How often for micrometer calibration?

I am looking for some guidance on how often micrometers should be calibrated. We do our own internal calibrations. We have recently added a new production facility (making stainless rod) and have new types of micrometers. We need to determine how often to do this. I was told our old system was based on manufacturer recommendations (1 month).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
We've used every kind from cheapo Chineese mics to B&S and Mitutoyos. All of them have been fine at 3 month cal intervals in very heavy use (3 shifts), 6 months in moderate-to-heavy use. The only caveat is that this assumes the operator (thru training) is keeping them relatively clean and gunk-free and regularly zero's them out (at least a few times daily) to verify things are working as expected and the faces did not get gunk on them.

J

Jimmy Olson

I would agree that 3 or 6 months would be fine. Every month seems a bit excessive. You may want to start them out at every 3 months and see how they do. If you notice that they are constantly having problems then you may want to change it to monthly. On the other hand if you notice that they are staying in good condition then you can bump the cycle out to 6 months.

It basically comes down to whatever you feel comfortable with.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sean,

We use to do ours monthly....in fact, everything was done monthly. Last year I sat down with the records and reviewed the data....and guess what....we were in massive overkill!!! I increased our frequency to 3 months. In about 6 months I will look at it again and probably increase some to 6 months.

I recomend you review your past history and adjust frequencies if warranted.

CarolX

CarolX said:
I recomend you review your past history and adjust frequencies if warranted.

CarolX
Aye, there's the rub. It all depends on how they are used, so this is absolutley correct.
If you have no past history you just start off with a massive safety margin and then crank it down when you know that you can safely do so.

/Claes

G

Grizz1345

I have been handling calibrations here for 5 years. I use a one year cycle for most tools. Very few tools have fallen out of cal in this time span. I do calibrate thread gages on a 6 month cycle. Some areas I have the cycle down to 3 months for thread gages. I am regularly auditted and have had no problems yet. I was not aware that the manufacturer's cycle time was one month. This seems a little bit of overkill.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Old question

Here is an old question for which I haven't yet got a satisfactory answer:

Is it possible/acceptable to use the Stability Test control charts in MSA to determine when a gage should be sent for calibration? Condition-based calibration instead of time-based.

Thanks.

What I do at my facility is to review all our out of tolerance instruments and use the Interval Calculator to determine if I need to reduce the cycle time. I also then use Interval Calculator to determine if any instruments I can increase in cycle time. You would be surprised at how many instruments you calibrate during a year that are never found out of tolerance.

All our Mitutoyo Digimatic Micrometers are at the 14 month interval currently. We started with intervals of 6 to 9 months and have gradually increased it over the years. For example, in June when I reviews our instruments, we performed 97 calibrations on these Mitutoyo Digimatic Micrometers and did not find a single one out of tolerance. Our interval in June 2003 was 12 months, but we have increased it to 14 months.

For those intrested, here is were you can download the free Interval Calculator:
http://www.isgmax.com/freeware_l.htm

E

energy

I little detour?

Sean Kelley said:
I am looking for some guidance on how often micrometers should be calibrated. We do our own internal calibrations. We have recently added a new production facility (making stainless rod) and have new types of micrometers. We need to determine how often to do this. I was told our old system was based on manufacturer recommendations (1 month).
While this thread deals with frequency for calibrating Micrometers, I'm curious about an old method used to check the flats on the Mic. In addition to using Jo-Blocks, we had to use calibrated pin gauges in three positions across the flats. To check for wear. Still done that way? :vfunny: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Ashland78 IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 - How often do we have to audit entire IATF Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R OSHA - How often an employee needs to be Re-Trained on Safety Methods Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
U Must We Audit Critical Suppliers? How often? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
J How often can AS9102 FAI be invoked? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
A Why Copper Wirebonded Devices often fail at uHAST (130C, 85%RH, 96hrs) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
N Is there a standard which states how often instruments should be calibrated? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 12
B How often do you clean your ESD mat? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Guidance on how often company SOPs need to be reviewed per FDA Regulations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J What are the most often asked questions in an interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
K Food safety auditors are often paid by the firms they audit Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Change them often Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
F Medical Device Clinical Evaluations - How often are Clinical Evaluations required? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Supplier Audits - How often do you need to Audit your Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
Marc A Measure of Trade not often talked about - Cargo Ships Treading Water World News 1
S Internal Auditor Training - How often should an internal auditor be trained? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
K Gage R&R Frequency - How often to perform the GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
L How often should the contract review be done? TS 16949 Contract Review Process 2
W Gage R&R study frequency - How often should a Gage R&R be performed? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
ScottK Industry Snobs - do you run into this very often? (a rant) Career and Occupation Discussions 10
S How often does the FDA inspect organisations outside of the USA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
P How often should CMM attribute gages be 3rd party calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S How often do you audit your suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 19
T Process Capability Data (TS16949 8.2.3.1) - How often should it be reviewed? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
P How often do you have to repeat a Gage R&R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 27
A "Impossible" Is Often The "Untried" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
C How often will I update the quality records list? We have about 189 quality records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
H How often is Attribute Gage R&R required to be performed? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
J How long (how often) do you check your SPC chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A NO2 Output - 4.5.1. How often to measure? Who defines an 'appropriate' period? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
J How often should we have Assessment / Surveillance Visits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
A 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - When is a full layout required and how often? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
N How often do objectives and Q-Policy change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A When or how often should we update SPC (UCL and LCL) Control Limits? Every month? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M How often should Lead Auditors take a refresher course? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Management Review of the QMS (Quality Management System) - How often (Frequency) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 90
M Some people here at the Cove are often brutally honest - Dual/Secret Identities? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 43
J How & how often to perform verification of Test Software of Automatic Test Equipment? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D On-going capability - Can we decide for ourselves how often to measure cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Micrometer anvil chipped General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Procedure Creation specifically for dimensional (caliper, micrometer, dti) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
W Standard for Micrometer Anvil Flatness Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G Caliper or Micrometer's Dimensional Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Manual Procedure with Uncertainty Budgeting for either a Caliper or Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Uncertainty Budget for a Micrometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Laser Micrometer Suggestion (if any) for diameters that are +/-.0001 inch General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1