How to carry out 'Monitoring and measurement of processes' - Clause 8.2.3.

A

akalbulus

:bigwave: Hello guys,

Hi, i recently assigned as Management Representative Deputy on my company and i have difficulty to manage & apply the right method for 8.2.3 ISO 9001:2000 clause.

It is stated : "The organizationshall apply suitable methods for monitoring and,where applicable,measurement of the quality
management system processes.These methods shall demonstrate theability of the processes to achieve planned
results.When planned results are not achieved,correction and corrective action shall be taken,as appropriate,to
ensure conformity of the product.

Could you guys help me or maybe show me an example of how to do it?. I really appreciate it if you guys would attach me an example of document/check sheet of how to implement it.

Thanks a lot guys! :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: (8.2.3) Monitoring and measurement of processes

:Could you guys help me or maybe show me an example of how to do it?. I really appreciate it if you guys would attach me an example of document/check sheet of how to implement it.

Hello alkalbulus,

Search the links at the bottom of this page (scroll down).

Stijloor.

T

Ted Schmitt

Hi, i recently assigned as Management Representative Deputy on my company and i have difficulty to manage & apply the right method for 8.2.3 ISO 9001:2000 clause.

It is stated : "The organizationshall apply suitable methods for monitoring and,where applicable,measurement of the quality
management system processes.These methods shall demonstrate theability of the processes to achieve planned
results.When planned results are not achieved,correction and corrective action shall be taken,as appropriate,to

Could you guys help me or maybe show me an example of how to do it?. I really appreciate it if you guys would attach me an example of document/check sheet of how to implement it.

OK, first question :

1) Do you have your processes defined and mapped? (this mapping considers the interaction between them - a simple flow chart between the processes should be OK for now).

If your processes are defined and mapped then you are on a roll... Below is a very simplified example of 8.2.3

Quality Objective : Reduction of manufacturing costs
key Process involve : Machining
Key Process Indicator : % of rework
Indicator goal : max 5%
Indicator goal dealine : end of 2007

Let´s say that at the end of 2007, your % of rework is at 6,8%, then that´s where "When planned results are not achieved,correction and corrective action shall be taken,as appropriate, to ensure conformity of the product" comes into play.... This is where you will apply corrective actions so that you can reduce the reworking % down to 5%... take the actions and monitor the results... if these actions don´t reduce the reworking %, then the correct root cause was not determined...

Hope this helps !

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Typically, companies have stated that they use their objectives or internal audit system to measure their processes.
Other companies use SPC.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Stijloor is correct. There are some links at the bottom of this thread which have discussed this very topic before. They would be an excellent source for your questions. :agree1:

Typically, companies have stated that they use their objectives or internal audit system to measure their processes.
Other companies use SPC.
Okay, I'll bite...how are objectives to be used in the quest to monitor and measure processes? Personally, objectives are a way to help identify the processes which you wish to monitor and measure. But that is a very high-level measurment.

Internal audits merely assess conformance to requirements and are not really, in my opinion, a way to measure and monitor your processes...except at a high level.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Friends,

So interesting that this topic keeps popping up. Still a lot of confusion about objectives and measurements. I believe that sports teams do a heck of a better job in establishing objectives (to win) and measuring (scores) than some organizations that we work for or associated with. I keep up with football (NFL) and it always amazes me how clearly and conveniently the teams' and the players' performance statistics (historical and current) are maintained, presented, and analyzed. I believe that we can learn a lot from how this is done in sports.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Friends,

So interesting that this topic keeps popping up. Still a lot of confusion about objectives and measurements. I believe that sports teams do a heck of a better job in establishing objectives (to win) and measuring (scores) than some organizations that we work for or associated with. I keep up with football (NFL) and it always amazes me how clearly and conveniently the teams' and the players' performance statistics (historical and current) are maintained, presented, and analyzed. I believe that we can learn a lot from how this is done in sports.

Stijloor.
It will be as easy in business as it is in sports when the business goalposts stop moving.

A

akalbulus

OK, first question :

1) Do you have your processes defined and mapped? (this mapping considers the interaction between them - a simple flow chart between the processes should be OK for now).

If your processes are defined and mapped then you are on a roll... Below is a very simplified example of 8.2.3

Quality Objective : Reduction of manufacturing costs
key Process involve : Machining
Key Process Indicator : % of rework
Indicator goal : max 5%
Indicator goal dealine : end of 2007

Let´s say that at the end of 2007, your % of rework is at 6,8%, then that´s where "When planned results are not achieved,correction and corrective action shall be taken,as appropriate, to ensure conformity of the product" comes into play.... This is where you will apply corrective actions so that you can reduce the reworking % down to 5%... take the actions and monitor the results... if these actions don´t reduce the reworking %, then the correct root cause was not determined...

Hope this helps !
Oh yes we do have our processes defined and mapped. So, i guess i should give some recommendations to management in Management Review Meeting how to reduce the nonconformities that occurred in my company. Is this the right method?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

QCAce

Akalbulus,

Attached is a sample of a report I use from our assembly area. I think it summarizes an easy way to measure a process if you don't know how to get started.
Start by having your work areas (departments) begin recording nonconformances found each day. You can then chart the number of nonconformances found each day, week, month, etc., as a percentage of units produced.
Also note this method can also be used on office processes.

Good Luck.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Criteria and when to carry out Setup Approval Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Single or Multi site Internal Audits - Any difference in how to carry out? Internal Auditing 2
V How to carry out a Process Audit General Auditing Discussions 4
A PPAP for carry over (from an existing to a new model) components APQP and PPAP 4
P Who can carry out CQI-9 Assessments? CQI-9 Assessor Qualifications? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K ISO 9001:2008 Project Start - How to carry out a Gap Analysis? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P How to carry out Risk Analysis in a company with pastry products Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
somashekar The CE Certificate may no longer carry the CE Mark EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Product Requalification Test - Auditor want us to carry out IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
6 How to implement a functional system and carry out high quality internal Audit? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M TS Clause 7.6.3.2 - Can Non-Accreditated External Laboratory Carry out Calibration? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
S How to carry out Gage R&R for automatic machines? Automated Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
Z How to Carry Out ?Customer Focus? on All Parts of Management System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
A Action on Quality Records - Approve, Update and Carry Out Revision Control Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
L Is it necessary to carry out all the MSA studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E APQP on Current Production and Carry Over Parts APQP and PPAP 3
M Can external quality consultant carry out internal audit? Internal Auditing 17
S Competence (4.4.2) Records - Contractors who carry out skilled maintenance tasks Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
L Special Characteristics in DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Carry over to PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 9
Sidney Vianna Should products carry the certification marks? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
J Measurement Resolution - How far to carry the decimal place out Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
E Is it obligatory that only trained personel can carry out calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Cleanroom Differential Pressure Monitoring, frequent manual observation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
K Monitoring the identified side-effects and contraindications ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
C ISO 14001:2015 6.1.3 Compliance Obligations - Legal requirements monitoring ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
E Insulation diagram for ECG monitoring and diagnosis system. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
R Calibration lab environmental monitoring General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S User evaluation for self monitoring blood glucose test systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
qualprod Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
P IATF 16949 8.4.2.4 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Textiles needed for home monitoring device - any suggestions? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1