How to address an audit of another facility that is not ISO/TS 16949 ?

rvanelli

Involved In Discussions
My company makes an electronic component for Ford in China. It is then shipped to the US to be inspected/reflashed as necessary and then shipped to Ford. The China facility is going through TS certification but the US facility is just ISO 9001. As part of the China certification the registar plans to visit the US facility as well to audit.

Is this typical? If the US facility is not part of the TS registration what could the scope of this audit be?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Re: Question about TS external audit

Yes, this is typical. That facility has to be part of your registration. TS does not give you a choice to decide.

You have to document in your QMS what they do in that facility.

rvanelli

Involved In Discussions

Interesting. I am not up to speed on the TS requirements. Is there a section in the TS standard that mentions this as a requirement? I am at the US facility and TS is not our focus but we certainly want to be prepared.

Thanks again.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I think your best course of action would be to contact the CB and find out (a) what their rationale is and (b) the scope of the audit as it pertains to your facility.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
My company makes an electronic component for Ford in China. It is then shipped to the US to be inspected/reflashed as necessary and then shipped to Ford. The China facility is going through TS certification but the US facility is just ISO 9001. As part of the China certification the registar plans to visit the US facility as well to audit.

Is this typical? If the US facility is not part of the TS registration what could the scope of this audit be?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
From my understanding based upon what you wrote, it is correct that CB will audit it. I think these operations ( inspection/reflashing) and shipping to Ford should be part of mfg process flow. They should have and P-FMEA and Control plan as well. ISO TS should be appplied also to your US SIte as a part of supply chain. Check with CB if US site could be considered as "remote function" as well.
Please, let us updated with further development.

rvanelli

Involved In Discussions
Excellent information as usual. Thanks guys.

We have not been contacted by the certifying body as of yet just by our manufacturing facility in China. I have requested a scope and audit plan but from the responses here I need to also look at what they list and their process and interactions as well as their FMEA and Control Plans and the develop a course of action. The audit is for the end of July and we just found out last week of the requirement.

M

Murphys Law

If this is small part of process for that site, you may be able to get a waiver from Ford acknowledging that that operation is just ISO9001.

M

Murphys Law

If you only service 1 auto customer (1 off )and they waive it, I don't see why the registrar could say anything. If you have other auto customers, then it gets a harder argument as this is now a mainstream business model.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Excellent information as usual. Thanks guys.

We have not been contacted by the certifying body as of yet just by our manufacturing facility in China. I have requested a scope and audit plan but from the responses here I need to also look at what they list and their process and interactions as well as their FMEA and Control Plans and the develop a course of action. The audit is for the end of July and we just found out last week of the requirement.
It could be a tricky question. Please, specify better what US Site does for inspection and reflashing if they are value added operation.
In any case , I think that there is the question of shipping process because yiu said US ship finished good to Ford. My question is: who owns this shipping process? Who controls it? US Site or China Site?
Probably there are some missing step that your organization has not considered in the mfg process flow, because it is intending from incoming ( raw materials used for you product realization) to shippin ( finished good to the customer) through production. I am afraid that your organization did not consider the last portion , where it is also requested FMEA, COntrol Plan and control on the process. Look at par. 1 Scope of ISO TS in part related to ISO TS , out of the box.
Probably support functions you said were not correctly addressed in the relationships of QMS processes of the China mfg site.
Please let us know :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
K Observation - Potential Nonconformity - How to address this Audit Finding? General Auditing Discussions 9
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
C EHS Internal Audit - How to Address Evaluation of Compliance Internal Auditing 18
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Address of Legal Manufacturing Site in ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A How to address Environmental & OHS Opportunities? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
Q Legal Manufacturing Address Change – multiple registrations at same address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Manufacturer address on the label Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
M GDPR - Is anonymizing sufficient to address right to erasure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
K Implant Card - Full Manufacturer's Address - Space issues EU Medical Device Regulations 4
I Importer Address in addition to Manufacturer details on label EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S Medical Device Initial Importer (DII) Requirements - Delivery Address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B Manufacturing Company Address Change - implications for FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Putting AR's name and address on label - Authorized Representative Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S Risk Approach doesn't address External Issues (Auditor's Comment) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
M Medical Device News FDA's Policies and Procedures Should Better Address Postmarket Cybersecurity Risk to Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Marc Email Addresses - Changing your email address Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
B ISO 17025 8.5 Actions to address risks and opportunities ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
TheMightyWife Address Change - Medical Device Packaging Labelling Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M "Minor" Address Change Implications on Product Labeling Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
K Labeling - New company address Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
S How to address and implement OH&S opportunities in ISO 45001:2018? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Right method to address clause 6.1? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q ISO 14001:2015 Clause 6.1: Actions to address Risks & Opportunities ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
J How to address IATF 16949 clause 5.1.1.1 in my Quality Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Clarification in 6.1.2 Note 1 (Options to Address Risks) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Requirements/guidance on what constitutes the Manufacturers "Address" EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M FDA Email Address needed for CECATS 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Actions To Address Risks and Opportunities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
V 21 CFR 820 Compliant way to use Kaizen to address Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R Is PFMEA (Process FMEA) for OEM sufficient to address Risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Change of Medical Device Company Registered Address - Implications Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
R How to address unresolved Medical Device Software Anomalies? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
B Different Label Address Required for EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M How to communicate the change in company address to CFDA ? China Medical Device Regulations 1
C Appropriate ways to address Competency? Generic vs Specific ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Customer Address on ISO 17025 Test Report - Is email address okay? ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
S Cost of business lost / opportunity lost? How to address? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
M ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 - How to address in Software Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Report: Facebook e-mail switch changed address books After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
R Outsourcing of a Semi-Finished Product - Which major things to address in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B ISO 13485 & Change of Address/Location ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
P CMC Decision 3 - Manufacturers Address Content Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Q How would you address a Validation Gap/Escape (Product is in the Field) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2