How to begin tracking FPY (First Pass Yield) and "Downtime" tracking

B

burns290

I am looking for some initial guidance here... I am the (new) QE of an assembly /test area for hydraulic motors. FPY is not currently tracked and I want to begin tracking it....Good ideas on how to start, what has worked not worked for you?

Also - We tend to have an enormous amount of downtime...Like 25%

We currently track this as downtime, even though not all of the recorded notes on the shift report caused a line stoppage. Some were just reductions in efficiency. Before we try to reinvent the wheel, any suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
well, I would begin as simple as possible.
you will need to be very clear on definitions and that there will be no blame assigned. I woudl also use paper - or better yet a giant white board

for FPY you can start by defining any unit that 'loops back' to a previous operation or diverts to a 'rework' operation as failed. Count each unit that moves through an operation the first time. (if you don't have serial number control you can use toe tags, collored dots, etc. to mark the part as failing; or your standard non confomring material marking) FPY = failed units / first time proceesed units at each opeartion. RTY = FPY1*FPY2...the advanced - and more accurate - method is to define any rework as a failed unit. even when the reowrk is done at teh bench where it was detected and no loop back or diversion takes place.

You should also impress upon the operators that the failure is to be recorded not the 'guess' at the cause. I certainly would avoid over aggregated buckets of 'cause' such as operator error, supplier problem, process problem or equipment malfunction. This bucketing makes true improvement nigh onto impossible because it is often wrong and lacks sufficient detail to be actionable. The recorder of the occurence of the event rarely investigates or knows the true cause. This can be added later after the investigation and validation of cause...if the recorder actually knows the cause it would beg the question: why haven't we fixed if we know what it is?

For downtime the same principles apply. Only you can add greater detail in the definitions regarding type of downtime. Since the main focus of downtime tracking is to drive improvements such that the equipment is always available and funcitoning properly to produce product that meets requirements your definitions are critical. the critical element is that an equipment malfunction that doesn't directly stop production becuase of timing or a work around should still be recorded as downtime because it is only luck or serendipity or extra capacity that avoided the production stoppage.

Again no 'causes' that is for investigation to determine.

I

iamtroll

I agree with Bev, start simple, post it where everyone can see it, be flexible at the beginning so you can make adjustments to the input info and of course no blame game. Here is a quick spreadsheet that I like to use at startup to make sure that I get the "Other" column in control quickly in case I missed some significant defects.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
supadrai Forced into Regulatory Affairs Role - Where do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
julsbear When will registrars begin audits for IATF 16949:2016? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
C ISO Auditor Trainee - How do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
F Where does Contact begin for Biocompatability? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Where to begin to move our company towards ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
JodiB What point does the Accreditation begin in the process? ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C 8D for Dummies - How do I begin using the 8D approach to Corrective Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
B Is it normal for a procedure to begin with a conditional directive? (if statement) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
N Where to begin defining and monitoring Quality Metrics in a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
N The Gap Analysis is complete - From which clause do I begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Risk Management - Where to begin? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 21
T Implementing a Kaizen Team - Where Should I begin? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
GStough Risk Management Has to Begin Prior to Design Input, But... Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) - Where to begin when setting up a system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
C How to become an ISO Consultant and How do I begin? Consultants and Consulting 5
B How do I begin implementing HACCP? Flexible food packaging Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
GStough Where to begin - creating a Quality Plan for Class I Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
H Auditing Lean as a process - Where to begin? Internal Auditing 9
CarolX Star Trek XI will begin filming this fall for Christmas 2008 release - It's official! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Steve McQuality RoHS Lead (Pb) Weight Calculation on paper before we begin costly testing RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
T Changing Existing Quality Culture/Program - Where to Begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Quality program, where to begin? One man machine/mold shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
C where 2 begin? Info Mgmt Blueprint for internal Communication & knowledge xchange Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
CarolX Where does Quality begin? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 36
M Research and Development Process - Where does research end and development begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
F Where do I begin for ISO 9K:2K? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Let The Lawsuits Begin! Lawsuit could set crucial Y2K precedent World News 3
J Designing new gauge tracking software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
samer Acceptable limits for Spills - Tracking Hydraulic Spills ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
R Software change control process and defect tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Tracking laptop movement inside the office IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
I Corrective Action Tracking for Product and Process in the same system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Training Record Template and tracking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Help me build an Excel Spreadsheet for tracking training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
J Tracking-Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
A Order Confirmations 7.4 - Tracking Purchase Order Confirmations from Suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M Tracking External Oversight at a large Naval Shipyard Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
J Using a Rhode FSH6 Tracking Generator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Gage Calibration Tracking in MS Excel Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 9
A Tracking Calibration and Qualification in an MS Excel Spreadsheet Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
kmyers Processing Time Tracking Software Program Help Needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C Reagent tracking in an ISO 17025 laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 2