How to choose the correct General Inspection Level & AQL level...?

W

Wesley Lai

I hope somebody can help me out with this main question:"How to choose the correct General Inspection Level & AQL level and what is the reliability of the outcome?"

We do many inspections by General Inspection Level II + AQL 2.5. Only knowing that this standard is commonly used.

Correct me if I am wrong. AQL 2.5 means that we can accept a defect rate of 2.5%, which means 97.5% of the goods are non defect.

And by choosing General Inspection Level II, means doing a sample inspection and the result compared with the AQL table will determine rejection or acceptance of the goods. What is the reliability of the decision based on these statistics?

Let's say, I do non destructive tests on a batch of 151-280pcs. I choose to accept AQL level 1.0. My test results should be 95% accurate/reliable. Which General Inspection Level must I choose?

Looking forward to have your opinion.

Thanks in advance~!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
Hi Wesley, and welcome to the Elsmar Cove. :bigwave:

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question. The Z1.4 (formerly known as MIL-STD-105) sampling plans are not based on specific statistical criteria.

The AQL level is a defect rate that will usually get accepted. So if your have AQL = 2.5, then lots with 2.5% defective will probably get accepted. (The probability depends on all sorts of factors. For normal inspection, the number is typically around 95%, it can be from roughly 90-98% as I recall). The batches have to be much worse (typically 3-10 times worse) before you can be moderately sure of rejecting them.

The only real way to judge the sampliong plans is to look directly at the OC curves and tables at teh back of the standard.

"a batch of 151-280pcs...AQL level 1.0 ... 95% accurate/reliable. Which General Inspection Level must I choose?"

For a given AQL, you can look up all the different sampling plans, then find the defect rate that will be accepted 95% of the time and the defect rate that will be rejected 95% of the time.

CODE..SAMPLE...AC..RE...95%......95%
..........SIZE................ACCEPT.REJECT
E.........13..........0....1...0.394....20.6
H.........50..........1....2...0.715....9.14
J..........80..........2...3....1.03.....7.66
K.........125.........3...4....1.09.....6.20
L.........200.........5....6...1.31.....5.26

For your example, the only sample sizes you would get for a batch of 151-280 are 50 (Level II & III) or 13 (all the other Levels)
for normal inspection. That doesn't give you very much flexibility!

Another option is to design you own sampling plan. Select the defect rate you will accept 95% of the time, the defect rate you will reject 95% of hte time, adn find a sampling plan that will work for your needs.

Tim F

G

gglntn

Concerning AQL, we use 1 gallon plastic bottles to package product. Currently bottles are simply brought in the door with no incoming inspection, sent to the production floor, and used, generally within 24 - 48 hours. During production, as the operator manually puts the bottles on the conveyor belt leading to the fill station, (S)He inspects each one for defects, debris, etc. Defective bottles are immediatlely counted and discarded.

Should QA be doing incoming inspection, and if so, how would we go about chosing an accept/reject level for the lot, knowing that further down the line bottles will be 100% inspected by the production operator.

Why would be ned to develop an AQL to reject the lot? All that would do would be to add an additional step. Thnx

D

davidzhao

AQL is related to you and your supplier also.Let's say AQL was set to 1.0,if the vendor's quality level is 5%(reject ratio),you'll not get approval of inwards.
So when you set the AQL,check how much failure you can accept(normally the failure will be graded as A,B,C etc which related to safe/regulator,function/dimension,appearance,etc), and check with vendor where vendor is. If vendor can not meet the AQL you set and you insist on that,need vendor do 100%inspection before deliver.
As long you have a inspect station(visually) on site,you can accept more which kind of failure will be caught up by inspector.
Any way,it's related to your company, and also your vendor,and it's active and will be updated when things improved.

R

Renaud

I agree with Tim's response.
To complement it: about your sentence "by choosing General Inspection Level II, means doing a sample inspection and the result compared with the AQL table will determine rejection or acceptance of the goods":
The general inspection level II is what the norm calls the "normal" level. If you go to a reduced (I) or tightened (III) level, the discriminatory ability of your inspection will be different. You can switch to one of these levels if you have strong hints--one way or another--about the quality level (e.g. if the same supplier's goods were rejected more than twice over the last 5 inspections, you should go to level III.
I hope it helps.

SteveK

Trusted Information Resource
In the past for plastic moulding etc the AQL level allowed different AQLs for different defect levels i.e. Critical (e.g. 0.65), Major (e.g. 2.5), Minor (e.g. 6.5). This miight give you some extra flexibility, depending on how you classify the defects. Or am I just complicating matters?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
A Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable? Using Minitab Software 3
R Which Notified Body to Choose in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D How to choose an EU Authorized Representative for a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
JoCam Choose Medical Device Distributors prior to Device Registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
P New Part - How to choose what needs GRR (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Inspection Plans - How to choose AQL (MIL STD 105E) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
S Which Torque Meter do I choose based on CpK studies ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M How to Choose the Best Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
A Which Certification Body (CB) to Choose Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
G Hey Auditors, When do you choose to fly? Internal Auditing 10
C Can we choose to not allow auditor back on site? Conflict of Interest? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
B What Measurement Tool to Choose for Plastic and Metal Parts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Z Interviewing an External Auditor? Choose a Registrar for ISO 9001 Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 30
H Which OHSMS standard to choose? ILO? ANSI? CSA? BS? OHSAS? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
ScottK How to choose professional references when applying for a job? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
R How to choose constants when sample size larger than 25? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S MIL-STD-1916 vs MIL-STD-105E, which do you choose? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
M Bevel Protractor - Which one to choose? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M How many parts do I choose for an MSA (Measurement System Analysis)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
T Can we pick and choose areas of operation to claim ISO9001 Compliance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Marc Free Streaming Music - Choose the songs you want After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
A VSM - Should I sum up the inventory? Which C/T to choose? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T Internal Auditing - ISO 9001 auditing vs. FDA CFR auditing - Which to choose? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Which CB (registrar) to choose for ISO 9001 registration?? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
samer How to choose the right Certification Body (Registrar)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 33
SteelMaiden Which Safety Registration Program to Choose? OHSAS 18001? Z10? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 36
D How to choose Samples for a Gage R&R (GR&R) study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 25
C Why did you not choose mechanical engineering? Interview Question Career and Occupation Discussions 6
C Career Change Question - Why did you choose Quality Engineer as starting job? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R How to choose samples for Gage R&R - Micrometer to check tube thickness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
L Useful Foreign Languages - Which 'foreign' language would you choose? Career and Occupation Discussions 54
H Company Wants To Pick and Choose what Customers to apply the QMS to ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
V Is there any Criteria to choose samples for R&R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A You can only choose one Rock n' Roll album to save Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 46
J How To Choose A Good Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
R What is the correct way to refer to NIST? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M NANDO codes of products - These are not the GMDN codes, correct? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K The correct way of doing a 2 Sample T test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
B PED 2014/68/EU - Is this Traceability audit finding correct? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
K Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles General Auditing Discussions 15
JoshuaFroud How important is using the "correct" GMDN? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
M Specifications Aerospace - Who is responsible for providing the correct specification(s) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
supadrai OEM Changing the name of the manufacturer - length of process? Is 1-3 months correct? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J How long should I have to correct an audit finding? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
E SPC for Dummies - The correct meaning of all the graphs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C UDI Label Verification - How do we ensure the barcode is correct and prove it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4