How to "approve" a start-up facility

S

SteelWoman

I could use some wisdom on how to "legally" use a new start-up supplier next door. They are a new facility whose "parent company" is a VERY large, very established, well known company. They are in the infancy stage of getting certified to ISO or QS. This type of raw material supplier DOES have to be certified per our own procedures and the Sanctioned Interpretation. If we go to perform an audit over there my problems are two-fold : Given the number of employees they have in order to comply with the "audit days" requirement I'll have to perform an initial audit of 8 days - how in the heck am I gonna' actually DO that given that they are just barely beginning certification process. Second issue, I have a problem with even doing an audit there because at this stage in their development they will FLUNK any audit I perform - they have process control in place but little else.

Our registrar has us asking our customers what they want us to do, but I don't have any responses yet. The supplier is absolutely CRITICAL to us, from a logistical, economics, cost standpoint. There is NO WAY we will not use them.

Any wisdom?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

SteelWoman

How does that work, exactly? New territory for me... do I have to get waiver from EVERY customer we have to whom we might apply this material or will a "representative" number do?

M

M Greenaway

Steel

You would need a concession from every customer that contractually mandated that your supplier was certified. If however this is just an internal control then your own single internal concession would do.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Steelwoman

Would an outside, accredited, laboratory be an option? We have gone that route while waiting for a supplier to get certified in the past.

Bill

S

SteelWoman

Our own lab is certified and we test all the material we receive, no matter from whom. But I don't think that relieves us of responsibility to have our raw material suppliers certified.

A

Aaron Lupo

SteelWoman said:

I could use some wisdom on how to "legally" use a new start-up supplier next door. They are a new facility whose "parent company" is a VERY large, very established, well known company. They are in the infancy stage of getting certified to ISO or QS. This type of raw material supplier DOES have to be certified per our own procedures and the Sanctioned Interpretation. If we go to perform an audit over there my problems are two-fold : Given the number of employees they have in order to comply with the "audit days" requirement I'll have to perform an initial audit of 8 days - how in the heck am I gonna' actually DO that given that they are just barely beginning certification process. Second issue, I have a problem with even doing an audit there because at this stage in their development they will FLUNK any audit I perform - they have process control in place but little else.

Our registrar has us asking our customers what they want us to do, but I don't have any responses yet. The supplier is absolutely CRITICAL to us, from a logistical, economics, cost standpoint. There is NO WAY we will not use them.

Any wisdom?
First question why does your supplier have to be "Certified", I know it is in your internal procedures but why?? Also, it would take you 8 days to audit this supplier per some requirement, what requirement is that?

To me it seems your company has put themselves in a very bad spot to say the supplier has to be certified and/or audited by you. I am sorry but the 8 days really baffles me, how big (number of people) is this particular supplier?

S

SteelWoman

It's a QS thing - the last "sanctioned interpretation" put a specific deadline for getting all your suppliers certified to either ISO or QS. Good gosh, there's NO WAY I would do that to myself! :)

The audit days requirement is set forth in the QS standard, and the requirements for certification of the suppliers specifically states that if we choose to go the second party audit route we must comply with the audit day requirements as set forth in the standard.:eek:

M

M Greenaway

Steel

Must admit I havent looked at the sanctioned interpretations in a while, but QS9000 itself says that suppliers should be complaint, i.e. SHOULD, as in desirable but not mandatory, and COMPLIANT, as in complies but not necessarily CERTIFIED.

Also as you are not a supplier to the OEMs themselves you could probably wing it anyway, **** I know we do !!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F Which Business Function should Approve Suppliers and maintain the ASL Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Opportunity For Improvement - Customer to sign off or approve a new design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Changing dimensional tolerances to approve rejected product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO9001 how to approve trade supplier and packaging supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Chennaiite Can an Auditor question Top Management decision to approve deviation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
R When Pp>2, and Ppk<1.33, can we approve a new process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Can I approve my own Documentation per FDA QSR 21 CFR Part 820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Ronen E TGA may approve rapid HIV test, but only as PoCT (Point of Care Tests) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T Do I need to approve my Registrar and include them in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P General Parameters to Approve Supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Who can approve Acceptance Activities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
A Action on Quality Records - Approve, Update and Carry Out Revision Control Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
S Product Development Program - Design, develop, approve and manufacture new products Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
C Approved supplier/vendor - How do I approve my Registrar? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
A Is there any way of approve a procedure without printing it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
I Verifying our process to approve suppliers for indirect material Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C How to Approve that an employee is 'Competent' - TS-16949 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
W MSA 3rd- need customer approve!!! Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G 4.2.3a Approve Documents - Is listing the verbage 'Engineering Manager' sufficent? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L 3rd Tier Supplier - ow can we approve this company as being a qualified supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
mike10 QMS Update - Rev. up or start over? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N China - Start manufacturing before change approval? China Medical Device Regulations 1
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Implementing ISO 20000-1 - Where to start Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T CE mark start date for a device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
qualprod Statistics - Where to start in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W My company is looking to start a materials testing lab that conforms to ISO17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
G Start and main steps of API Q1 Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
H Transferring an ISO 13485 certificate to a new CB - Do I have to start from scratch? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
TheMightyWife Can not start Personal Conversations Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 18
E Is it possible to start an ISO 9001 QMS from scratch (Really) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
M How do you start a calibration/anything company? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
E ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
B Gap analysis of new start-up company technical documentation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
qualprod How to start with Lean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R QMS and ISO - Where to start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S ISO 17025 - Help in Getting accreditation- Where to start from ISO 17025 related Discussions 12
H Need to Start an R&D Laboratory, what to do? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
O Start Up Approval Dimension Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Moncia Design FMEA - Where to Start FMEA and Control Plans 20
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19