thing, thus it is one gage. If it were two gages, it could measure two things...but it can't, so it's one gage...
HTH

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
imwilliam, that suggestion (notation of changes in the log) is a pretty good one. gives traceability/history of the specific gauge.

Top Bottom