How to comply with AS9100 Clause 7.6 - Monitoring and measuring devices to be used

L

LLOYD TODD

Any Ideas on how to comply with AS9100, Para 7.6? Can someone provide a sample of a "generic" procedure that defines the guidelines for inspection/test device selection?:confused:

AndyN

Moved On
Re: "process for determining monitoring and measuring devices to be used"

Lloyd:

Thanks for your first post! Welcome! We'll move this to an appropriate forum from the one its in!
Andy

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: How to comply with AS9100 Clause 7.6 - Monitoring and measuring devices to be use

Any Ideas on how to comply with AS9100, Para 7.6? Can someone provide a sample of a "generic" procedure that defines the guidelines for inspection/test device selection?:confused:

Can you be a bit more specific on what you are looking for? Are you looking for a procedure to address all of clause 7.6? As far as "inspection/test device selection", what kind of measuring equipment are you referring to?

For measuring equipment selection, I've run across requirements for a 10:1 tolerance ratio. Is this what you were looking for?

L

LLOYD TODD

Re: How to comply with AS9100 Clause 7.6 - Monitoring and measuring devices to be use

AS9100, para 7.6 states: "The organization shall determine the monitoring and measurment to be undertaken and the monitoring and measurment devices needed to provide evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements. " My question is how, besides reviewing their customer's inspection and/or test procedures, would an organization comply with determining what tools are needed to inspect and test product for conformity? I'm looking for something generic, some sort of general guideline.

J

Jeff Frost

AS9100, para 7.6 states: "The organization shall determine the monitoring and measurment to be undertaken and the monitoring and measurment devices needed to provide evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements. " My question is how, besides reviewing their customer's inspection and/or test procedures, would an organization comply with determining what tools are needed to inspect and test product for conformity? I'm looking for something generic, some sort of general guideline.

No documented (written) procedure is required for this section of the standard per se. The section you have quoted from is saying, for the most part, that you must have measuring equipment on hand capable of making the required measurement based on the requirement usually specified by the drawing.

This is the old 4:1 or 10:1 rule regarding accuracy of the equipment when compared to the dimensional tolerance of the product. Start by creating the register (list) of equipment you have on hand as required by the standard and add to this list the manufactures stated accuracy of the instrument. This accuracy information can then be used to select the needed instrument to inspect the product to the requirements.

B

Beauclan

Hi Lloyd,

The best guidance document I have ever found to choose a measuring device was on this forum. It is TS-026 by the Lord Corp.

I am not proficient in making attachments, but go to the Post Attachments List at the top of the page and put "Lord" in the <keyword> field. It will come up.

Hope that helps.

AndyN

Moved On

No documented (written) procedure is required for this section of the standard per se.

True, but impractical! The activities of a well managed system for controlling measuring equipment is unlikely to work if vested in someone's head! It's a risk for the business if that person leaves! Better get how the process works (possibly a procedure) down on paper.........

One technique is the use of a 'lab scope'. This is required in ISO/TS 16949 and I've rarely seen anyone actually use it, other than to get registered!

If constructed correctly, a 'lab scope' can identify the ranges of inspection and test (calibration too) capabilities and the equipment used. It can be a couple of pages for use when conducting a feasibility review of the customers specs, comparing the required features, dimensions, specs and tolerances etc. to the company's actual equipment.

J

Jeff Frost

True, but impractical!

Actually it could be covered in the quality manual based on a make or buy decision related to equipment calibration. Heck a good part of the requirements listed in Clause 7.6 could actually be part of a good calibration database.

My very first recommendation is understand what is being required by the clause, make notes about how you could address these requirements as it pertains to your make or buy decision. If you are not performing calibration in-house you will not need to write a procedure defining calibration environmental conditions and methods. These requirements just need to be communicated to your calibration service via a purchase order and could be defined within your purchasing process (Clause 7.4).

Environmental conditions related to use of the equipment on the shop floor could become part of your inspection process.

The key really is to understand what is required, how you will address the requirement and then flow the requirements into proper process within the organization.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On

As I posted before, Jeff. True, but impractical.

Even for those who outsource their calibration, it needs more than simply putting a spec in the PO. We read here, almost every day where people don't know as much about measuring equipment controls as they should. They place their 'trust' in a cal. lab and often get taken to the cleaners - not 'deliberately' - but often because they don't know any better! It just isn't that simple and its important to be very aware of the fact that people will read such statements as 'gospel' and do only that, without any other knowledge.

I suspect many think the only thing you have to do it comply with 7.6 to have an effective system. Maybe if you have competent personnel, who know about how a calibration system runs - which, given the outsourcing is an oxymoron isn't it? Shouldn't we be considering all the other, related requirements of ISO 9001 which support and are part of an effective system? Past experience shows 'calibration systems' to be a target rich environment! I wonder why!

Sure it doesn't have to be complicated, but it is a complex, multi-faceted process to manage. Thinking otherwise - particularly in an AS 9100 environment is dangerous.

B

Bob the QE

Seeking input on this one....In our procedure covering 7.6 we specify that
* All standards and instruments used for product acceptance shall have a sticker affixed that indicates the following information:
a) Date of calibration;
b) Due date for next calibration; and
c) Calibrated by.
As well as "a unique identification number that is traceable to the calibration standards used to calibrate it"

We intended to exclude instruments that are used in process set-ups that have nothing to do with the dimensional requirements or acceptance of the product. Also on our records of inspection the ID of the gage being used MUST be recorded with the results. So no sticker, no ID, no use for acceptance. Quite simple I thought:(
We recently received a hit because a torque wrench did not have a sticker even though it is not used in product measurements/requirements acceptance. The reason according to our auditor, torgue wrenchs are meant to apply a degree of torque that MIGHT be a requirement. We have two calibrated torque wrench's in our calibration sysyem for this. Second, a caliper was found to be missing a calibration sticker, a for reference only, not be used for product inspection or other type of label. The reason given "the standards says all instruments must be identified". I have read and reread 7.6 and I am not seeing that. We do maintain a register of monitoring and measuring devices and define their calibration procedure.

Input on this as I am scratching my head on how far do we have to go, rulers used to do rough measurements, tape measures, set-up indicators:frust:

Top Bottom