How Run at Rate should be carried out for assembly line?

I

iamafraid

Hello all,

I am a new comer of this forum and also be interested in APQP and PPAP. I would like to know, formally, how run at rate should be run in a product assembly line? (I am not asking self-monitored Run@rate, but is asking monitoring supplier's Run@Rate!!!)

1. Should the capacity be measured for EACH assembly process, or simply the final process?

2. In case there are 2 production lines, 5 PNs have to be produced, and I need to know the capacity of each PN and each production line, how run at rate should be carried out?

3. How long should we take for run at rate? 1 hour or 1 day?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello all,

I am a new comer of this forum and also be interested in APQP and PPAP. I would like to know, formally, how run at rate should be run in a product assembly line?

1. Should the capacity be measured for EACH assembly process, or simply the final process?

2. In case there are 2 production lines, 5 PNs have to be produced, and I need to know the capacity of each PN and each production line, how run at rate should be carried out?

Welcome to The Cove Forums!! :bigwave: :bigwave:

An advanced search here at The Forums yielded this information: "Run at Rate." A good place to start.

Stijloor.

R

Rand T

Is it a complete synchronized process?; that is to say does the process flow continuously without interuptions from start to finish? If, so the final assembly run at rate will work. If there are batches produced in sub processes, each one will need to be done seperately. Otherwise you don't know which operation is the bottleneck.

You need to calculate the amount of time that each P/N will be run and calculate the run at rate based on the available time for that P/N. For example if the shift is 10 hours and each part runs an equal amount of time. you only have 2 hrs. available each shift for that P/N. Don't forget to account for any lost time for changeovers from one part to another. Regarding the 2 lines, I think you can just calculate the total output for the lines combined.

I would do it over an 8 hour shift. Don't forget to allow for the amount of time for planned maintenance/ lunches & breaks/shift changes. If it is obvious that you are going to easily beat your target, you can shorten up the length of time.

Run at Rates can get complicated if the parts are produced using a production line that also produces other parts. In that case you need to determine how much of the available time is eaten up by other parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

iamafraid

Is it a complete synchronized process?; that is to say does the process flow continuously without interuptions from start to finish? If, so the final assembly run at rate will work. If there are batches produced in sub processes, each one will need to be done seperately. Otherwise you don't know which operation is the bottleneck.

You need to calculate the amount of time that each P/N will be run and calculate the run at rate based on the available time for that P/N. For example if the shift is 10 hours and each part runs an equal amount of time. you only have 2 hrs. available each shift for that P/N. Don't forget to account for any lost time for changeovers from one part to another. Regarding the 2 lines, I think you can just calculate the total output for the lines combined.

I would do it over an 8 hour shift. Don't forget to allow for the amount of time for planned maintenance/ lunches & breaks/shift changes. If it is obvious that you are going to easily beat your target, you can shorten up the length of time.

Run at Rates can get complicated if the parts are produced using a production line that also produces other parts. In that case you need to determine how much of the available time is eaten up by other parts.

For the highlighted (red colored) sentence, do you mean that if the product assembly line is sub-divided into 3 parts, we need to perform Run at rate on the final process of each part?

R

Rand T

If I understand you correctly.

If the part is run through a sub process and parts are accumulated as work in process, and then after some time, those parts are then moved to the next stage of the process, then you need to calculate each portion of the line seperately. Otherwise you have no idea which one of the sub processes is the constaint or bottleneck.

For example, I work in a plant that does Titanium forgings

1) billets are cut from bar stock and placed in a container for further processing later
2) the next day or so, the forgings are then forged in the first hit
3) the next day after that they are forged in the 2nd hit
4) Flash is removed
5) the parts get tested 100 % the 4th day for any defects
6) at the end of the week the whole order is complete

Each of those is a distinct seperate process, so the run at rate would need to be done for each individual operation. Maybe the 1st forging operation takes the longest, and therefore is the constraint. You don't really know until you look at them seperately.

Compare that to a dedicated line where the part is completed from start to finish with no interruptions. Enters the line as raw material and exits the line as a finished part ready to ship.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello all,

I am a new comer of this forum and also be interested in APQP and PPAP. I would like to know, formally, how run at rate should be run in a product assembly line? (I am not asking self-monitored Run@rate, but is asking monitoring supplier's Run@Rate!!!)

This doesn't need to be complicated. The purpose of Run at Rate is to determine whether a manufacturing process (including sub-processes) is capable of producing acceptable product at the quoted rate. If the supplier claims to be able to produce 1000 pieces in 8 hours, the task is to verify that claim, and see how many conforming and nonconforming parts have been produced in 8 hours and whether or not the process documentation (including PPAP documents) reflect the actual state of the process and process capability.

The results of Run at Rate will often not reflect long-term operation of the process, and the results should not be considered proof of anything--just evidence that the supplier might be able to sustain the process at the quoted rate. In general, it should be considered an exercise to see the process in action and get a better understanding of how a supplier does things, and whether or not the PPAP accurately reflects what the supplier is doing.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
There are some customer-specific requirements that range from simply filling out the rate on the warrant to a full blown capacity analysis verification, on customer forms, that is "complicated". So, be sure to refer to their requirements - if any - to avoid having to redo the Run @ Rate and a rejected PPAP.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
There are some customer-specific requirements that range from simply filling out the rate on the warrant to a full blown capacity analysis verification, on customer forms, that is "complicated". So, be sure to refer to their requirements - if any - to avoid having to redo the Run @ Rate and a rejected PPAP.
You're right; the thing is often more complicated than it needs to be, and the higher up in the supply chain you get, the more over-complication you're likely to see. That's why my advice to the OP was to keep it simple because he was asking about how he should apply it to his suppliers.

ETA: Also, the general requirement is for Run at Rate to take place after PPAP approval, so the goal is to verify the rate given on the warrant, and not to determine what the rate given on the warrant should be.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
That's why my advice to the OP was to keep it simple because he was asking about how he should apply it to his suppliers.

Good point - especially if none of the customers specifies a need for information on your supplier's capabilites.

I

iamafraid

Just my experience:
I remembered the customer needs to carry run@rate in our site, an there are 2 production lines to produce 3 PNs.

The customer designed the test as follows:
1. For the first 4 hrs, Line A produces product A, Line B produces product B
2. For the next 4 hrs, Line A produces product B, Line B produces product A
3. Finally, after lunch break, Line A and Line B produce product C, which is the most complicated part among all PNs.

How run at rate could be performed when PNs quantity is increased?

Top Bottom