How often will I update the quality records list? We have about 189 quality records

C

cokyat

Help... we have about 189 quality records including forms and controlled tags and I really have a very difficult time in updating them... can anyone provide me a suggestion on how to organize the documents well and update the list religiously? Any techniques? :thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Whoa!!!

Why are you updating ANY of these documents?
What is the process for creation and approval of a new version of an existing document?
You are probably confusing
  • "general documents" (plans or instructions)
  • forms (blank documents on which you enter data from an activity)
  • records (documents which contain data from an activity)
General documents and forms may be updated (revised) from time to time as circumstances change. Organizations should have a procedure to periodically review documents to see if they need to be modified, or replaced. Keeping track of these changes to assure only the most recent, valid version is used is called Configuration Management. There are lots of resources on conducting Configuration Management.

Records are the history of an activity (inspection, maintenance, shipment, complaints, etc.) and are required to be maintained UNCHANGED for a period of time to be determined by government regulation, customer contract, or organization whim (depending on which takes precedence.) Records can be paper or electronic. A FORM is only a convenient template for entering the data to make a record. A FORM can be paper or an electronic screen on a computer.

If you have a FORM which has data added to it as more activity takes place (running tally of machine maintenance?), the FORM is updated with new data, but the record (already entered data) in never changed or "updated" - new data added creates a new record.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
189 records is certainly a lot...you know, I've never counted how many we have at my company...well, that can be saved for a rainy day. :)

If the list is truly changing that much - items like record location, disposition methds, etc. - I see two possible options....
  1. Train your document authors to update the records list. This is what I have done. When they realize that a change to the process will result in a change to the record (for whatever reason), the document author is responsible for ensuring that the list of quality records is updated. Easier on me...and they learn to take ownership of their own material and processes. ...OR...
    [*]Set a realistic review period. As part of your record control process, you could indicate "The list of quality records will be reviewed by XXX, not less than twice a year to ensure that the information contained in the list is current and valid. Any discprepancies will be discussed with the holder of the quality record prior to the list being modified." Of course, you will then need to figure out how to demonstrate that you are reviewing the list at the frequency you select.

M

M Greenaway

I would suggest you rationalise what you actually consider to be a 'quality record' - 189 seems an awful lot. ISO9001 mandates some areas where quality records are a must, the rest is really up to you.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
M Greenaway said:
I would suggest you rationalise what you actually consider to be a 'quality record' - 189 seems an awful lot. ISO9001 mandates some areas where quality records are a must, the rest is really up to you.
You're right in that the standard indicates where records are a must, but some companies prefer having a system that goes beyond the requirements of ISO 9001. Unfortunately, they attempt to pursue this before having an adequate grasp on how to address the minimum requirements....not the most effective approach to take.

I'm a big advocate of Business Management Systems....not just Quality Management Systems. However, I can fully appreciate the need to meet the requirements first before expanding the system.

There is also the question of the format of the records list. Placing it in a normal procedure is not a good idea imo. That ensures that you will have a perpetually obsolete procedure to deal with. One of many much easier ways is to keep the list as a separate database and refer to it in the procedure.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A When or how often should we update SPC (UCL and LCL) Control Limits? Every month? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Ashland78 IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 - How often do we have to audit entire IATF Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R OSHA - How often an employee needs to be Re-Trained on Safety Methods Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
U Must We Audit Critical Suppliers? How often? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
J How often can AS9102 FAI be invoked? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
A Why Copper Wirebonded Devices often fail at uHAST (130C, 85%RH, 96hrs) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
N Is there a standard which states how often instruments should be calibrated? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 12
B How often do you clean your ESD mat? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Guidance on how often company SOPs need to be reviewed per FDA Regulations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J What are the most often asked questions in an interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
K Food safety auditors are often paid by the firms they audit Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Change them often Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
F Medical Device Clinical Evaluations - How often are Clinical Evaluations required? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Supplier Audits - How often do you need to Audit your Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
Marc A Measure of Trade not often talked about - Cargo Ships Treading Water World News 1
S Internal Auditor Training - How often should an internal auditor be trained? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
K Gage R&R Frequency - How often to perform the GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
L How often should the contract review be done? TS 16949 Contract Review Process 2
W Gage R&R study frequency - How often should a Gage R&R be performed? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
ScottK Industry Snobs - do you run into this very often? (a rant) Career and Occupation Discussions 10
S How often does the FDA inspect organisations outside of the USA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
P How often should CMM attribute gages be 3rd party calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S How often do you audit your suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 19
T Process Capability Data (TS16949 8.2.3.1) - How often should it be reviewed? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
P How often do you have to repeat a Gage R&R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 27
A "Impossible" Is Often The "Untried" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
H How often is Attribute Gage R&R required to be performed? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
J How long (how often) do you check your SPC chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A NO2 Output - 4.5.1. How often to measure? Who defines an 'appropriate' period? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
J How often should we have Assessment / Surveillance Visits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
A 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - When is a full layout required and how often? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
N How often do objectives and Q-Policy change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M How often should Lead Auditors take a refresher course? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S How often for micrometer calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
T Management Review of the QMS (Quality Management System) - How often (Frequency) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 90
M Some people here at the Cove are often brutally honest - Dual/Secret Identities? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 43
J How & how often to perform verification of Test Software of Automatic Test Equipment? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D On-going capability - Can we decide for ourselves how often to measure cpk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Outsourcing Mfg. How to Update Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
H Update to UK MDR 2002 No. 618 UK Medical Device Regulations 2
A Update of Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Product Update and executing only affected System Tests, leaving out unaffected ones IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Dan Pare Ford CSR Update (FMEA's) - January 2022 FMEA and Control Plans 24
I Work Instruction Update- IATF Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L MedTech Europe IVDR Update EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Significant subcontractor update, still under MDD Certification, possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A TGA - Annual Report or Periodic Safety Update Report? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P Update on NBOG 2014-3 to address MDR/IVDR, or any plan to do that? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 6