How To Choose A Good Consultant

J

jvasqu01

I was wondering if anyone had any referrence literature ( referrably online ) that delineates good practices for hiring a ISO consultants. :agree:

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Reference material? You don't need no stinkin' reference material. You call me! ;)

I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will give you some opinions here - and there are several threads where consultants are discussed. But - for some quickies, starting at http://Elsmar.com/Imp/sld100.htm there are several slides with some 'food for thought'.

E

energy

I was waiting!

Heck of a question to ask here!:bonk: I would have been honored to have Marc at my place. My cheapskates wanted somebody closer. We did it. Ask me if I'm a happy puppy!:mad: I hear the weather in Miami is fantastic. Almost like the Caymans :biglaugh: !jvas is an Engineer on a mission. jvas, I recommend the Cheech. If I had had got him, there would have been some serious as-k-cking going on around here and we would be farther along than we are now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
From my perspective, you need to have good interviewing skills and a good understanding of what it is you are hiring for. Hiring a consultant is the same as it is for hiring for any other position with a few other mitigating factors to consider (time to budget).

If you need to throw a dart, throw it Marc's way. Aside from getting a good consultant with a boat load of knowledge and know-how, you get wisdom and character to boot. The other peripherals, such as the Cove Forums also allow you to access him easily and from just about anywhere. This is pretty important to me for this fact. Our consultant (hired before I took employment) made 5 visits over 5 months and did a cursory review of documentation to the tune of $14,000. Easy money!! And as for getting my answers to my many questions: delayed phonecalls often received after I had figured it out for myself. Accessibility is a key NEED in my opinion.

Regards,

Kevin

E

energy

I know him!

Originally posted by Kevin Mader
Our consultant (hired before I took employment) made 5 visits over 5 months and did a cursory review of documentation to the tune of $14,000. Easy money!! And as for getting my answers to my many questions: delayed phonecalls often received after I had figured it out for myself. Accessibility is a key NEED in my opinion.
Regards,
Kevin
Kevin,

I think we got the same guy!:bonk: :vfunny: :smokin:

Marc

Staff member
Admin

Accessibility is a key NEED in my opinion.
This is also true of registrars.

> Our consultant (hired before I took employment) made 5
> visits over 5 months

Five 1 day visits or were they multi-day visits?

E

energy

You talking to me?

Originally posted by Marc
This is also true of registrars.

> Our consultant (hired before I took employment) made 5
> visits over 5 months

Five 1 day visits or were they multi-day visits?
So far, 3 one day visits....up front payments=13K+ with promise to stay to completion. Another 6 visits due:vfunny: Lots of telephone and e-mail correspondence. Faxed and e-mail files submitted for "approval":ko: :smokin:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Marc,

Each of the visits was a 1 day visit. I should clarify that I didn’t really need on site presence nearly as much as accessibility to them by phone or email. I was after feedback to documents and answers to questions more than on site presence to drive the program (my job after all).

Accessibility is the power of the Cove: a place for your clients to go beyond the length of the contract to ask questions and get answers. It is a place where the novice ISO coordinator/Management Rep can go to and gain confidence through extended learning and sharing. The management rep needs to be well versed on how the standard should be interpreted.

I agree with your point of accessibility of the registrar. As this relationship is typically longer (3+ years) perhaps additional screening might be appropriate.

On a side note: our registrar has a Q&A forum like the Cove. Unfortunately, it is not well monitored, moderated, and the format is less inviting. Anyone in Marketing would tell you, presentation is almost everything. And from a customer/user perspective, accessibility (availability and ease) are extremely important.

energy,

Sounds like if not the same group, the same deal anyway. Get your money's worth, best you can. Since I wasn't involved in the highering of our consultant, I never felt obligated to push for 'value'.

Regards,

Kevin

E

energy

Blast from the Past!

energy,
Sounds like if not the same group, the same deal anyway. Get your money's worth, best you can. Since I wasn't involved in the highering of our consultant, I never felt obligated to push for 'value'.
I cannot blame the Consultant today anymore than I could blame him when I posted this in another thread on April 26, 2001:

"David,

When you read this, you will find it very hard to believe. Believe me, I lived it. As I continued to get quotations from various consultants, we wanted a local consultant to reduce mileage/expenses (orders from on high), it appeared no one was seriously interested. Out of the blue, “on high” says to call this particular consultant. This is when it starts to get interesting. This consultant was utilized in the past when we were all together in a previous company. We never did our assignments, put all the responsibility on one person, did all the wrong things and never even got close for a gap assessment. Our company closed operations in our area and we all went on our merry ways. Now, we are back together again in a new “start up” company doing pretty much the same work that the old company did.

When I contacted this particular consultant, he finally made the connection between us and that other company who never gave a s—t. This was after I reminded him that we were a previous client under another name. We paid him in full in 4 months and continued to attend sessions for another 4 months, and someone pulled the plug. It didn’t matter because nobody contributed to the cause anyway. The main thing to remember is that the Executive decision maker is the same person, then, as we have now.

The consultant, in my opinion, did it right. Knowing our history, he emphasized teamwork, management commitment, etc. He got the CEO, not the decision maker here, to verbally commit and say those things to the troops that brings everyone together for a noble cause. The fact remains, he trusts the decision maker to call the shots, with full confidence.

No it’s not the consultant. This collection of personnel would challenge any consultant’s ability to get the job done. If the consultant did it all, his or herself, we would have a better chance. We went dirt cheap, hence the amount of homework assignments, and you get what you pay for.

The question is: Why didn’t they learn from the last time? The answer: They never had a clue the first time.

Now, you be nice to me. I’m a Project Manager, with no measurable authority, (Mgt. Rep, too) charged with managing a project that will probably go about 18 months-2 years, or never, due to lack of interest. Don’t weep for me. I find my solace here in the forum engaging charming personalities such as your self."

Update:
We are right where I thought we would be, in spite of the Consultant's assurance to our CEO that we would be ready for Registration by Easter.:biglaugh: Unless everybody begins to take this seriously, we will be lucky to get our first "Majors" in the Fall or later. Of course, I am being held responsible to ensure that the projected milestone plan remains on schedule. "I want names. You have my support" if we start to fall behind schedule. The consultant has received his last check, so let's take it from here. Maybe, now, he will say it like it is. :bonk: :smokin:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Other Resources On The net

The implementation / consulting business is weird. It's not rocket science, obviously. The problem is it can be hard to agree on what is needed, who will do what and such. I have had clients like Harley and Motorola who wanted me there just about every day. Those were big jobs, but I have also had smaller clients who wanted the same. That's why I addressed a number of related issues in the implementation files (see above link).

That is one thing that makes it hard to quote. Some want you to write all their documentation whilst some want 'guidance' for the most part. Most aren't sure what they want - except cheap.

With one major client it got real interesting. Their system requires specific 'deliverables' to be stated on the purchase order. 'Consulting Services' was not acceptable. As I told them - you figure out what you want and write it out. The paradigm was the PO had to address specifics - which is more applicable to parts. To be honest, I can't even remember what exact words we finally agreed upon, but basically it ended up reading "...consulting services as needed..."

Other posts in this thread address failure modes quite well so I'll leave out other related comments.

I must say I don't really see forums like this one as an acceptable alturnative to person-to-person if only by phone. These forums are nice for many people but each company is so different.

Anyway, as to the original question: "...Other Resources On The net..." I would recommend just doing a Google or Dogpile Search for ISO 9000 or ISO 9001 and consultant as key words. There's probably a thousand or more sites that consultants have put up but I know of no independent site(s) that specifically address what to look for in a consultant.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
A Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable? Using Minitab Software 3
R Which Notified Body to Choose in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D How to choose an EU Authorized Representative for a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
JoCam Choose Medical Device Distributors prior to Device Registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
P New Part - How to choose what needs GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Inspection Plans - How to choose AQL (MIL STD 105E) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
S Which Torque Meter do I choose based on CpK studies ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M How to Choose the Best Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
A Which Certification Body (CB) to Choose Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
G Hey Auditors, When do you choose to fly? Internal Auditing 10
C Can we choose to not allow auditor back on site? Conflict of Interest? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
B What Measurement Tool to Choose for Plastic and Metal Parts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Z Interviewing an External Auditor? Choose a Registrar for ISO 9001 Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 30
H Which OHSMS standard to choose? ILO? ANSI? CSA? BS? OHSAS? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
ScottK How to choose professional references when applying for a job? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
R How to choose constants when sample size larger than 25? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S MIL-STD-1916 vs MIL-STD-105E, which do you choose? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
W How to choose the correct General Inspection Level & AQL level...? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
M Bevel Protractor - Which one to choose? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M How many parts do I choose for an MSA (Measurement System Analysis)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
T Can we pick and choose areas of operation to claim ISO9001 Compliance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Marc Free Streaming Music - Choose the songs you want After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
A VSM - Should I sum up the inventory? Which C/T to choose? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T Internal Auditing - ISO 9001 auditing vs. FDA CFR auditing - Which to choose? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Which CB (registrar) to choose for ISO 9001 registration?? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
samer How to choose the right Certification Body (Registrar)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 33
SteelMaiden Which Safety Registration Program to Choose? OHSAS 18001? Z10? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 36
D How to choose Samples for a Gage R&R (GR&R) study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 25
C Why did you not choose mechanical engineering? Interview Question Career and Occupation Discussions 6
C Career Change Question - Why did you choose Quality Engineer as starting job? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R How to choose samples for Gage R&R - Micrometer to check tube thickness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
L Useful Foreign Languages - Which 'foreign' language would you choose? Career and Occupation Discussions 54
H Company Wants To Pick and Choose what Customers to apply the QMS to ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
V Is there any Criteria to choose samples for R&R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A You can only choose one Rock n' Roll album to save Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 46
E Consultant with Office 365 experience Consultants and Consulting 2
D Automotive Hospitality Consultant Career and Occupation Discussions 11
L AS 9100 D consultant in Delhi, India AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
S MDR consultants - in search of recommendations for a consultant for MDR transition. Paid Consulting, Training and Services 7
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
L ISO 13485 5.5.2 - Can a consultant be our Management Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Clinical Evaluation Report - Consultant Recommendations Consultants and Consulting 9
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
N Is consultant prohibited in ISO9001 audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 66
N Is ISO14001 consultant allowed to attend ISO14001 audit? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 17