How to collect customer complaints/dissatisfactions during development phase?

D

dkriket1

Hello,

I am currently working on a SOP defining how to handle customer complaints during development phase.
At this stage, we design a product and produce "prototype" parts to validate the design (not the production process yet). These parts are not marketable. During this phase, we can deliver a small quantity of parts to our customer for his own testing.

I am looking for a way to record all customer complaints/dissatisfactions. First idea was to join, for each product delivery, a template to the customer in case he has concerns with the delivery. But during development phase, this "solution" would not cover all potential dissatisfactions like e.g. dissatisfaction with regard to the planning, documentation and support provided, etc.

Within the project, several people may be in contact with the customer (Technical people, Quality, Project Manager, Sales, Marketing, etc.). That means that several people can receive an e-mail or a phone call from a dissatisfied customer.
Second idea was then to give access to customer to a kind of "complaint form" he could access via our internet site, to ensure that all complaints are addressed to only one person but customer may not wish to connect on this website each time he could be dissatisfied!

To sum up, my need is to find a way to receive all customer dissatisfactions related to development of a product. Our reference standards/regulations are ISO 9001, ISO 15378, ISO 13485 & 21CFR820.
Thanks!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello,

I am currently working on a SOP defining how to handle customer complaints during development phase.
At this stage, we design a product and produce "prototype" parts to validate the design (not the production process yet). These parts are not marketable. During this phase, we can deliver a small quantity of parts to our customer for his own testing.

I am looking for a way to record all customer complaints/dissatisfactions. First idea was to join, for each product delivery, a template to the customer in case he has concerns with the delivery. But during development phase, this "solution" would not cover all potential dissatisfactions like e.g. dissatisfaction with regard to the planning, documentation and support provided, etc.

Within the project, several people may be in contact with the customer (Technical people, Quality, Project Manager, Sales, Marketing, etc.). That means that several people can receive an e-mail or a phone call from a dissatisfied customer.
Second idea was then to give access to customer to a kind of "complaint form" he could access via our internet site, to ensure that all complaints are addressed to only one person but customer may not wish to connect on this website each time he could be dissatisfied!

To sum up, my need is to find a way to receive all customer dissatisfactions related to development of a product. Our reference standards/regulations are ISO 9001, ISO 15378, ISO 13485 & 21CFR820.
Thanks!

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave::bigwave:

Because you're still in the development phase and specific requirements may still being worked on,
why don't you call this simply: "Customer Feedback?"

Stijloor.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Because you're still in the development phase and specific requirements may still being worked on, why don't you call this simply: "Customer Feedback?"

Exactly! How you collect and record these feedbacks is up to you but these valuable information should go back as design input for the next design cycle.

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Hello,

Thanks!

I think you need to categorize the different types of feedback first. Issues related directly to the product in development shouldn't be going to a customer service person who's used to dealing with delivery issues. You need to develop a single point of contact for each type of issue, and control the way that issues are documented (using a controlled form, for example). If a customer calls a sales person and complains about a specific issue with the problem, the sales person should transfer the call to the person who can actually address the issue and record it properly. Your customer(s) should be given the contact information for each type of issue--pricing questions go to sales, product questions go to engineering, etc.

S

sixsigmais

Yes, it is better to make it as "customer feedback". The second idea sure is better for your company but it can only works if all your customer agree to visit your company website. However, it is hard to require "customer" to do this kind of work for you.

Normally, there are many communication during the development stage. And it might involved many department or person as per mentioned. It will be better if the concern member get the cc copy, and the person incharge on collectiong "customer feedback" can summarise the feedback from the email. The summary can be filled into the form you created, and attach the emails if possible

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hello,

Thanks!
Why are you working on a SOP defining how to handle customer complaints during development phase ?
As said by Stijloor and Harry what you get in this phase is refinement and clarity of inputs from customer. Is there a complaint about you not taking his feedback into design in the way the customer desires .. ? If so then it is a case of inadequate customer communication (7.2.3 of ISO 13485), for which you address and implement effective communication arrangements.
For the rest your 7.1 or 7.3 procedures could be addressing.
You are in a phase when most of the stuff that comes to you from customer is information and not complaint and hence do not look at them as a complaint and get distracted from development to corrective action procedures.
While 8.2.1 per ISo 9001 is customer perception of you meeting his requirements, in the ISo 13485 it is feedback system with a view to gain experience from post production phase to effectively address the corrective and preventive action process.

Last edited:
C

Citizen Kane

Hi !

The relationship with our customer and the complains are handled by our PQMs (Project Quality Managers) allocated to each project. So, they are not just a simple resource for the PM, but together responsible with the PM.

We have installed a common interface/specific module in SAP between us and the customers - so, each complain comes to us dirrectly.

I think this allows a direct and on time communication of the complains.

Top Bottom