How to build an SPC control chart in an Excel .xls spreadsheet

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Marloun

You might want to try the SPC Kiss software. No, I am not too familiar with it so you have to ask another one for more info (if anyone's who knows SPC Kiss is reading this, please help out!!!). If I would like to make a control chart using excel, what I do is that I graph four sets of data (upper limit, lower limit, x-bar and the actual data), with the upper and lower limits and average having the same values upto the nth data point (i.e. if you have 10 data points, you will have ten U.L. values of say 43 units, another ten L.L. values of 23 units and another 10 values for the average of maybe 33 units) and only the actual obtained data will be variable. If youl'd like more help just email me and I'll give you an excel file attachment. Rgds.

D

Don Watt

I'm no statistical expert, but I've managed to produce control charts and capability calculations using excel. If anybody wants a copy/explanation of the formula I'd be happy to oblige.

Preference for using excel is to avoid having to learn a "canned" package, plus most of my colleagues are already familiar with excel.

One are I am having a bit of difficult with is that although I can produce histograms it's a bit of a long winded process in sorting and sub-totalling data. Does anybody have a simple method for histograms in excel?

B

BWoods

A simple and not too expensive way to get SPC for Excel is purchase the following book. It comes with a disk full of SPC charts, etc., written in Excel. All you have to do is copy to your computer and start using them.

I can't remember what I paid for this, but it wasn't a bad price.

Statistical Quality Control Using Excel
By Steven M. Zimmerman, et al
ISBN 0-87389-393-X
ASQ Press

With the ISBN you can get it almost anywhere, or order from:

www.asq.org

I purchased a canned version of excel charting By the name of the "QI coloring Book", 59.95 and well worth the price.
1-888-468-1535/1537.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Hot Off the Quality Press

Statistical Quality Control Using Excel (with software)
by Steven M. Zimmerman, Ph.D., and Marjorie L. Icenogle, Ph.D.

Quality practitioners from every industry have long used statistical quality control (SQC) to ensure that their products and services meet customer expectations. Too often, however, those less experienced with SQC find it difficult to interpret the complicated mathematical formulas and detailed sampling results associated with the application. As a result, many professionals have successfully turned to Excel® software to simplify their SQC endeavors and quickly reap the benefits of actually exceeding customer requirements.

Whether you’re new to SQC or the software product Excel, you’ll find all the information you need to understand and incorporate the two in Statistical Quality Control Using Excel. Nonmathematical descriptions guide you through the basics of both SQC and the methods of creating control charts using Excel. You’ll discover easy-to-read explanations of statistical distribution, outliers, and the analysis required for SQC methods. Statistical process control methods such as p and np control charts and Pareto charts are also demonstrated. This book will quickly become your most used source, as it will help you:

* Master the basics of structuring SQC problems using control charts and graphs
* Train those moving from Lotus 1-2-3® to the Excel spreadsheet software
* Reduce costly calculation errors

Practice problems, definitions of key terms, examples, and end of chapter summaries help make this book an outstanding tutorial for your desktop.

CONTENTS (Summarized): SQC and Spreadsheet Programs • Microsoft Excel Basics • Learning More About Excel • Statistical Fundamentals Using Excel • Distributions • Selected Functions and Data Analysis Tools • X Bar and Range Control Charts • X Bar and Sigma Control Charts • p and NP Control Charts • c and u Control Charts • Process Capability • Pareto and Fishbone Diagrams • Individual, Moving Average, and Moving Range Control Charts • Binomial and Hypergeometric Distributions • Operating Characteristics and Power Curves • Average Outgoing Quality

Additional Information:
System Requirements: Excel template disk will only run on Windows 95 running Excel 7
1998. 375 pages. ISBN 0-87389-393-X. 7 x 10 softcover.
Item: H0982 Member Price: $45.00 List Price: $50.00

This is a recently added title to our Quality Press collection and may or may not be listed in our Quality InfoSearch or our current Quality Press Publication Catalog. To save time, please call ASQ’s Customer Service Center at 800-248-1946 or 414-272-8575 to order this title.

B

BRoyal

I use the SPC KISS software, which is marketed by Air Academy Associates in Colorado Springs. It's inexpensive, fast, and very easy to learn and use. A bunch of other stuff is bundled with it, like Pareto charts, cumsums, etc.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: How to build an SPC control chart in an Excel .xls spreadsheet?

If you are trying to plot data for precision machining, the attached Excel chart will allow you to plot the X hi/lo-R chart. For more information on this chart, and why it is an important replacement for the X-bar-R chart for precision machining, see: Statistical process control for precision machining

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S World Quality Day 2019, November 14 - Build Quality Awareness in the organization ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Windows 10 OS build Software Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Help me build an Excel Spreadsheet for tracking training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
pinar77 VDA 6.3 - How can I build the process NTF? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
I Manufacturing build requests - process and form Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
I How to build a Microsoft Access MDB Database for Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M First Article Build (FAB) Process - Build and Test Aspects AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
quality1 Can a non AS9100 facility build a Aerospace product? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
O What is involved with witnessing an aerospace software build? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
L Build own Power Magnetic Field Test Equipment for IEC 61000-4-8 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
Q What are Box Build Processes? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Mikael How they build the largest ship Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
P Configuration Management for Build to Print Company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
D Cable Manufacturing Build Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Marc The US Manufacturing Exodus Continues - Chinese to build Cessna business jets World News 1
1 Stop Ship/Build or something like a Quality Alert template or procedure example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Production Trial Run Checklist or PV Build Checklist wanted APQP and PPAP 3
P Prototype Build Process per TS 16949 Clause 7.3.6.2 and APQP IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Z Does a Tooling Build or Design Benefit From TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Marc China to build buses that cars can drive under World News 20
V I want to build a career as an ISO Auditor - How to start Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M How to build a Document Control System from scratch Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L Work Instructions for One Time Tool Build - Tool and Die Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Books on How to Build Forms (Guidelines) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
L Can you help me build the perfect Quality Room? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 27
Q Procedure for New Product Introduction (NPI) - Build to print shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Quality Plan for ISO 9001-2000 - Assembly and Custom Build process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S How to Calculate BCS (Build To Customer Schedule) Metric? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T Control of Customer Supplied Material - Build to Print Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Machine Build Records Retention Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
S Do Product validation samples have to come from your PPAP build? APQP and PPAP 9
O Recomendations to build a complete quality management system - Documentation Way Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Marc Fiat and Ford forge car alliance to build a new car on the Panda platform World News 0
C Checking fixtures - How to build it and are its dimensions the same as the part? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Q In Need of Safety Advice - Design and build of a safety program Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
G How many hours does it take the big 4 to build an auto? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
L SPC: Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9