How to collect complaint data from customers

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone,

As a part of my job as a Quality head management, I am having really difficulties in following up with customers when receiving a claim.
The issue is that when you ask your customer about information regarding his claim, in order to collect all possible information / Data , so that you could be able to trace and detect the root cause of his problem (which is not easy at all in case your customer is not fully cooperative ( or less aware)).

Our usual case , is that Sales department (through CS) contact the customer and ask for specific information, and it keeps going on emails between the two sides, till I receive the full information from Sales department about the customer claim, which I found it totally ineffective & time-wasted.

So, I thought to use a unified excel form, that will be having all needed information that we would need to ask our customers for, in case of receiving a claim, which will also ease the workflow of our claim information collection, but when I suggested this form to our Sales department, they told me that customer WILL NOT fill this form and they will ignore it, they usually just send the photo of the defect and that's.
So, I want to know your thoughts about this issue, how do you manage it in your way? how do you collect your data? and if I was able to spread this form, how do manage the customers to stick on it?

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Making it more difficult for your Customer or process a claim that they are entitled to NEVER works.

My organization has all of our instrumentation fully connected to the internet. we get patient results, error codes, images and run logs. We KNOW when a product has a performance problem. We even have tons of data that can help us narrow down the list of potential causes but we can't get to cause until we can recreate the failure in house and perform the appropriate causal analyses. We've tried (in the old days) to have our Customers keep logs - they don't. we try to ask diagnostic questions on the phone - most aren't interested. We have a policy that our Customers shouldn't be helping us to solve our problems. The only thing that actually works is to recreate the failures in house. There is no magic, there is no shortcut, the answer isn't in the Customer data, it's in the parts. you have to get the parts back and/or use your own parts and operate them under Customer use conditions to recreate and diagnose the failure. I've worked in a lot of industries and I have found this to be a universal truth.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Making it more difficult for your Customer or process a claim that they are entitled to NEVER works.
Exactly. You just make an annoyed and aggravated customer even more pissed off.
My organization has all of our instrumentation fully connected to the internet. we get patient results, error codes, images and run logs.
That's data nirvana. But not everyone can get around data privacy laws. I am sure your organization has found ways to make that private data transferable and secure, but not everyone would be able to do so, without HUGE legal exposure.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...My organization has all of our instrumentation fully connected to the internet. we get patient results, error codes, images and run logs. We KNOW when a product has a performance problem. ...
:topic:
Hi Bev, given you use the term "patient", I presume you are in the medical device sector?
Very curious: how do you deal with patient data confidentiality? We'd love to automatically collect usage data, but are very concerned about the potential legal ramifications. Do you have any links (or citations) to documentation / regulations that could offer some advice / guidance on how to implement automatic data collection from devices in the field that mitigates any legal liabilities?

but when I suggested this form to our Sales department, they told me that customer WILL NOT fill this form and they will ignore it, they usually just send the photo of the defect and that's.
Is that what YOU asked them (the Sales people) to have the customer do? Or is it simply the "spin" the Sales people are putting on it? It is a rare case that Sales folks like to deal with the negativity of customer feedback might be stimulating this response. Of course, the customer won't want to fill out any forms. If the next thing is getting Sales folks to do it, then, no, they won't want to do that either.

As Bev says, the customer shouldn't be fault finding for you. I'd be taking a close look at the product verification and validation processes you have in place...

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
... We've tried (in the old days) to have our Customers keep logs - they don't. we try to ask diagnostic questions on the phone - most aren't interested. We have a policy that our Customers shouldn't be helping us to solve our problems. ...
While I agree that burdening customers is unproductive, I do understand the challenge. In my experience it is often difficult to get even the most preliminary details from customers, so that a reasonable assessment can be made as to what actions are appropriate.
For example, we operate in the medical device sector, and for reportability purposes, we always want to ascertain: was anybody hurt, is there a probability that someone could have been harmed?
Frustratingly, even this basic information can be difficult to obtain (though, in fairness, often the person contacting us is not the person directly involved in the event e.g. it'll be a hospital administrator complaining on behalf of a clinician).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's data nirvana. But not everyone can get around data privacy laws. I am sure your organization has found ways to make that private data transferable and secure, but not everyone would be able to do so, without HUGE legal exposure.
well our patients are companion animals :) but yes we do have incredible security and the patient's "mom and dad" information is extremely secure.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi Bev, given you use the term "patient", I presume you are in the medical device sector?
Very curious: how do you deal with patient data confidentiality? We'd love to automatically collect usage data, but are very concerned about the potential legal ramifications. Do you have any links (or citations) to documentation / regulations that could offer some advice / guidance on how to implement automatic data collection from devices in the field that mitigates any legal liabilities?
It's proprietary. It is a brave new world and you need to navigate it correctly and cautiously. we are extremely sensitive to privacy concerns about the data. My point in stating that we have tons of data is that even with that objective data we cant' solve product performance problems with it alone. we STILL need to bring to recreate the problem in house to diagnose it. data streams are not the answer. they are really only a signal that something is wrong.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions

My organization has all of our instrumentation fully connected to the internet. we get patient results, error codes, images and run logs. We KNOW when a product has a performance problem. We even have tons of data that can help us narrow down the list of potential causes but we can't get to cause until we can recreate the failure in house and perform the appropriate causal analyses. We've tried (in the old days) to have our Customers keep logs - they don't. we try to ask diagnostic questions on the phone - most aren't interested. We have a policy that our Customers shouldn't be helping us to solve our problems. The only thing that actually works is to recreate the failures in house. There is no magic, there is no shortcut, the answer isn't in the Customer data, it's in the parts. you have to get the parts back and/or use your own parts and operate them under Customer use conditions to recreate and diagnose the failure. I've worked in a lot of industries and I have found this to be a universal truth.
I understand your situation in your working firm, but this would highly depend on your production process and your manufacturing product , the situation in our industry is different, and customers should feedback with number of defects? lot number? defected color?..etc , these parameters are very important for our analysis, not saying we are asking them for help..rather we are ''more open to listen for needing to help'' , see the difference?.
Simply, if you were a Doctor and a patient came to you complaining from pain in his belly, wouldn't you ask him questions in order to recognize his pain? ..it's just similar.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L SPC - Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M SPC - What Data do I Collect? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Is this an IDE or not? Helping a doctor collect and analyze data Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H What information do I need to collect when conducting 2nd party audit? General Auditing Discussions 6
J Web based Database to Collect and Evaluate 5S Audit Results, Trends, Charts Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
S Attrition Procedure for IT to Disable Network Accounts and Collect Equipment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q Torque Wrench Issue - Incorrect method to collect the "as found data" Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
D How to collect customer complaints/dissatisfactions during development phase? Customer Complaints 6
ScottK Does anyone else here Read and/or Collect Comic Books? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
R Looking for Advice on ways to collect Inspection Data Electronically Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
C Do you still collect hard copies of objective evidence when auditing? General Auditing Discussions 20
M ISO 13485:2016 Complaint Definition Clarity Customer Complaints 2
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Requirements for Complaint Files - Distributed Goods Customer Complaints 3
S Is any dissatisfaction over a Medical Device considered as a complaint? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Complaint alert levels - Industry standards pertaining to alert levels for complaints Customer Complaints 5
B Procedures for Complaint Handling and Post Market Surveillance EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J KPIs or Metrics to Measure a New Complaint Handling Process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
R Does an RMA = a Customer Complaint Customer Complaints 4
G Customer complaint over a Reference Dimension Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Z Security for Approvals - Cloud based Complaint, NC, and CAPA systems Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
E Is there an Automotive Customer Complaint Index? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R In a software development company: Is every bug reported by the customer a complaint? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
E Corrective Action or Customer Complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Decontamination responsibility on customer complaint investigation Customer Complaints 4
N Possibly worlds first customer service complaint Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
A What is a Customer Complaint? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S What is the difference between a service request and a complaint? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J FDA definition of a complaint - Customer orders spare parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R 510(k) - Finished Test Reports - RTA - Bit of a Complaint 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
P Customer Complaint Definition - Food Distributor Customer Complaints 5
J Using Complaint Rate to Update FMEA P.O.C ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
C Complaint Training - FDA - How to recognize complaints and what actions to take 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Complaint Handling Responsibilities for a Design Partner - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Merging Post Market Surveillance and Complaint Handling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Customer Complaint - Samples vs. Removal - FDA Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Retention Requirements of Complaint Medical Devices Customer Complaints 2
C Web based Complaint Software which interfaces with our Enovia system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
Moncia Complaint / Non-Conforming Product / CAPA Procedures - Please share your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Moncia Customer Complaint Procedure example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Medical Device Malfunction - Customer Complaint - Response vs. Correction Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J ISO 13485 Complaints (what is a complaint) Customer Complaints 5
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
T PPAP - Complaint from a Tier One customer concerning Product Dimension IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
M Using a Complaint Management Software (Medical Device companies) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2