How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL?

William55401

Involved In Discussions
Hello Cove. I have been active on this site responding to threads of interest for several years. However, this is my first time starting a thread. Background, I have med device experience but not so much on the drug side. I need help to understand.....

I am looking at an FDA Warning Letter (from Division of Pharma Q Operations) that lists the issues for a particular organization. Prior to the Warning Letter conclusion, FDA included language to the effect that FDA strongly recommends engaging a consultant qualified per 21 CFR 211.34 to assist. I have read 21 CFR 211.34 and understand the consultants must be qualified to perform the role. My question is, how often does this sort of recommendation, from FDA, occur in the drug world? Is this a normal practice? In my time in devices, I have never observed a recommendation like this in a Warning Letter. Thank you for your help in providing some perspective.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Hi, if you look through FDA Warning Letters, you will see this a lot for Pharmaceutical companies , to the point when I am surprised when I don't see it. However I don't know the rationale for when it is or isn't added; or why only pharma and not devices. Interestingly, the wording also changes between warning letters.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How often does the FDA inspect organisations outside of the USA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
Ashland78 IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 - How often do we have to audit entire IATF Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R OSHA - How often an employee needs to be Re-Trained on Safety Methods Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
U Must We Audit Critical Suppliers? How often? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
J How often can AS9102 FAI be invoked? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
A Why Copper Wirebonded Devices often fail at uHAST (130C, 85%RH, 96hrs) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
N Is there a standard which states how often instruments should be calibrated? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 12
B How often do you clean your ESD mat? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Guidance on how often company SOPs need to be reviewed per FDA Regulations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J What are the most often asked questions in an interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
K Food safety auditors are often paid by the firms they audit Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Change them often Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
F Medical Device Clinical Evaluations - How often are Clinical Evaluations required? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Supplier Audits - How often do you need to Audit your Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
Marc A Measure of Trade not often talked about - Cargo Ships Treading Water World News 1
S Internal Auditor Training - How often should an internal auditor be trained? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
K Gage R&R Frequency - How often to perform the GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
L How often should the contract review be done? TS 16949 Contract Review Process 2
W Gage R&R study frequency - How often should a Gage R&R be performed? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
ScottK Industry Snobs - do you run into this very often? (a rant) Career and Occupation Discussions 10
P How often should CMM attribute gages be 3rd party calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S How often do you audit your suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 19
T Process Capability Data (TS16949 8.2.3.1) - How often should it be reviewed? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
P How often do you have to repeat a Gage R&R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 27
A "Impossible" Is Often The "Untried" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
C How often will I update the quality records list? We have about 189 quality records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
H How often is Attribute Gage R&R required to be performed? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
J How long (how often) do you check your SPC chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A NO2 Output - 4.5.1. How often to measure? Who defines an 'appropriate' period? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
J How often should we have Assessment / Surveillance Visits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
A 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - When is a full layout required and how often? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
N How often do objectives and Q-Policy change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A When or how often should we update SPC (UCL and LCL) Control Limits? Every month? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M How often should Lead Auditors take a refresher course? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Sean Kelley How often for micrometer calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
T Management Review of the QMS (Quality Management System) - How often (Frequency) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 90
M Some people here at the Cove are often brutally honest - Dual/Secret Identities? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 43
J How & how often to perform verification of Test Software of Automatic Test Equipment? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D On-going capability - Can we decide for ourselves how often to measure cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7