How to Audit Procurement and Maintenance Scheduling Activities

L

Limmeng

Hi.

It's been a long time.

I need to perform ISO 9001 audit, in a company which scope is only involving procurement. Procurement activities are common for each department - i.e each section has its own procurement department - the only differences are the materials they purchase. One more department is coordinating maintenance activities of the consumable units they purchase.

Please give some idea on this audit trailing. Or any reference(s). The company does not even have quality manual that I can refer to.

Thanks for the help.

Lim

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi.

It's been a long time.

I need to perform ISO 9001 audit, in a company which scope is only involving procurement. Procurement activities are common for each department - i.e each section has its own procurement department - the only differences are the materials they purchase. One more department is coordinating maintenance activities of the consumable units they purchase.

Please give some idea on this audit trailing. Or any reference(s). The company does not even have quality manual that I can refer to.

Thanks for the help.

Lim

ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.4 spells out the requirements for the purchasing process.

When you say "maintenance activities", do you mean that those are related to equipment or purchased product? Purchased product is normally not subject to maintenance activities. If you mean inspection and perhaps rework on that product, that's a different story because then "control of nonconforming product" comes into play.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hi.

It's been a long time.

Thanks for the help.

Lim

When you say that the company "...does not even have quality manual..." I assume that there are no documented requirements at all. If this is correct, you have no basis for an audit, so I don't see how a meaningful audit could be done. If there are documented requirements, they should be the basis of your audit.

T

trainerbob

I agree with Jim. It sounds like the "company" has bigger issues than purchasing. One of the first things we all look when auditing is the quality manual. the quality manual needs to show or describe the processes of the organization and the linkages between them. Without the quality manual, there would be no reason to even think about auditing. We audit by processes. We have to know what the processes are.

How did you get put in a situation where you need to do this particular audit?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
When you say that the company "...does not even have quality manual..." I assume that there are no documented requirements at all. If this is correct, you have no basis for an audit, so I don't see how a meaningful audit could be done. If there are documented requirements, they should be the basis of your audit.

The OP only stated that:
I need to perform ISO 9001 audit, in a company which scope is only involving procurement.
ISO 9001 spells out the purchasing requirements. So, if the organization does not meet the ISO 9001:2008 requiremens for purchasing then there will be a number of nonconformities.:mg:

Stijloor.

L

Limmeng

The company indeed has no quality manual ... but the reason my boss was asking to see if they are ready ,for us to enforce them in acqquiring ISO. This may sound like "gap analysis".... but i guess my boss wants us to do "process audit" or something similar..

Being trained in IRCA 5 day auditor course - my boss puts me into this.

Maybe the purchasing process audit trailing will do. I believe it's more than just clause 7.4 requirements.... How about plaanning of maintenance activities (maybe clause 7.1, 7.2?)

Thanks for the input...

Top Bottom