How much is the name worth? Good vs. Bad Registrars based on Name?

L

Laura M

How much is the name worth?

We've kicked around good and bad registrars, but for the ones we consider "good" how much is a name worth? I've had great experience with a lesser known registrar, but have a client interested not just the cert, but the name. In other words, is an ME degree from MIT "worth more" than, say, University of Buffalo. Does one ISO "diploma" on the wall really carry more weight in the real world - with the exception of the known "bad guys?" I've found that its more in the auditor than the company that makes the difference in how the audit goes, but how does the big world look at the name on the cert?

D

David Mullins

Can't speak for the wrest of the planet, but in Oz the biggest issue is logo, followed by cost, then name.

The leader by far in certification has the logo that even the dumb non-Quality people in the street recognise. (I'm assuming y'all have different logos for different registrars too)

Some companies go for a specific name (e.g. Lloyds) that suggests they have a reliable and honest certification, not some dodgy cheapo cereal box certificate.

As far as Auditors go, even the good ones are slack these days.

The quality of the service provided varies considerable with a certifier from one state to another.

D

db

Excellent question Laura!

Working in and around the auto industry, I see an occasional case where the selected registrar does not meet customer expectations. I tell my clients to ask their customer is there is a registrar they prefer, or one they perfer the client not use. For example, my registrar side of my business (david bradley registrar Extremely Limited - dbrEL) is not accepted by anyone! :biglaugh:

You might want to ask your customer why they don't like your registrar. Perhaps they know something you don't. It might be something as simple as they had a problem with one auditor, and now don't like the registrar. Or perhaps your registrar is one they have never heard of. Ask and find out. You might need to educate your customer on your registrar.

Just some thoughts

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
I can't recall a single time a customer asked who are registrar is. So I assume (ouch!) that the registrar used is not important to our customers.

We use a small registrar and I must say the service has been outstanding. A few of the auditors are difficult to work with, but it takes all kinds!

Carol

A

Al Dyer

Great advice Dave B!

We all know that there a couple of registrars that we would not accept, use, or trust.

Always ask, information is a tool of the succesful.

Al...

A

Aaron Lupo

I think at one time the Registrar name was important in the medical device community, however, it looks as if that is changing. I would aslo so for the most part most people don't care who you are using as long as they don't have a bad reputation. JMHO

L

Laura M

db said:

Excellent question Laura!

You might want to ask your customer why they don't like your registrar. Perhaps they know something you don't. It might be something as simple as they had a problem with one auditor, and now don't like the registrar. Or perhaps your registrar is one they have never heard of. Ask and find out. You might need to educate your customer on your registrar.

Just some thoughts

For clarrification, my client's customers haven't indicated they don't like a particular registrar. My client is the firm trying to decide who to use. The firm is looking for the right "name" on their cert. I'm trying to figure out how big a deal it is before I make a recommendation - which they are looking for me to do now that they have the somewhat similar quotes. I've worked with great auditors from lesser known firms and some pretty lousy auditors from some of the big names.

So back to - other than the 17-10 as referred to in the past, is there any reason to have a "big name" on the cert. I'm not seeing it, but I tend to like value for my money and miss the marketing appeal.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Jim,

If this is the selection process you use for a "relatively unimportant commodity product", I'd hate to be a potential supplier to you of what you considered a mission-critical product. :vfunny: I'd imagine your selection process to be the purchasing equivalent of about 3 consecutive triathlons! Whew!

A

Al Dyer

Jim,

Agreeing with you on this, maybe the tables are turning!!!!:bigwave:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
FWIW, Jim's method is the one I've used each time I've been involved with a new division. Works great, makes them realize that they can't snow you, and puts the selection process back into management's hands. Nobody has ever asked why "I" selected an auditor, they all had a hand in it.:biglaugh: :ca:

Top Bottom