How to answer ISO9001:2015 audit finding of old revisions of documents being used?

We have a Master Document List, but when people re-save the forms on their desktop or personal computer, we then lose control when the form changes, although notified of the change, they don't always re-save the most up to date revision to their local computer. Here document control is not effective. How do you handle this issue?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

JimS

Involved In Discussions
One source of truth! There can only be one location to released documents, whether it's in a DMS system, SharePoint, even a controlled share folder. But it sounds like you need some good training to change the culture. Users should not be saving controlled documents to their own computer. Ever.

The reality is that you'll probably never eliminate it completely. But if you make the controlled location easy for everyone to access and push out the message that uncontrolled copies can really cause problems, you might minimize it. Get some managers involved. This really is a company culture thing. If it's seen as acceptable and no big deal, then no one will make an effort to find the right revision. If they're printing their own copies, there are various versions of "Uncontrolled When Printed", even with a time stamp and "invalid 30 minutes after printing" that can be in footers to help remind folks.

But it's a culture issue. You have to turn local copies into a bad thing. The Quality Manager should be able to help (unless that's you...?)

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
I have had the same issue working at a paper based company. The end resolution was to create digital "binders" for each area that contained all the forms and documentation that they needed with hyperlinks to the controlled location. They could only access documents from this hub - and were trained NOT to save documents to their desktops. Unfortunately, there is no possible way to make absolutely sure this is being done outside of doing a desktop audit. So the training served as record and those who had repeated offenses for not following the process were written up and dealt with by their management.

It's actually much more difficult to create a controlled document setting than one would think. If there is a way for folks to take shortcuts, they usually will

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Hyperlinks to a master document directory is a possible solution, and fairly easy to implement. You will still, however, have the problem of users saving documents on their desktop because it's 'easier'. You need to (somehow) change the mindset of people, so that they STOP seeing it as being easier, and just see it as being wrong

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
What type of audit?

If important requirements are not fulfilled, and there are no uncomfortable consequences for offenders, the behavior won't change. The question here is not about discipline, per se, because if the door is left open people will continue to pass through it. How you prevent the problem from happening is the question. The hyperlinks idea is okay as far as it goes and should probably be implemented, but it won't prevent.

I gave up on trying to control forms a long time ago, using the simple expedient of controlling the information that must be recorded, and providing a "convenient format" for doing so. Create documented requirements that tell what must be recorded, and control that document.

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
I work for a small manufacturing company and I have a single document on our server that acts as a portal to all things related to our QMS, using hyperlinks to all of our forms, procedures, reports etc. These are password protected to prevent change, and there is a shortcut on every PC (using the same tree icon) so that everyone has access to it.

When I started here 10 years ago it took much effort and badgering to get everyone to use this instead of keeping digital and hard copies locally. Making an example (and plenty of noise) when errors occurred because or using the wrong issue document also helped everyone understand that keeping local copies was a bad practice.

The main reason people kept stuff locally was so it was easy to find, so make whatever you are directing them too just as easy to navigate. We have not had any issues with this in over 8 years, and if you would like me to share my basic (word based) system with you, just PM me.

It's true that you can only do so much. Awareness is key followed by making access to the needed forms, documents, etc as simple as possible. I just started at a med dev start up a few months ago and among my hats is document controller/ QA manager. My first project was to take a very messy, very mismanaged QMS and basically start anew. No one here had much, if any, concept of document control so awareness training was the next big step. Fortunately both because we are very small (only 9 of us!) and because no one had any pre-existing bad habits it seems to have taken root pretty well. But because I can't control everyone (apparently document controller isn't as all-powerful as it sounds :p) only time will tell how lucky I've been.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
qualprod ISO 9001 - 9.3.2 c) 7 is answer for 8.4.1? Performance of external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
B What is your pat answer when a co-worker asks about ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Do I need to answer Audit Observations? General Auditing Discussions 33
S "Answer books" for ISO/TS 16949 Implementation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Major NADCAP Magnetic Inspection Nonconformance - How to answer it? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J What will happen if you can't answer questions of recruiters? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
E Should I refuse to answer personal questions during the interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 59
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It Depends,? Part 2 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It depends,? Part 1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Q How to answer these standard HR Employment Interview Questions Career and Occupation Discussions 8
P If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 44
B Overall Process Capability - Simple question if you know how to answer it! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Management refuses to answer Corrective Action request Nonconformance and Corrective Action 43
Anerol C Need to answer a Car due the CAR answering process and implentation is not workin Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q Is my Cpk calculator answer valid? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Y Functional Testing The only Answer to Quality After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
H How do I answer an audit finding I don?t agree with? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
T Employee Reviews not completed - Audit Finding - Difficult Finding to Answer Internal Auditing 31
L VDA Product Submission Form - Please help a Cove newbie answer a VDA question VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 12
H Countermeasure Answer on Decision Making - Need help Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
B Is Minitab technical support answer 2255 wrong? Using Minitab Software 5
Jim Wynne Microsoft's answer to the iPhone? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 9
Marc Visualizing "Answer People" In Online Discussions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
D How to answer customer?s TQM test paper? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
L Corrective action following a wrong answer of the auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Jim Wynne Jobseekers: Don't take "no" for an answer Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
D Can several trainees share one answer sheet? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J Implement TS16949 Quality System - How to answer Question at Interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
A Example of an Ad Not to Answer Career and Occupation Discussions 22
A Where can I get information to answer queries realted to OHSAS 18001? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
L Audit Nonconformance - Not following Control Plan - How to answer Request for CA? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R In a perfect world, who does the Quality Organization answer to? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
H Statistics Guru? What method is appropriate to calculate the answer Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
G Our employees are overwhelmed by ISO 9000 requirements - Is Training the Answer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D No response to CAR's - Supplier refuses to answer a corrective action Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
N I need your opinion about budget answer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T What Do You Think about 'Quality' - One Word Answer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
R When can you stop root cause analysis - Is the answer never? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
P To Control or Not to Control - Answer Keys to Tests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
M Answer to Mr. Shailesh Patel 7 Jully 1998 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
M Management Review Inputs ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Exclusions to ISO9001:2015 Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S ISO9001 QMS: Quality Manual Examples & Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S ISO9001:2015 Implementation / update plan template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K AS9100 and ISO9001 together AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
T Transition from ISO9001 to AS9100D: O&G to Aerospace AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10