How to comply with 4.4.5 Contol of Documents - Documents of External Origion

G

geokansas

Can anybody give me examples of how to comply with 4.4.5 Contol of Documents, f) ensure that documents of external origion determined by the organization to be necessary for the planning and operation of the environmental managemennt system are identified and their distribution controlled.:(

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Documents of external origion

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

What industry do you serve? Standards can be found in organizations that focus in industries by trade. American National Standards Institute (ANSI) breaks them down by trade.

What does your customer ask for?

Do you register to automotive, aerospace or other standards? These standards often reference requirements to adhere to industry-specific documents such as AIAG's MSA Manual, PPAP, APQP and FMEA Manuals.

So that's how to determine what you need. Controlling distribution can be as simple as keeping a list of who receives the documents so you can show they have all been updated as the documents get revised.

I hope this helps!

G

geokansas

I am preparing for a ISO 14001 certification audit. Ammunition industry. I can not get my hands around what a document of external origion is. Code pf Federal Regulations, state regulations?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I am preparing for a ISO 14001 certification audit. Ammunition industry. I can not get my hands around what a document of external origin is. Code pf Federal Regulations, state regulations?

Simply, a "document of external origin" is any information source that you use in your environmental management system but not produced by your organization.

Examples are technical specs, standards, customer documents, government documents, regulatory and statutory documents, MSDS's provided by suppliers, etc.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

Randy

Super Moderator

DoD, DDESB regulations, instructions for equipment, NFPA, NEC, ASTM, ANSI, CPDS,...etc...

Any documents that you are required to use within the defined scope of your EMS that originate from outside the development and initial control of your organization.

A

Al Dyer

Short but simple as could be but: If it affects your business in ANY way, find a method to control the document. It is just a good, prudent way of doing business!

Al...

Top Bottom