How to classify this computer-alike IT device

LievenDW

Involved In Discussions
The device is a computer-alike IT product, certified to IEC60950. It is brought on the market with factory-installed software with medical device functionality.

How would you categorize this product? Is the complete product a medical device because of the software functionality? Yet it is not certified to the medical harmonized standards. Or is the software a medical device on its own? Yet it is embedded, and hence is not a standalone software....

You see, I'm puzzled. Would appreciate some good ideas.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
The device is a computer-alike IT product, certified to IEC60950. It is brought on the market with factory-installed software with medical device functionality.

How would you categorize this product? Is the complete product a medical device because of the software functionality? Yet it is not certified to the medical harmonized standards. Or is the software a medical device on its own? Yet it is embedded, and hence is not a standalone software....

You see, I'm puzzled. Would appreciate some good ideas.
Upfront, it’s quite hard to say while knowing so little about this product. But I’ll give it a go.

What makes this product different from an “ordinary” computer? Are there hardware differences?

Can the software be removed by the user, or are there reasonable safeguards against it?

Can other software be installed and used on the “computer”, or are there reasonable safeguards against it?

If the answers are “no” and “no” (ie they can’t), I think that it’s a truly integrated device; the software is not stand-alone; and if indeed the use meets the medical device definition, the device (hardware+software) as a whole has to comply, perhaps meet IEC 60601.

Otherwise this can be seen as a “system” - 2 separate products sold together and meant to be used together; or, in the extreme, as two separate products, where one might be considered a medical device and the other not (I suppose in that case the software should be treated as stand alone, and it already being installed considered a matter of convenience / good service).

But again, it’s hard to tell without seeing much of it (I’m happy to receive a PM if you’re concerned about confidentiality).

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
Q Do you classify applied parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Device Classification - India CDCSO - How to classify the device? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Example for Accessories of "Annex XVI non-medical devices" and how to classify it now with respect ot EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
O Which part of ISO 14644 describe how can I classify cleanrooms between them? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
C How to Classify a Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
W Let's play... Classify My Medical Device!!! EU Medical Device Regulations 15
A How does Japan PMDA classify Medical Devices - Classification Guidelines Japan Medical Device Regulations 6
M Is it necessary to classify nonconformance as minor, major, observations in an IQA? Internal Auditing 18
E How do you classify Contact Lenses ? Non-invasive, Invasive or Surgically Invasive? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
I How do you classify/name your CAR (Corrective Action) types? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
G How to classify maintenance level of equipments? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Would you classify this as a concession? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A How many ways do you classify your scrap? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
S Computer System Validation of Bioinformatics Pipeline Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Implanted Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) Devices for Patients with Paralysis or Amputation – Non-clinical Testing and Clinical Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F EMC testing for a system that is provided with a computer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Use of password managers on validated computer systems (21 CFR Part 11) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
U CE Marking of Customized Ruggedised Computer Systems Solutions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Computer Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Computer stations unlocked - Office Stations vs Production Stations Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
howste ASQ is Transitioning to Computer Based Exams ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
R Network/Computer Data Migration Sampling GMP Software Quality Assurance 1
E Computer System Validation - Migrating to SAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D SDS (MSDS) for complex products such as a TV, computer, cars, etc Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
N Computer System Access and Security Procedure example wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q The ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Strategy to allow for OTS computer use as part of a Medical Equipment System EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Validation of Computer and Network Equipment Test System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement (Computer Software) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Computer System for Inspection Balloons in Technical Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Class II Medical Device with Software - Change to Computer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Is a computer used in hospitals considered a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
Marc Shopping for Computer Spyware After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Q 21 CFR 820.30 - Automated with Computer Software - Applicable? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Options for OTS Computer as part of Medical Equipment System IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
A Is Computer Helpdesk a Special Process ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Computer Viruses Are "Rampant" on Medical Devices in Hospitals World News 0
I Confirmation of Computer Software to satisfy Intended Application Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
N Complying with ISO 9001 7.6 - Customer Provided Computer and Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Gages on Computer Screens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Life after the Personal Computer After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
A Suggest Computer Aided Quality Assurance (CAQ) software for Medical Devices Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
F Traceability Requirements for Computer Hardware Equipment under ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Computer Monitoring - Our company is implementing keyloggers IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 11
X Computer-Aided Detection for Mammography - Class A, B or C? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5