anil123

Please help how to comply the requirements against ISO/IEC 17025

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: ISO /IEC 17025 Laboratory Requirements

Please help how to comply the requirements against ISO/IEC 17025

We like to help, but can you be more specific?
Are you a laboratory or seeking the services of a laboratory?
Are you seeking accreditation to ISO 17025?
More details in a post yield more responses from ISO 17025 experts.

Stijloor.

A

anil123

Re: ISO/IEC 17025 Laboratory Requirements

We have a in-house laboratory where we conduct the testing of material for the parameters like impact, hardness, tensile strength. Do we need that this laboratory requires to comply the requirement of ISO/IEC 17025?
We are already ISO 9001:2008 company. Do I go for certification for this laboratory separately against ISO/IEC 17025? Need guidance

Last edited by a moderator:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

We have a in-house laboratory where we conduct the testing of material for the parameters like impact, hardness, tensile strength. Do we need that this laboratory requires to comply the requirement of ISO/IEC 17025.
We are already ISO 9001:2008 company. Do I go for certification for this laboratory separately against ISO/IEC 17025? Need guidance

Accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025 is not required unless you are considering testing for other organizations.

Stijloor.

BradM

Leader
Admin

Accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025 is not required unless you are considering testing for other organizations.

Stijloor.

To Stijloor's point:

He's right: getting that accreditation is quite expensive. Now, seeking to operate the best lab that you can have for your process is not a bad goal. Within that, you might choose to comply with the standard; or comply with sections in the standard that would help improve your processes.

If you have a lab and are conducting calibration within that lab, I would think you need to have adequate control over relevant environmental conditions and such.

AndyN

Moved On

We have a in-house laboratory where we conduct the testing of material for the parameters like impact, hardness, tensile strength. Do we need that this laboratory requires to comply the requirement of ISO/IEC 17025?

If your organization is looking to get the most reliable results from its test lab, then implementing ISO/IEC 17025 is the right thing to do. You can use much of your existing ISO 9001 system to help - there are a number of common requirements, specifically section 4 of 17025.

If it would give your customer confidence that your organization tests its products properly and those tests are fundamental to the quality of the product (like steel for example), then you could seek accreditation of the lab. It is a strategic decision for your top management to make.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Other folks have given great answers.

One other thought, an internal lab may need to be accredited, in particular if the results will be used for certification.

Since you are in India, you should also contact NABL to find out if they have training available to help you learn the best way to implement ISO/IEC 17025.

A

alnser3

Other folks have given great answers.

One other thought, an internal lab may need to be accredited, in particular if the results will be used for certification.

Since you are in India, you should also contact NABL to find out if they have training available to help you learn the best way to implement ISO/IEC 17025.

If you decide to pursue accreditation, definitely get some training. When I first took over our system we were transitioning from ISO25 to ISO17025. I thought I knew what I was doing because I had helped with ISO25. After a year of preparing, our first audit resulted in a really long list of deficiencies. I then took a training class and realized I’d spent a year “spinning my wheels”. After the training class, I knew what I was doing (mostly) and it’s gone much smoother since.

Top Bottom