SBS - The best value in QMS software

How to answer these standard HR Employment Interview Questions

1) Tell me about your milestones and accomplishments in the job you are in ?
2) How would you resolve conflicts ?
3) What would be your Ideal Job ?
4) Why are you looking for a Job now ?

Typical Stupid HR questions. Can any one help if there is a right / wrong way to answer these.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
I used to look at these like essay questions in tests in school. There isn't any right or wrong per se. It's the over all content and relevance of your response. Keep on-topic and be as specific as possible. I always used examples, and since these are so standard, you could easily write out your answer now which will give you time to think about what you want to say and examples you might want to use.

I used to always have a copy of my resume with me as well so that I could easily refer to line items in my responses.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

Typical Stupid HR questions. Can any one help if there is a right / wrong way to answer these.
I used to look at these like essay questions in tests in school. There isn't any right or wrong per se. It's the over all content and relevance of your response. Keep on-topic and be as specific as possible. I always used examples, and since these are so standard, you could easily write out your answer now which will give you time to think about what you want to say and examples you might want to use.

I used to always have a copy of my resume with me as well so that I could easily refer to line items in my responses.
Marc's on the right track. Let me expand a bit about what is good and what never to say in response to these if you really want the job.

First, these are not "stupid" HR questions. If you approach them with that attitude, you are already behind the 8 ball.

The intent behind these question is to find a candidate who has these attributes:

1. A guy who actually does something, not just punch a clock
  2. A guy who will fit in to the corporate culture
  3. A guy whose "ideal" job involves him providing value to an employer and getting appropriate reward for that value
  4. A guy who puts the best face on a bad situation (being out of a job or looking to leave a current one), especially NOT bad-mouthing current or previous employer.
  5. A guy who has the oral and/or written communication skills to summarize these attributes and put them in a listenable or readable form (i.e. the reader is eager to listen or read to the end and does NOT laugh or curse under his breath at the bad spelling and bad grammar. Especially, the job candidate does NOT want the reader to think or say in his recap of the interview, "What on earth was this candidate thinking? Was he on drugs?!")
Never

• list an ideal job that has nothing to do with the employer or industry connected with the interview.
  • bad-mouth previous or current employer or coworkers - this is NOT the place to "vent."
  • use this writing opportunity to imply you are anything other than a self-controlled individual. (this means all your conflicts are "intellectual" or honest "differences of opinion" which can be resolved by joining with the other party in searching for the truth [WIN-WIN] in a non-emotional atmosphere.)
  • emphasize what you expect from the employer without first offering the quid pro quo of the value you will provide to the employer.

Last edited:

Surely not stupid? Don't the answers say a lot about the person and what sets them apart, in a very difficult job market?

B

Bogie

The only wrong answer is an answer that is not honest. You may word your answer in such a way to put as good a light on things as possible, but don't over-embelish.

1) Surely your boss has given you some milestones, goals or special projects at some point (even if you viewed them as part of your job). Take some time to recall what they have been, and how you accomplished the resolutions. Additionally, recall any instances where you came up with a solution to a problem that you were not directly asked to resolve, and may not have had anything to do with your job. (My favorite accomplishment to relate is teaching myself AutoCAD so I could help out while we were in between drafters - not part of my QA job at the time).

2) Only you can answer this one - I'm guessing any references to violence will not be received well.

3) Do you like to work on several projects at once or do you like to see a project thru before starting another one. Do you like a boss that is well involved or do you prefer one that gives you space unless you ask for assistance/guidance. Do you like informal setting and casual work relationships (no, I'm not talking about anything other than platonic) or do you like work to be formal and relationships purely business.

4) Perhaps there are rumors of layoffs / plant closings. Perhaps you are in a dead-end job. Perhaps you are looking at a different career path. Perhaps you are looking to move or are following your spouse (if the work is in another state). There are many more reasons that people

Good luck with developing your answers, and landing the job that you want.

K

Ka Pilo

The only wrong answer is an answer that is not honest. You may word your answer in such a way to put as good a light on things as possible, but don't over-embelish.
:agree1:
Be honest but not too honest. For example, one of the toughest, yet most important questions typically asked is “what are your weaknesses?” When I say "not too honest", I mean something like picking a neutral weakness about something that’s not critical to the job. Any weaknesses you said should be followed up by emphasizing what you’ve done to overcome them. Other than that, be honest.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
From the training that I've had on hiring, these questions can tell one quite a bit about the applicant. Is he a team player? Is he overly conceited? Does he minimize his abilities? Does he think in the terms that the organization is looking for? Don't think these questions are stupid, people spend a lot of money learning how to assess these very questions in order to find people who fit the "wish list".

Don't sell yourself short, yet try to use examples that show how you fit into a team, and work with others (no man is an island). Make it clear that you have something to offer the company

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator

AFA #1, have 3 experiences available to relate where you solved a difficult problem and/or saved the company money. The internet is full of information you can use to prepare for your interview. Do a search. You can start with
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
qualprod ISO 9001 - 9.3.2 c) 7 is answer for 8.4.1? Performance of external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
B What is your pat answer when a co-worker asks about ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Do I need to answer Audit Observations? General Auditing Discussions 33
S "Answer books" for ISO/TS 16949 Implementation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Major NADCAP Magnetic Inspection Nonconformance - How to answer it? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J What will happen if you can't answer questions of recruiters? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
E Should I refuse to answer personal questions during the interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 59
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It Depends,? Part 2 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It depends,? Part 1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 44
B Overall Process Capability - Simple question if you know how to answer it! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Management refuses to answer Corrective Action request Nonconformance and Corrective Action 43
Anerol C Need to answer a Car due the CAR answering process and implentation is not workin Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q Is my Cpk calculator answer valid? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Y Functional Testing The only Answer to Quality After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
H How do I answer an audit finding I don?t agree with? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
T Employee Reviews not completed - Audit Finding - Difficult Finding to Answer Internal Auditing 31
L VDA Product Submission Form - Please help a Cove newbie answer a VDA question VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 12
H Countermeasure Answer on Decision Making - Need help Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
B Is Minitab technical support answer 2255 wrong? Using Minitab Software 5
Jim Wynne Microsoft's answer to the iPhone? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 9
Marc Visualizing "Answer People" In Online Discussions After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
D How to answer customer?s TQM test paper? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
L Corrective action following a wrong answer of the auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Jim Wynne Jobseekers: Don't take "no" for an answer Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
D Can several trainees share one answer sheet? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J Implement TS16949 Quality System - How to answer Question at Interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
A Example of an Ad Not to Answer Career and Occupation Discussions 22
A Where can I get information to answer queries realted to OHSAS 18001? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
L Audit Nonconformance - Not following Control Plan - How to answer Request for CA? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R In a perfect world, who does the Quality Organization answer to? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
H Statistics Guru? What method is appropriate to calculate the answer Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
G Our employees are overwhelmed by ISO 9000 requirements - Is Training the Answer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D No response to CAR's - Supplier refuses to answer a corrective action Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
N I need your opinion about budget answer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T What Do You Think about 'Quality' - One Word Answer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
R When can you stop root cause analysis - Is the answer never? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
P To Control or Not to Control - Answer Keys to Tests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
M Answer to Mr. Shailesh Patel 7 Jully 1998 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
SABRINA DJILALI SAIAH Implementation of the ISAS-MEDIA 9001 standard in a TV channel ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance standard to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B European Harmonized vs IEC standard IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 2
Moumen H Variations between ASTM A29 Standard for steel bars and Mill test certificates specs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Which ISO Standard to purchase? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K IEC 60601-1:2005/AMD2:2020, Why this standard version is 3.0? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Standard -Machinist Handbook Customer Complaints 4
N EN 813, EN 12277, EN 1497 - Testing some harness prototypes to an EN standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
R Remote Audits for ISO 9001 (or any other standard) General Auditing Discussions 31