How to build a Microsoft Access MDB Database for Document Control

I

irsmalik

Hello Alls

I have a little know how of Access Database. Presently I am working in a construction company who keeps its Drawings record in Excel format. Our system is like this

QQQ is Client
EEE is Contractor
PPP is Sub-Contractor

Now the situation is that PPP design a Drawing and send it to EEE, then EEE send it to QQQ for Review / Approval. If is approved then OK and no problem. but if QQQ give its comments it reverse to EEE and then to PPP. So our drawing approval cycle is give below:

Step 1 PPP design drawing in Rev 0 and send it to EEE
Step 2 EEE send this drawing to QQQ
Step 3 QQQ send it back to EEE with its comments
Step 4 EEE send it back to PPP
Step 5 PPP incorporate comments and send it to EEE in Rev 1
Step 6 EEE again send it to QQQ
Step 7 QQQ approve it or again make some changes

So this is the story. Our company is using an Excel Sheet which records

Dwg No
Rev
Xmtl No form PPP
Xmtl Date.

Then we send it to QQQ

Dwg No
Rev
Xmtl No to QQQ
Xmtl Date

So it become a LONG ROW to see where the drawings and what is its current Rev and Status (approved or still in approving process).

I want to make a database in Acces. I don't understand how to see all this Drawings incoming and outgoing in ONE SINGLE SCREEN.

Can anybody please help me to guide / advise a way out of this. Or if there is a template of Revision Based Entry / Repeated entry between 3 companies.

I will be thankful to all friends. I want to do something which can improve my status in new company... OK dear... I will wait for your suggestions / advise.

Irshad Ahmad

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sounds like you need a relational database file, with the basic information about the document in a master file, then a daughter file that is a transactional recording of things that happen to the document and the assumption the most recent record is the current status.

There is a report generator in Access where you can do a lot of control of the output. If you've never worked with relational databases before, setting up the relational databases and keeping them index will at first be a challenge. VBA programming is also available in Access if needed.

I

irsmalik

Thanks U Steve
Reports option is a task after Data Entry in a Table or Form.
My first task is to make a Form where I could enter my data and view all incoming & outgoing drawings cycle.
I am looking a way how to enter Repeatedly Revisions between 3 companies. I will be thankful if you could proide me some idea.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'd suggest you flowchart out the document control process for the three companies first. Then you should be able to develop the data structure. Perhaps a structure with a master document file, and then three relational files, one per company with the individual status (and applicability) at each company may be in order.

Woody

Starting to get Involved
This (attached .zip is Access 2014) is about as simple as it gets. You could refine this basic design to include date the drawing went from one entity to another. If different subcontractors are used, those could be another selection option.

All manner of additions can be built later without having to change existing tables by relating the new data to an existing key. If nothing else, maybe this will get you thinking in a different direction. Good luck!

Attachments

H

Hummingbird

Hi Woody. I have Access 2010 would you be so kind as to save it for 2010 and repost. This database is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

P

PaulJSmith

If your own attempts do not net you what you seek, one of the advertisers here on The Cove, Sunday Business Systems (link on the left of this page), offers a simple Access-based document control program for a very reasonable price.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Windows 10 OS build Software Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Help me build an Excel Spreadsheet for tracking training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
pinar77 VDA 6.3 - How can I build the process NTF? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
I Manufacturing build requests - process and form Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
M First Article Build (FAB) Process - Build and Test Aspects AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
quality1 Can a non AS9100 facility build a Aerospace product? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
O What is involved with witnessing an aerospace software build? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
L Build own Power Magnetic Field Test Equipment for IEC 61000-4-8 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
Q What are Box Build Processes? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Mikael How they build the largest ship Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
P Configuration Management for Build to Print Company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
D Cable Manufacturing Build Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Marc The US Manufacturing Exodus Continues - Chinese to build Cessna business jets World News 1
1 Stop Ship/Build or something like a Quality Alert template or procedure example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Production Trial Run Checklist or PV Build Checklist wanted APQP and PPAP 3
P Prototype Build Process per TS 16949 Clause 7.3.6.2 and APQP IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Z Does a Tooling Build or Design Benefit From TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Marc China to build buses that cars can drive under World News 20
V I want to build a career as an ISO Auditor - How to start Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M How to build a Document Control System from scratch Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L Work Instructions for One Time Tool Build - Tool and Die Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Books on How to Build Forms (Guidelines) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
L Can you help me build the perfect Quality Room? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 27
Q Procedure for New Product Introduction (NPI) - Build to print shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Quality Plan for ISO 9001-2000 - Assembly and Custom Build process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S How to Calculate BCS (Build To Customer Schedule) Metric? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T Control of Customer Supplied Material - Build to Print Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Machine Build Records Retention Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
S Do Product validation samples have to come from your PPAP build? APQP and PPAP 9
O Recomendations to build a complete quality management system - Documentation Way Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Marc Fiat and Ford forge car alliance to build a new car on the Panda platform World News 0
C Checking fixtures - How to build it and are its dimensions the same as the part? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Q In Need of Safety Advice - Design and build of a safety program Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
G How many hours does it take the big 4 to build an auto? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D How to build an SPC control chart in an Excel .xls spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 8
J Microsoft Smart Art Turtle Diagram Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
M Informational Microsoft Built a Bot to Match Patients to Clinical Trials Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
D Microsoft Excel database to Stand-alone software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
QSM_Rick Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A Free software similar to Microsoft Project - Any suggestion? APQP and PPAP 5
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
Marc Microsoft to rip up P2P Skype, killing native Mac, Linux native apps World News 0
Marc Microsoft just bought LinkedIn For $196/Share World News 9
M Active X and latest update from Microsoft - Dec 2014 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5