How to compute Control Limits for Stability tests?

D
Stability tests

I need to know how to calculate control limits for stability tests. Any experts?
Thanks ahead of time !!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'm posting a reply to 'light the bulb' - maybe attract a reply. I'm not a statistical person. If you get real needy, e-mail Howard Atkins - he's the moderator of one of the forums. He's pretty statistical.

Anyone have an answer for here?

D

Don Winton

Dawn,
I may be able to help, but need more info. Can you provide additional details of your requirement.

Best Regards,

D
I am writing a procedure on claculating stability. When I read in the MSA book a calculation which I don't have with me right now, but I was confused as to how to claculate the control limits. We have started stability tests on a chart, and it is a regular Xbar chart. We need to calculate the control limits to get an accurate range of the readings. Does anyone know of SPC programs which will give you the actual stability of the master part?
Thanks for the help!

D

Don Winton

Dawn,

You have started stability tests using a “regular” Xbar chart. However, you did not mention a chart for dispersion (R, s, sigma, etc.)?? Assuming a dispersion charts exists, then the calculation of the limits is straightforward for a “regular” control chart. If a chart for dispersion does not exist, that is another matter.

Control limits do not give an accurate range of the readings. Rather, the purpose of control limits is to determine when a process is in or out of a state of statistical control. A process can be in control and still not be stable. Perhaps you are referring to process capability? It sounds, however, that what you are trying to do is not typical. Perhaps I am still missing something. Additional details may be required.

There are many SPC programs, but I prefer Statview with the QC module installed.

Best Regards,

D
Thanks Don,
We have a customer who wants us to perform stability tests on every gage we use to machine their parts, including micrometers. We do not have an SPC program which calculates stability.I have discussed this with someone and was informed to use moving range charts and we should be ok with that. Haven't tried it yet. Thanks!!!

D

Don Winton

Dawn,

Be sure to discriminate the difference between “stability” and “statistical process control.” I would suggest that your customer does not know the difference, either. Rather than stability tests, would not repeatability and reliability (R&R) tests be more suitable? Maybe, Maybe not.

Best Regards,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R How do I extend Correction factor of Calibration cert to compute instrument accuracy Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
M Using Minitab to Compute & Compare the Mean and Standard Deviation Amount Using Minitab Software 7
D How to Compute the Accuracy Class for a Weighing Scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D How to compute the Permissible Errors for Class 2 Weighing Scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Accuracy: Is there a specific formula to compute Measurement Device Accuracy? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Minitab v15 Precision to Tolerance does not compute? Using Minitab Software 1
R Method to compute Cpk for Attribute Data? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
D How to Compute "Inventory Turn Over Time" - TS 16949 Clause 7.5.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Is it acceptable to use S bar to compute CPK? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
G The basics of how to compute Productivity in a company Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Stability, Linearity vs. Bias - Do we need to compute them all? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Precision/Tolerance Ratio for 1-sided Specification - How to Compute Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L What is the standard method used to compute Attrition rate Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
M Attribute MSA-CrossTab Study Example in MSA Manual:How to compute the Expected Count? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T More GD&T - We can't compute Cpk using GD&T Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D All Dimensions listed on control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 25
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J Antiviral Mask or Mask to Mitigate or Control Corona Virus Manufacturing and Related Processes 29
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1