How to become an Aerospace Auditor guidance

S

sh4139724

My names Samantha, I am trying to figure out how I can become an aerospace auditor. Thus far figuring it out has been tough. I know this is a bit random but I am seeking guidance as to what steps I need to take. I am currently an inspector at an aerospace and defense facility and would like to ultimately audit for NADCAP or just an AA. If you can provide any incite I would really appreciate it! thank you.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
I would suggest that you get the Aerospace experience under your belt. Get at least 5 years, working with an AEA or AA. Get involved with the 3rd Party Auditing as an observer. Understand the requirements. That should get you started, in my opinion. :cool:

Randy

Super Moderator
Do you have any aerospace experience beyond inspection?

Last edited:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
My names Samantha, I am trying to figure out how I can become an aerospace auditor. Thus far figuring it out has been tough. I know this is a bit random but I am seeking guidance as to what steps I need to take. I am currently an inspector at an aerospace and defense facility and would like to ultimately audit for NADCAP or just an AA. If you can provide any insight I would really appreciate it! thank you.
Since you are currently working in an aerospace company, I suggest you talk with the people in your company who do internal audits. To be a lead auditor you need aerospace experience, and part of that can come in the company you are working for.

I also suggest you read through some of the discussions here, and of course there are other websites with aerospace auditor information. I'm not in aerospace so other than that I can't help much.

Becoming a Certified Aerospace Auditor - How to get the required audit days

AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar

Pursuing AEA (Aerospace Experience Auditor) Certification

More aerospace auditor related discussions here.

I also suggest that you take a quick read through this IAQG faq.

B

BoardGuy

Actually you should just go to the Probitas Authentication website http://www.sae-itc.org/probitas/about/ as this will be the group handling the process for auditor approval going forward for AS9100D.

This link, http://www.sae-itc.org/probitas/auditor/resources/as9100-aqms-auditor-application-user-guide.pdf takes you to the AS9100 AQMS Auditor Application Guide which defines the requirements. Basically the process involves attending an approved lead auditor course; AQMS work experience and completion of a certain number of audit days based on the certification grade you are seeking.

Now in generality terms, based on what I have been told by auditors in the industry, AQMS auditor are in demand and in some case the certification body will work with you to obtain the needed audit days. But you should be aware that AQMS auditors are working about 200 to 220 days a year on contract and you may be holding up to $10,000 in traveling expenses each month on your credit card pending payment from the CB.

A

Aero in Oz

This is an interesting subject. I've applied for AS9100 AEA with Probitas. I have 12 years of aircraft MRO trade experience and nearly 2 yrs. management level manufacturing experience; and they said I don't meet the "aerospace work experience" requirement, hmmm! It seems if you're not a Quality manager/supplier or a similar member of a quality team, they bounce you. It also seems there more emphasis on interpretation of AS9104 definitions than industry experience where direct hands-on application occurs.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I appeal or accept a lower grade? Thanks folks. :argue:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Aero in Oz, and welcome to the forums. :bigwave:
This is an interesting subject. I've applied for AS9100 AEA with Probitas. I have 12 years of aircraft MRO trade experience and nearly 2 yrs. management level manufacturing experience; and they said I don't meet the "aerospace work experience" requirement, hmmm! It seems if you're not a Quality manager/supplier or a similar member of a quality team, they bounce you. It also seems there more emphasis on interpretation of AS9104 definitions than industry experience where direct hands-on application occurs.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I appeal or accept a lower grade? Thanks folks. :argue:

In my opinion Probitas is much more reasonable and easier to work with than RABQSA (Exemplar Global) was. AS9104/3 clause 3.16 says:
Work Experience

Full-time work experience in the aerospace industry directly involved in engineering, design, manufacturing, quality, or process control...
What do you mean by "aircraft MRO trade experience"? Does that mean doing hands-on repair/maintenance work? If so you could probably argue that you were in manufacturing for the required amount of time, but they are probably looking at a distinction shown in the AS9110 auditor requirements that says "In addition, 2 years full time experience performing repair/maintenance in the last 4 years," implying that the repair/maintenance experience is not included in the AQMS work experience.

Since you've already applied, you can try to appeal. If that doesn't work you can either take the AA instead of AEA (but you won't be able to lead an AS9100 audit) or you can take an "approved aerospace industry specific course" and be witnessed on two full audits by an AEA that was not qualified by training (this will be expensive). If you're planning to continue working full time in the industry you can upgrade the AA to AEA after a couple of years.

A

Aero in Oz

Hi Aero in Oz, and welcome to the forums. :bigwave:

In my opinion Probitas is much more reasonable and easier to work with than RABQSA (Exemplar Global) was. AS9104/3 clause 3.16 says:
What do you mean by "aircraft MRO trade experience"? Does that mean doing hands-on repair/maintenance work? If so you could probably argue that you were in manufacturing for the required amount of time, but they are probably looking at a distinction shown in the AS9110 auditor requirements that says "In addition, 2 years full time experience performing repair/maintenance in the last 4 years," implying that the repair/maintenance experience is not included in the AQMS work experience.

Since you've already applied, you can try to appeal. If that doesn't work you can either take the AA instead of AEA (but you won't be able to lead an AS9100 audit) or you can take an "approved aerospace industry specific course" and be witnessed on two full audits by an AEA that was not qualified by training (this will be expensive). If you're planning to continue working full time in the industry you can upgrade the AA to AEA after a couple of years.
Thanks for your reply.
MRO in these terms is the maintenance, repair and overhaul sector. I had a feeling Probitas was finding the relevance of my experience was more toward AS9110 instead of AS9100. I found it confusing that in their application guide they use the exact definition of Work Experience Requirements in both AS9100 and 9110.
I have a feeling that I may have the same battle when I apply for AS9110 AEA; whereby I have the 2 year requirement in MRO, but was not in a "quality" role for the 4 year requirement. I've emailed them on this issue, but no response yet.
Thanks again.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
My names Samantha, I am trying to figure out how I can become an aerospace auditor. Thus far figuring it out has been tough. I know this is a bit random but I am seeking guidance as to what steps I need to take. I am currently an inspector at an aerospace and defense facility and would like to ultimately audit for NADCAP or just an AA. If you can provide any incite I would really appreciate it! thank you.

Here is the application - come back to the forum if you need help.

Attachments

• aqms-auditor-application.pdf
    192.5 KB · Views: 280
A

Aero in Oz

Hi Sam,
for AA - per the guide, you need to take the AS91xx AATT course (the latest aatt course should include the latest 9101 revision) and the AS91xx (or ISO9001) auditor course. I'd recommend the AS auditor course seeing that you want to stick with aerospace. Conduct 4 complete quality management system audits (not partial) which total 20 audit days (download an audit log and start logging). Keep these complete audits within the 3 year period. And they must be there supplier (2nd party) or CB (3rd party) audits. Refer to pg. 4 of 12 of the guide.
Good luck with your journey. I'm still working through mine. :agree1:

Top Bottom