How raise en ECO starting from a NC - ECO after NCR?

Q

QAMTY

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused as to how raise an ECO starting from a NC found.

This is my case, in a workshop. In the workshop, manufacturing equipment (vessel, heaters).
While welding some parts, we found that one plate was very thin (1/16") and was designed to be welded to other plate 1/2", at
first sight, was an engineering error and the related drawings must be changed.

What I do first, is: to raise a NCR (nonconformance report) in such NCR, in the upper half page is detailed the NC and in the bottom half of the page is detailed the correction, also if this NC was not significant or didn't spend time, money, OK it is closed, but if is the opposite, in the same NCR form is asked a CAR.

Now that I'm starting to know about ECO's process. In the NCR, will be raised the ECO to change the drawing.

But my main question is:
What is useful and practical:
To raise the ECO alone?
Or always to raise first a NCR, from here it would derive an ECO, a CAR, a PAR..

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi,

I'm a little bit confused as to how raise an ECO starting from a NC found.

This is my case, in a workshop. In the workshop, manufacturing equipment (vessel, heaters).
While welding some parts, we found that one plate was very thin (1/16") and was designed to be welded to other plate 1/2", at
first sight, was an engineering error and the related drawings must be changed.

What I do first, is: to raise a NCR (nonconformance report) in such NCR, in the upper half page is detailed the NC and in the bottom half of the page is detailed the correction, also if this NC was not significant or didn't spend time, money, OK it is closed, but if is the opposite, in the same NCR form is asked a CAR.

Now that I'm starting to know about ECO's process. In the NCR, will be raised the ECO to change the drawing.

But my main question is:
What is useful and practical:
To raise the ECO alone?
Or always to raise first a NCR, from here it would derive an ECO, a CAR, a PAR..

Thanks for your help.
If I understand this correctly, your first step would be to generate a NCR. The NCR should be discussed with the appropriate personnel. Upon conclusion that this is indeed an engineering error, a CAR could be issued requiring the identification of the engineering error. Subsequently, an ECO could be generated to change the drawing and associated documents.

Have you discussed this with your Engineering and Quality Colleagues?

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

J

JaneB

If I understand this correctly, your first step would be to generate a NCR. The NCR should be discussed with the appropriate personnel. Upon conclusion that this is indeed an engineering error, a CAR could be issued requiring the identification of the engineering error. Subsequently, an ECO could be generated to change the drawing and associated documents.

Have you discussed this with your Engineering and Quality Colleagues?

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.
Err... now I'm confused. If you already have an NCR, why should one need to also issue a CAR?? Seems like double-handling/extra paperwork to me. (But then, perhaps I'm making different assumptions )

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Err... now I'm confused. If you already have an NCR, why should one need to also issue a CAR?? Seems like double-handling/extra paperwork to me. (But then, perhaps I'm making different assumptions )
In some organizations, a NCR is separate from a CAR. The NCR will be completed, reviewed and then decided if a CAR is warranted. Some nonconformities may not need a CAR with a full blast Root Cause Analysis.

We'll let the OP respond. ;)

Stijloor.

J

JaneB

In some organizations, a NCR is separate from a CAR. The NCR will be completed, reviewed and then decided if a CAR is warranted. Some nonconformities may not need a CAR with a full blast Root Cause Analysis.

We'll let the OP respond. ;)

Stijloor.
Ph, yes of course. I'm with you. Not thinking clearly (renovations = builder banging about = makes for lack of concentration)

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Stijloor

Well really I´m heading the Quality area
and normally Engineering trust on me.
really we are a very little company.

But dont´you agree with me that sometimes
an NCR dies on a correction, not necessarily
always we have to raise a CAR?

Thanks

Q

QAMTY

Stijloor

Your are right

I manage things in this way
Whenever an NC is present, always we raise an NCR, on it in the half page
we explain in detail the NC and in the rest of the page, the responsible, defines the solution (remedial) then according the severity, we decide if this NCR is promoted to a CAR or here is closed.

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
qualprod Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
Q Practical Way to raise NCR's in an Assembly Workshop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N Any comment, if a supplier raise an NCR to the Client? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
R Can a external auditor raise a finding that is already identified in Internal Audit ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Performance Evaluation - Time for a Raise? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
4 ISO 14001 videos to raise awareness ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
N I Want A Raise! (joke) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
Q Waiting for Audits to raise Nonconformity Reports? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Encouraging Teams to raise Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
O Who can raise a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
Stijloor Goldman Posts Profit and Will Raise $5 Billion World News 2
M Thermocouples prices raise General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Internal Audit Findings - Do I need to raise NC for amendments/revisions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S How one can raise increment request to TOP management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K Asking for a Raise and Justifying a Raise Career and Occupation Discussions 30
R NCR & CAR - How to use & where to raise Nonconformance and Corrective Action 23
Marc US Airlines raise base fares - April 2006 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 1
M Record Falsification - What clause to raise a non-conformity? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 20
A Employee Involvement - Employees shall have the authority to raise nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P ECO Disposition - Deviation Needed for Use As Is? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Parts included/not included in ECO/ECN Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ECR to ECO to ECN Procedure and numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M ECO (Engineering Change Order) Record Filing Question Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
N Engineering Changes (ECR, ECO, ECN) and how they should be Structured Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T Need help developing an ECO (Engineering Change order) procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Documents not controlled by the ECO (Engineering Change Order) process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Introducing a new Product Variant - ECO Process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D How to process Customer ECO's (Engineering Change Orders) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J ECO (Engineering Change Order) Control for Unreleased Products Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q Filtering ECR/ECO by quality management? Managing Engineering Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q How to close the circle QMS and ECO (Engineering Change Order)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Document Control ECO (Engineering Change Order) or QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Q Are ECO's closed after they are shown to be Effective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Developing an Access ECO Tracking Database - Need help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Official Clarification of ECO, PDR, PCR Acronym Definitions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) Risk Management Criteria and QA Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
M ECO (Engineering Change Order) Tracking and Status Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M How NCR CAR and ECO Interact - Customer Rejection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M CAR vs ECO/ECN - How do I merge CAR with ECO or ECR/ECN procedure seemlessly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T ECO (Engineering Change Order) Implementation checklist/work instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V How to measure ECO (Engineering Change Order) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Differences between ISO 14001 and EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Looking for an ECO/ECN logging software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3