How to approach ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.1.6 when 3rd Party Auditing

armani

Involved In Discussions
I am asking for an opinion: how to approach 7.1.6 when 3rd party auditing?
Asking questions about determination / updating the necessary knowledge for every specific process, when auditing the respective process?? Or discussing about determination etc. of necessary OK with top mgm? Or both?? ...or....any other combination u can imagine....please share!

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am asking for an opinion: how to approach 7.1.6 whan 3rd party auditing?
Asking questions about determination / updating the necessary knowledge for every specific process, when auditing the respective process??Or discussing about determination etc. of necessary OK with top mgm? Or both?? ...or....any other combination u can imagine....please share!
Do you have any succession planning program in your company? Discuss the process and perhaps show some matrices

BoardGuy

The organization must determine and maintain “the knowledge necessary for the operation of its processes and to achieve conformity.” The organization is the one who determines what knowledge is necessary and I suggest you review the Organizational Knowledge Annex A.7 to ISO 9001:2015.

Also the ISO/IAF Auditing Practices Group Guidance on Organizational Knowledge makes reference to the following:

1) Knowledge is a resource needed for the organization to support the quality management system processes, quality activities, and to ensure conformity of products and services.

2) Organizational Knowledge is the specific knowledge of the organization, coming either from its collective experience or form the individual experience of its persons.

3) Organizational knowledge in the persons of the organization may be recorded in documented information, imbedded in the processes, products and services of the organization, etc. Examples include documented information regarding a process, product or service specifications, and work instructions.

4) Knowledge and knowledge management vary considerably according to an organization’s context, the sector it operates in, the competitiveness of its markets, etc.

5) Organizations should consider internal and external sources, such as

- Learning form failures, near miss situations and successes;
- Gathering knowledge from customers, suppliers and partners;
- Capturing knowledge that exists within the organization;
- Benchmarking against competitors;
- Sharing organizational knowledge with relevant interested parties
- Updating the necessary organizational knowledge based on the results of improvements
- Knowledge coming from conferences, attending to fairs, networking seminars, or other external events.

Remember your organization is the one who will determine what knowledge is necessary and not the 3rd party auditor. When you start to address auditors question on this your answer should (my recommendation) start with “based on the context of the organization…” this limits the scope of the question and informs the auditor that it is based on the organizational context determined in Section 4 of ISO 9001.

LUV-d-4UM

The organization must determine and maintain “the knowledge necessary for the operation of its processes and to achieve conformity.” The organization is the one who determines what knowledge is necessary and I suggest you review the Organizational Knowledge Annex A.7 to ISO 9001:2015.

Also the ISO/IAF Auditing Practices Group Guidance on Organizational Knowledge makes reference to the following:

1) Knowledge is a resource needed for the organization to support the quality management system processes, quality activities, and to ensure conformity of products and services.

2) Organizational Knowledge is the specific knowledge of the organization, coming either from its collective experience or form the individual experience of its persons.

3) Organizational knowledge in the persons of the organization may be recorded in documented information, imbedded in the processes, products and services of the organization, etc. Examples include documented information regarding a process, product or service specifications, and work instructions.

4) Knowledge and knowledge management vary considerably according to an organization’s context, the sector it operates in, the competitiveness of its markets, etc.

5) Organizations should consider internal and external sources, such as

- Learning form failures, near miss situations and successes;
- Gathering knowledge from customers, suppliers and partners;
- Capturing knowledge that exists within the organization;
- Benchmarking against competitors;
- Sharing organizational knowledge with relevant interested parties
- Updating the necessary organizational knowledge based on the results of improvements
- Knowledge coming from conferences, attending to fairs, networking seminars, or other external events.

Remember your organization is the one who will determine what knowledge is necessary and not the 3rd party auditor. When you start to address auditors question on this your answer should (my recommendation) start with “based on the context of the organization…” this limits the scope of the question and informs the auditor that it is based on the organizational context determined in Section 4 of ISO 9001.
SHOULD CONSIDER- not to do all of it. We now are undergoing training for succession planning and Individual Development Plan. That has never been an issue in the past and now the auditor has already started asking questions along the line of 7.1.6 and our objective evidence ia OK for him to make a decision that the process is meeting the intent of the standard.:deadhorse:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I am asking for an opinion: how to approach 7.1.6 whan 3rd party auditing?
Asking questions about determination / updating the necessary knowledge for every specific process, when auditing the respective process??Or discussing about determination etc. of necessary OK with top mgm? Or both?? ...or....any other combination u can imagine....please share!
There has been such a lengthy debate on this, in this thread. Look, specifically to post #2 of that thread. The back and forth points can be used for implementation and assessment perspectives.

A search is a terrible thing to waste.

armani

Involved In Discussions
There has been such a lengthy debate on this, in this thread. Look, specifically to post #2 of that thread. The back and forth points can be used for implementation and assessment perspectives.

A search is a terrible thing to waste.
Thanks, Sidney. Of course I read the thread u are pointing to....but this is not my original question.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear - I want an advice (let's say, advice for a 3rd party auditor) about how to approach this clause - discussion with top mgm., discussion when auditing every process, a combination of both or other approach??

dsanabria

Thanks, Sidney. Of course I read the thread u are pointing to....but this is not my original question.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear - I want an advice (let's say, advice for a 3rd party auditor) about how to approach this clause - discussion with top mgm., discussion when auditing every process, a combination of both or other approach??
Simple:

1. How do you define Knowledge

2. Objective evidence that is documented and maintained.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Shortening processes complying with process approach ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M APQC PCF (Process Classification Framework) and ISO 9001 - Processes Based Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Quality Policy approach of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 5.2.1a ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and 18001 Integrated Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Need assistance with ISO 9001 Certification Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D How to approach Paper and Electronic Record Control for ISO 9001:2008 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
WCHorn Quality Digest article on the Process Approach to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Feedback on Approach to Flowcharts ISO 9001 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Q ISO 13485, ISO 9001 QMS and FDA Requirements - Process vs. Compliance Approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C The Holistic Approach to Internal Auditing (ISO 9001) Internal Auditing 14
A Quality Gurus - How ISO 9001:2008 is based on the philosophies approach... Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 11
I ISO 9001: 2008 Implementation - Quality Manual First -> Questionable approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
A Process approach to auditing ISO 9001:1994 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A A macro-process structure approach to auditing for ISO 9001:2000(8) General Auditing Discussions 19
M ISO 9001:2000 Gap Analysis Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G ISO 9001:2000 Registration, but no process approach and no measurable objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G ISO's Web Site - Guidance on the ISO 9001 Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A ISO 9001:2000 and the Process Approach vs. QS-9000 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
Marc ISO 9001:2000 Process Approach - What is it? Is it 'Real'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 80
S Minimalist approach to an ISO 9001 quality manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
S ISO 13485:2016 - Risk-based Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S ISO 13485:2016 - How I can integrate a risk management approach in our SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Risk Based Approach for ISO 13485:2016 Form/Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
alonFAI How to define a Risk Based Approach for Supplier Management per ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Risk Requirements to meet the explicit Risk Based Approach of ISO 13485:2016 Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
A How do we implement a Process Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Existing GMP QMS Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
G How to approach ISO 50001 Legal Requirements Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
T Best Risk Analysis Approach (ISO 14971) - Class IIa Medical Devices ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
P Process Approach - Implementing ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
C ISO/ PAS 28000 Implementation Guide - I'm interested in its risk based approach Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
Barahir Will a one-process approach to ISO/TS 16949:2002 fly? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 67
M Efficient approach to convert Quality System from ISO 13485:2000 to ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M 'Process Approach' to ISO 9000 Internal Audits - Identify an 'owner' for each process Internal Auditing 15
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
G New CAPA Work Flow with Revised 8D Approach Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
R Bottom up approach versus system level ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O Validation approach for a Photostability Chamber (used for fluid therapy and injectable drug products) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Sidney Vianna NASA to Develop a Novel Approach for All-Electric Aircraft Using Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen as Energy Storage World News 2
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Usability IEC 62366-1:2015 and MDR 2017/745 - Risk based approach IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
M Informational EU – Medicinal products and medical devices: Coordinated approach in case of a withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the Union without a deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Risk Approach doesn't address External Issues (Auditor's Comment) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
Q Questions about the Risk-based approach to QMS processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
N Do I need to approach galvanized steel sheet flatness issue with DOE? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9