How raise en ECO starting from a NC - ECO after NCR?

Q

QAMTY

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused as to how raise an ECO starting from a NC found.

This is my case, in a workshop. In the workshop, manufacturing equipment (vessel, heaters).
While welding some parts, we found that one plate was very thin (1/16") and was designed to be welded to other plate 1/2", at
first sight, was an engineering error and the related drawings must be changed.

What I do first, is: to raise a NCR (nonconformance report) in such NCR, in the upper half page is detailed the NC and in the bottom half of the page is detailed the correction, also if this NC was not significant or didn't spend time, money, OK it is closed, but if is the opposite, in the same NCR form is asked a CAR.

Now that I'm starting to know about ECO's process. In the NCR, will be raised the ECO to change the drawing.

But my main question is:
What is useful and practical:
To raise the ECO alone?
Or always to raise first a NCR, from here it would derive an ECO, a CAR, a PAR..

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi,

I'm a little bit confused as to how raise an ECO starting from a NC found.

This is my case, in a workshop. In the workshop, manufacturing equipment (vessel, heaters).
While welding some parts, we found that one plate was very thin (1/16") and was designed to be welded to other plate 1/2", at
first sight, was an engineering error and the related drawings must be changed.

What I do first, is: to raise a NCR (nonconformance report) in such NCR, in the upper half page is detailed the NC and in the bottom half of the page is detailed the correction, also if this NC was not significant or didn't spend time, money, OK it is closed, but if is the opposite, in the same NCR form is asked a CAR.

Now that I'm starting to know about ECO's process. In the NCR, will be raised the ECO to change the drawing.

But my main question is:
What is useful and practical:
To raise the ECO alone?
Or always to raise first a NCR, from here it would derive an ECO, a CAR, a PAR..

Thanks for your help.

If I understand this correctly, your first step would be to generate a NCR. The NCR should be discussed with the appropriate personnel. Upon conclusion that this is indeed an engineering error, a CAR could be issued requiring the identification of the engineering error. Subsequently, an ECO could be generated to change the drawing and associated documents.

Have you discussed this with your Engineering and Quality Colleagues?

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

J

JaneB

If I understand this correctly, your first step would be to generate a NCR. The NCR should be discussed with the appropriate personnel. Upon conclusion that this is indeed an engineering error, a CAR could be issued requiring the identification of the engineering error. Subsequently, an ECO could be generated to change the drawing and associated documents.

Have you discussed this with your Engineering and Quality Colleagues?

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.
Err... now I'm confused. If you already have an NCR, why should one need to also issue a CAR?? Seems like double-handling/extra paperwork to me. (But then, perhaps I'm making different assumptions )

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Err... now I'm confused. If you already have an NCR, why should one need to also issue a CAR?? Seems like double-handling/extra paperwork to me. (But then, perhaps I'm making different assumptions )

In some organizations, a NCR is separate from a CAR. The NCR will be completed, reviewed and then decided if a CAR is warranted. Some nonconformities may not need a CAR with a full blast Root Cause Analysis.

We'll let the OP respond. ;)

Stijloor.

J

JaneB

In some organizations, a NCR is separate from a CAR. The NCR will be completed, reviewed and then decided if a CAR is warranted. Some nonconformities may not need a CAR with a full blast Root Cause Analysis.

We'll let the OP respond. ;)

Stijloor.
Ph, yes of course. I'm with you. Not thinking clearly (renovations = builder banging about = makes for lack of concentration)

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Stijloor

Well really I´m heading the Quality area
and normally Engineering trust on me.
really we are a very little company.

But dont´you agree with me that sometimes
an NCR dies on a correction, not necessarily
always we have to raise a CAR?

Thanks

Q

QAMTY

Stijloor

Your are right

I manage things in this way
Whenever an NC is present, always we raise an NCR, on it in the half page
we explain in detail the NC and in the rest of the page, the responsible, defines the solution (remedial) then according the severity, we decide if this NCR is promoted to a CAR or here is closed.

Thanks

Top Bottom