How to close the circle QMS and ECO (Engineering Change Order)?

Q

QAMTY

Hello to all

I want to share a question regarding how to ensure changes are
validated.

For Example in Design and development 7.3
Covers the design revision, verification and validation
under these points it is possible to close the circle form the start to the end.

But I wonder in ECO´s where this circle is closed?, I mean, where can be validated the change, because in most of the ECo´s procedure, mainly are focused in the control of the document and I think in this document it should not be included the verification.Will be needed other control, other document for this verification, as to how to close the circle?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
<snip> But I wonder in ECO´s where this circle is closed?, I mean, where can be validated the change, because in most of the ECo´s procedure, mainly are focused in the control of the document and I think in this document it should not be included the verification.Will be needed other control, other document for this verification, as to how to close the circle?

Thanks
Typically Engineering Change Orders are closed after the change has been implemented and the output is validated in the same way as it was in the design and development stage.

Some of the others here may have things to add.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Typically Engineering Change Orders are closed after the change has been implemented and the output is validated in the same way as it was in the design and development stage.

Some of the others here may have things to add.
This is one of those areas where documents are confused with processes. Strictly speaking, an ECO is the former and not the latter. In my experience, ECOs are issued after the validation has taken place--it's the end of the process that formally establishes the change as the new configuration.

In various places, there will be different processes and names for the documents. I've seen:
  • ECR (Engineering Change Request), a proposal for an engineering change;
  • ECO (Engineering Change Order) a document that serves as a record of an engineering change;
  • ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Sometimes used as synonymous with ECO but is sometimes a separate document that serves as an announcement or notification of the change.
There's usually not an issue with "closing" an ECO because it's generally a document that serves as formal notification of a configuration change. The change process itself shouldn't be finalized until it's reasonably certain that the change in question was executed effectively.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Good point, Jim. I was thinking of the entire engineering change process - Start to Finish.

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
This is one of those areas where documents are confused with processes. Strictly speaking, an ECO is the former and not the latter. In my experience, ECOs are issued after the validation has taken place--it's the end of the process that formally establishes the change as the new configuration.

In various places, there will be different processes and names for the documents. I've seen:
  • ECR (Engineering Change Request), a proposal for an engineering change;
  • ECO (Engineering Change Order) a document that serves as a record of an engineering change;
  • ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Sometimes used as synonymous with ECO but is sometimes a separate document that serves as an announcement or notification of the change.
There's usually not an issue with "closing" an ECO because it's generally a document that serves as formal notification of a configuration change. The change process itself shouldn't be finalized until it's reasonably certain that the change in question was executed effectively.
one clarification in this regard...
we in pharma follow change control(management) procedure;
which essentially is the combination of proposal-justification-evaluation-approval-verification/validation-closure.

1) as explained above, can i consider combination of ECR-ECO-ECN as equivalent to CC?
2) or shall i understand the CC is actually ECR ; and upon approval-validation-verification it shall lead to ECO&ECN?

thank you for clarification.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Informational FDA Preps for Device Shortages as Another Sterilization Facility Will Close Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S FDA Inspections and Pest Control - Pallets too close to walls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
S When a deviation is opened but what does it mean to close a deviation? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S How to Politely Close out a Nuisance Customer Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
E Best Ways to Close a Project APQP and PPAP 3
Proud Liberal How long does your company take to close an 8D on average? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
S Why is it so hard to close out the CAPAs ? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
J KPI for time to close NCs (Nonconformances) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
P Can the Auditor close down the Corrective Actions? Internal Auditing 12
J European Laboratories which can do IEC/EN 60601-2-50 Testing? (Close to Turkey) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Drilling Close Tolerance Holes - Advice needed on Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Q Can I close a Complaint with only a Remedial Action? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A How long does it take US FDA to issue a Warning Letter Close Out Letter Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A To CAPA or not to CAPA? Requirement to close our Corrective Actions before Audit? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
S Corrective Action Audit Form to close a CAR Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T TS 16949 Major CA Close Out Visit - What can the auditor look at? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Health Canada Device Classification - Close-off clip for use with a tubing set Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
S Corrective Action and Reporting using a High-Low-Close chart in Excel Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
K Never been this close to a plane crash... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
T Training in or close to Toronto - Root Cause Analysis, Value Stream Mapping, SPC Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 0
J Close relationships with customers? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 6
R Valid Date to Close Internal Audit Non-conformance Internal Auditing 1
Marc Delphi to close, sell most plants under deal World News 0
Marc DaimlerChrysler Plans to Cut 10,000 Jobs, Close Plants World News 4
K When to Close a Corrective Action Report? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 31
Wes Bucey Aren't we a little old to believe in fairy tales? Whirlpool to close Maytag plants World News 13
Marc RadioShack to close up to 700 stores World News 8
C How long should you have to close out a major TS 16949 audit finding? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Gage pin clearance on close tolerance - Hole size is ?.8746 ? .0001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Marc Ford likely to close five North American plants World News 3
B Quality and Health & Safety. How close is this link? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S Shiny new CAPA system! - Easy way to close the old one? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
P ISO 13485:2003 6.4 vs 7.5.1.2.1 - For me these paragraphs are very close ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Repeated tests reproducibility - Regression line is close and good Bland Altman plots Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
T TQM (Total Quality Management) Team Close Out Process Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
A Can we close an audit NCR by not taking any action? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
S Failure to Close Out an Internal Audit Finding Internal Auditing 20
F Definition Reasonable - Defining a Reasonable Amount of Time Close Out CPAR's Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
S Install a CMM close to a vibration area General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D Approval of FDIS ISO 9001:2000 - They've ordered a re-count - Too close to call ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Measuring a circle's profile Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Tab to circle True Position? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
V What is a Quality Circle? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M Implementation of Quality Circle Proposals? Teams are getting resistance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
N Quality Circle - What are the circle activities / steps Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
hogheavenfarm Does "Diameter" Automatically Imply "Circle"? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4