How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat

garyf2017

Involved In Discussions
Hi experts- how do we compute or estimate a micrometer or calipers flatness using optical flat? Is it by just counting the bands and give a value- we have a monochromatic light. a step by step guide would help a lot.

just confused on how the values are calculated based on the bands distance etc..

TIA

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Gary,

Some more info would be helpful.
I've used micrometers and calipers my whole professional life (at least until I replaced most with a CMM)...and I've never heard of measuring caliper flatness...only it's repeatability, accuracy and reproducability.

What is your end goal in trying to do what your trying to do?
Did someone question the flatness and parallelism of the micrometer faces? Something else?

RW451

Registered
Gary,

You have the correct idea. Used to have procedures but can't place them at the moment. However, just go to YouTube and search Kement.co.uk. There are a few to get you started on creating your own procedure.

Regards.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R How do I extend Correction factor of Calibration cert to compute instrument accuracy Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
M Using Minitab to Compute & Compare the Mean and Standard Deviation Amount Using Minitab Software 7
D How to Compute the Accuracy Class for a Weighing Scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D How to compute the Permissible Errors for Class 2 Weighing Scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Accuracy: Is there a specific formula to compute Measurement Device Accuracy? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Minitab v15 Precision to Tolerance does not compute? Using Minitab Software 1
R Method to compute Cpk for Attribute Data? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
D How to Compute "Inventory Turn Over Time" - TS 16949 Clause 7.5.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Is it acceptable to use S bar to compute CPK? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
G The basics of how to compute Productivity in a company Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D Stability, Linearity vs. Bias - Do we need to compute them all? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Precision/Tolerance Ratio for 1-sided Specification - How to Compute Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L What is the standard method used to compute Attrition rate Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
M Attribute MSA-CrossTab Study Example in MSA Manual:How to compute the Expected Count? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T More GD&T - We can't compute Cpk using GD&T Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D How to compute Control Limits for Stability tests? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
S Is there a difference in the process? Analyze residuals, construct interval estimate Using Minitab Software 2
S Least squares estimate, regression model and corresponding residuals Using Minitab Software 13
J How to Estimate the Number of Replicates on a DOE (Design of Experiments) Six Sigma 5
0 The Uncertainty of an Estimate of the Bias ISO 5725-1 - Help Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
B Interpretation of Hodges-Lehmann's estimate of tau Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Z How to estimate Uncertainty for Instrumental Results Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I Cpk < 1.33 - How do I estimate actual defects? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Q Quick ISO-TS 16949 Electronic Copy Cost Estimate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E How to Estimate the Time of GTAW and FCAW Welding Procedures? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Z Estimate Spread of Tolerance Stackup for each Dimension to Cp Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Gage R&R estimate of confidence interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M How do I estimate sigma level for my workshop? Six Sigma 14
P Cost Estimate for how many hours to measure a part (Full first artcle) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A How Can I Estimate Cp? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Micrometer anvil chipped General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G Procedure Creation specifically for dimensional (caliper, micrometer, dti) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
W Standard for Micrometer Anvil Flatness Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G Caliper or Micrometer's Dimensional Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Manual Procedure with Uncertainty Budgeting for either a Caliper or Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Uncertainty Budget for a Micrometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Laser Micrometer Suggestion (if any) for diameters that are +/-.0001 inch General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T A question on Calibration on In-line Laser Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Micrometer Anvil Placement to measure the diameter of Steel Wires Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
C One Inch Micrometer Calibration Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
W Micrometer Storage while not in use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Can anyone share a completed Gage R & R on a Micrometer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
W Thread Micrometer Standard Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Micrometer Calibration Using a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 12
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
M Calibration of a Micrometer used as a Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Laboratory to Calibrate Objective Micrometer needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4