SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

How Specific in an ISO 13485:2016 Scope for a Contract Manufacturer

Hi,

Long time lurker.

The issue at hand is a contract manufacturer used by my organization currently makes the "device" in a drug-device combo product. They have now come to us and stated they would like to expand activities to include the "drug" part as well. This would include, among other things, the creation of the drug-excipient solution, application to the device, pre-sterile testing and primary packaging. This is not a small amount of effort.

I have told them they would need to revise their current ISO 13485:2016 cert scope to include the drug application part (beyond the existing "manufacture of <X TYPE> of medical devices" yadda yadda). Naturally, they push back and say that would be too much work (as if the rest of the process of transferring a drug application technology *isn't* work?).

Our notified body (not the CM's) is notably strict on these topics, and will most definitely pay them a visit as part of the critical supplier audit. I see a deviation coming when their ISO scope does not include this incredibly high-risk activity.

They respond that their NB (a notably soft one) has advised them it's not necessary.

My question to the minds here: How specific would you get in the scope of activities here, especially in a high-risk situation?

p.s. the more I write this out, the more clear it seems to me, but maybe that's my problem?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Hi,
I have told them they would need to revise their current ISO 13485:2016 cert scope to include the drug application part (beyond the existing "manufacture of <X TYPE> of medical devices" yadda yadda). Naturally, they push back and say that would be too much work (as if the rest of the process of transferring a drug application technology *isn't* work?).
Good day @MJ_Connors , and congrats on stepping out of the shadows.

May I inquire as to what their current scope states? (if you feel uncomfortable sharing, simply paraphrase it).

Thanks in advance.

Be well.

Good day @MJ_Connors , and congrats on stepping out of the shadows.

May I inquire as to what their current scope states? (if you feel uncomfortable sharing, simply paraphrase it).

Thanks in advance.

Be well.
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review.

It's a fairly generic along the lines of:

"...contract manufacturing activities of minimally invasive medical devices and components"

Looking at this, they don't even have the D-D combo listed either. If that was in the scope, that could be considered to include the application process. Yeah, the more I look, the less confident I feel.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
Who currently manufactures the drug part? Another contract manufacturer? If there is no benefit to your organization to make the change, that is an easy no.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
My question to the minds here: How specific would you get in the scope of activities here, especially in a high-risk situation?
Well, the "mandatory" document governing this is the IAF MD9

Screenshot 2021-02-09 193907.jpg
But, the reality is: Most many some certification bodies don't take their responsibilities seriously and slap generic scope statements in their certificates and their lead auditors are derelict in their duties of ensuring the scope of certification reflects the nature of the system being certified.

You are the customer of the contract manufacturer, so, act as one and DEMAND what you mentioned. If the crap hits the fan, it is your organization's name and brand associated with the risks in the marketplace. Risk. Think.

Good luck.

Who currently manufactures the drug part? Another contract manufacturer? If there is no benefit to your organization to make the change, that is an easy no.
Hi,

Sorry, I'm not fully clear on what you mean by "manufacture the drug part".

The drug active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) is manufactured by a completely unrelated 3rd party. No problems there.

The CM would have to store the API, mix the solution of drug and excipient, apply it to the device and then perform non-sterile product testing (including testing of aspects of the drug coating such as purity as well as the consistency of the coating process) prior to primary packaging. Each part of the process has significant inherent risks involved.

Contingent in these are numerous supporting requirements which must be met, such as suitable environmental requirements for storage (some APIs require long-term storage in -80 deg C refrigeration), contamination controls, employee competency etc. This isn't just snapping a new module in place; there is considerable direct and indirect regulatory requirements that must be considered (in addition to local laws regarding handling, storing, dispensing and disposing of controlled APIs).

As far as the "benefit" to my organization, a NB non-conformity against the certification scope means no manufacturing, even if it is an administrative issue. That entails the CM needing to be recertified under thei NB for the new scope before supplying us the revised certs for resubmission to our NB for approval. So benefit of forcing this before, as opposed to after a subcontractor audit, could mean avoiding months of delays.

But, the reality is: Most many some certification bodies don't take their responsibilities seriously and slap generic scope statements in their certificates and their lead auditors are derelict in their duties of ensuring the scope of certification reflects the nature of the system being certified.

You are the customer of the contract manufacturer, so, act as one and DEMAND what you mentioned. If the crap hits the fan, it is your organization's name and brand associated with the risks in the marketplace. Risk. Think.

Good luck.
This is the current state of things.

You've hit the nail on the head about the (in)difference in application of many ISO principles by different NBs, especially where I am located. The tendency here with *local* NB representatives/auditors is towards "eh, good enough", which I do not subscribe to (as opposed to my NB's actual EU-based reviewers traveling to audit the facilities), hence my preference for working with a more stringent NB. In my experience, this pays *huge* dividends down the road when filing vigilance reports and addressing local regulators questions, and I would imagine likewise with the upcoming PSURs requirements under MDR.

Another consideration is that our DE Certs will eventually list the product as a D-D combo, but nowhere in the chain of critical supplier certs in the Technical Information File would there be a corresponding QMS certificate with a scope of activities listing a "Manufacturer of drug-device combination products". It remains how well that would be accepted by the various EU national ministries :-/ I'm not hopeful that they'd be understanding.

Yeah, it's looking more like this is going to be an issue I will need to force, but it will be a contentious issue for more political reasons.

Thanks.

To clarify my question, I was wondering what the benefit is to switch API manufacturing from your "completely unrelated 3rd party" to this other contract manufacturer.
Hi, unfortunately that's not an option at all.

The API is a drug. It's made by a pharma company whose business is making drugs. In my case, the contract manufacturer is (very) experienced in building minimally invasive devices, but knows nothing of pharma. (I know, risks ahead!)

To use an (maybe awkward) example, Apple sells phones. They don't make them, their contract manufacturer Foxconn does. Apple wants its phones to be compatible with Facebook, since Apple's customers tell them that they like to use Facebook. From what I understand your question to be, and translating it into this example, you're asking if I can have Foxconn take over the core programming of the Facebook app themselves to make it compatible with Apple phones, and essentially cutting Facebook itself completely out of the process.

It's not in Apple's interest to have Foxconn take responsibility for making what (software) gets loaded onto the phone; just that the phone is capable of being an open platform to accept a wide range of software. Foxconn has their expertise, Facebook has theirs. Apple is happy to leave it that way.

As the "Apple" in that example, that's the position I find myself in. I'm asking my "Foxconn" to declare that their stated activities include the capability to build a product that "Facebook" can be loaded onto (based on the specs which I have given them), even preload Facebook onto the phone and then deliver it to the customer. I'm obviously skipping several steps, but that's how I interpret your question.

If I'm wrong, *please* correct me. Thanks!

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
Your contract manufacturer "would like to expand activities to include the "drug" part as well. This would include, among other things, the creation of the drug-excipient solution, application to the device, pre-sterile testing and primary packaging."

What organization performs "creation of the drug-excipient solution, application to the device, pre-sterile testing and primary packaging"? Is it your organization or another contract manufacturer?

Your contract manufacturer "would like to expand activities to include the "drug" part as well. This would include, among other things, the creation of the drug-excipient solution, application to the device, pre-sterile testing and primary packaging."

What organization performs "creation of the drug-excipient solution, application to the device, pre-sterile testing and primary packaging"? Is it your organization or another contract manufacturer?
Cool.

Short answer: my organization is legal product owner but design and manufacturing are outsourced, so we're not doing any handling of the device up to sterilization. That leaves the application of the coating solution (API+solvent+excipient) to the CM.

The alternate option would be to bring coating application process in-house (we actually have the institutional knowledge and core competencies for manufacturing, testing and analysis to bring this in house, but costs are such that it's more affordable for the CM to do it).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Is ISO 13485 Location Specific? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Are there specific rules regarding ISO 13485 and R&D? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C ISO 13485 - Client Specific Validation and CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
V ISO 13485 - 8.2.1, 8.4, 8.5, and 8.5.2/3 - Specific Procedures Needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Specific ISO requirement to fill in all spaces on a move tag? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Sidney Vianna Sector specific Information Security ISO Management System Standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
E ISO 9001-2008 Purchasing controls ? Issuing POs Without Specific Approvals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Can a specific division of an ISO 9001 company be exempted? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Combining Sector Specific Quality Standards - TS 16949, AS9100 and ISO 9001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Sidney Vianna New Chrysler Specific Requirement Document for TS 16949 and ISO 14001 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
T Required ISO 17025 Traceability - The specific ID/SS number of the test weight ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Specific Requirement for Calibration - ISO 17025 Clause 5.6.2 Interpretations ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
F ISO/TS 16949 for a specific program - Aftermarket Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
B Specific requirement for Internal Auditor training in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
eternal_atlas Identification of ISO 9001 Clause to a specific Non-Conformity General Auditing Discussions 7
Howard Atkins New Ford Motor Company Customer Specific for ISO/TS 16949 Posted on 02/06/2008 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Sidney Vianna Sector Specific Standards based on ISO 9001 as a baseline requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Sidney Vianna Advice from ISO/TC 176 for Sector specific standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S How to align our global ISO 9001 procedures to each specific project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
H Ford Customer-Specific Requirements for use with ISO/TS16949:2002 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
A ISO/TS 16949 European Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
M GM specific requirements ISO/TS 16949 link Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Marc GM's ISO/TS 16949 Customer-Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8
G Does FDA allows remote approvals of quality documentation. Is there any specific guidance on signing any quality records remotely? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J WAIVED ON Q1 - We Don't have to comply with FORDS customer specific requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
O IATF 16949 News Ford Motors Customer Specific Requirements Update - Nov 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Marc Requested new UK specific forum - 20200930 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D Naming of SOP doc's - Specific to Calibrations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
M Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing - What Standard to Use? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Informational Several US FDA draft guidances, including some specific device guidances for the Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
A EU MDR Annex I section 11.3 - Medical Devices labelled as having a specific microbial state EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Specific processes - Construction management field Service Industry Specific Topics 2
L IATF 16949 8.3.3.2 FCA (Fiat Chrysler) Specific Requirements - Examples of AQR and MPFMEA Service Industry Specific Topics 1